Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 6

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

The National Chrysanthemum Society is holding its annual convention in VA this weekend. http://www.mums.org/

One of the local growers of show chrysanthemums lives in Frederick! He's featured in this Post article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/the-hidden-world-of-exhibition-chrysanthemums/2015/10/20/ef9a7c54-736d-11e5-8248-98e0f5a2e830_story.html

The pictures are gorgeous! The article says this is his last year growing them, though.

I just read about speedie but can't find the post anymore.

I can't imagine a worse time, having to deal with constant physical pain and then losing your mother. :(

Does anyone have her address? I'd love to do something for her, maybe send her some flowers?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great idea, I would contribute to that as well. How sad for her, losing a Parent is such a hard thing.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It was on Plant Addicts 7. Very sad indeed to have just one of those problems (medical and loss of parent), but how overwhelming for both to hit at once. If anyone has her address and feels comfortable sharing it via a D-mail, please do so. Thanks.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Is there something she might need or that she could use other than flowers? Flowers are nice but I wasn't sure if there was something more practical or not. Either way, I would contribute.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Count me in, too!

What about a nice container (or set of pots) that I bet she could put to use right away bringing plants inside... maybe a big enough container to hold a couple of her mom's favorite indoor or outdoor plants?

SSG, can you take "point" on this? If so, anybody who wants to contribute can Dmail you and get your address or paypal address for sending $...

If nobody has her snail mail address, can we find her through her workplace? I don't remember the name, but I know somebody does!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

A quick search for "lightweight planters large" on Amazon turned up a wide assortment of possibilities.

set of 17, 14, 10 inch "wicker" look cylindrical planters
http://www.amazon.com/Keter-3-Piece-Woven-Planter-Set/dp/B00DVEU6TC/ref=sr_1_22?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1445966286&sr=1-22&keywords=lightweight+planters+large

set of 16, 13, 10 inch "stone light" weathered white planters, tapered square shape
http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Light-Antique-Planter-3-Piece/dp/B00VJJWVSA/ref=sr_1_48?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1445966551&sr=1-48&keywords=lightweight+planters+large

I'm not suggesting we have to buy from Amazon, either... another possibility if y'all like the planter idea would be to get in touch with her "Bossman" and see what they have available that he thinks she would like... he might even be willing to tuck a mum into it or some such.

??

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like both of those planters and I am a Prime Member so if we do order from Amazon I can order it so there won't be shipping costs. Just an idea.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know, I was thinking of something more basic like a hot meal or money to hire someone to clean her place.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got Prime, too.

Jeff, that's a point worth considering. Guess I was focusing on something plant related. Not sure if she could use cleaning, leaf removal, Domino's pizza, or ?

Planters seemed halfway between flower arrangements and a "practical" gift... and I liked the idea that she could use them for plants that reminded her of her mom, whether a houseplant that was her mom's or a favorite flower / color.

Let's keep the ideas coming... we'll know "the one" when we see it!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I had thought about a nice Fruit basket but then thought that she might not really be eating well. Both from the pain and the sadness so I am not so sure about food, having someone to come and clean or do other chores would be nice but might see like an intrusion at this time.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

They do have those edible arrangements that are super yummy and even have chocolate covered strawberries. Those brighten even the darkest day.

Jill, I'd be happy to be the point person. I have Amazon Prime, as well, if we end up going that route.

I like the idea of a small garden-related gift (like pots, flowers, or an indoor plant) in addition to a practical gift.

Seq, in my parents' culture, cash is given to the person who's grieving so they don't have to worry about funeral expenses. But money can be an awkward thing to give/receive if you're not used to it. What about a Visa gift card?

Does anyone have her address? I think Sally and/or Catmint may have visited her at one point, but it may have been at the nursery.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I haven't visited speedie's house. I am in on whatever. Cut flowers, or a lightwieght garden figurine that can be shipped... chocolate... gift card...((thinking....)) is there Cracker Barrel in Waldorf? ...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

... or a garden gnome? I don't actually know if she is in the anti-gnome or the pro-gnome camp... saw a fun anti-gnome statue the other day, a T rex carrying away a couple of screaming gnomes, with another in his mouth and another underfoot.

that's very funny!
( not what I would send at this time)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is funny,
Jeff, I ordered one of those fruit bouquets for my Mom once, a little pricey (don't think that will be an issue for us) it was very good and very nice. I am good with most of the ideas tossed out here. I like the idea of the garden pots, fruit bouquet, flowers.
How about a garden angel?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Found a resin angel from Collections Etc. I have several of their resin sculpture pieces (swan, fairy garden house, owl birdhouse, etc), and they're all well done. This one is just $17 with shipping, so it might be nice to send along as a "thinking of you" while we get $ together for a gift card or whatnot.

http://www.collectionsetc.com/product/thoughtful-angel-garden-figurine.aspx

I like the angel statue idea.
The second link- there is a Prime eligible one along the bottom, same size, less$

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I have an email in to speedie asking for her address. I'll let you know.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have Speedie's address from when she was so kind to send me seeds of the hollyhock that is her avatar. I'll dmail it to SSG.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I like the garden angel idea too, the first one suggested by Holly is the best.

In case this topic ever comes up for me, I am in the anti-gnome, anti-garden figure camp for our gardens, although that angel is really sweet and I like it a lot.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS-
The reason you could not find the Post from Speedie is because she
sent me the information in an e-mail.

I sent her one back asking to clarify IF she wanted me to post this information
here on DG to let everyone know. She said it was OK. So--I c/p the part where
she told me/us about her Mom passing.

I have her address and can send it to SS via D-mail. I would like to check
with her before I did that, though. She is VERY private about information like that.
I'll take that chance.....

--Of all your choices as a gift--I like the Garden Angel idea the best.
Speedie is very religious. Like the one Jill found:
http://www.collectionsetc.com/product/thoughtful-angel-garden-figurine.aspx

--My second choice would be a gift certificate or money on a Visa card.
That way, she an use it for whatever is needed...

--My 3rd choice would e a gift certificate (if available) for someone to come
and clean her house.

Perishable gifts like food and flowers are a waste of money as they "perish in no time.
Garden stones????? I for one would not care for them--but then--she once sent me one--
so maybe she does love them.

I am sending SS Speedies address via D-mail Please do not spread it around..

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, I really like the "praying angel" statue that Holly found! Joseph Studios has some other nice ones (I like the one with the bird), but this one is simpler (no fancy Roman robes) and just really beautiful.

I also think a praying angel is the best pose for an angel statue for Speedie.. as Gita mentioned, she has a strong faith. And something without a "memorial" verse might be a better choice, no second guessing what words will feel "right" to her... the same verse can hit just the right note with one person and seem trite to another. So, I like the angel idea better than the memorial garden stone. :-)

making notes... no gnomes for Jeff, no stones for Gita... LOL

Sequoia, I found the T rex anti-gnome statue for you... or does it violate a "no statuary" clause? I think it might actually be Godzilla? "The Great Garden Gnome Massacre" http://www.amazon.com/BigMouth-Inc-Great-Garden-Massacre/dp/B00JF8381G/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1446000929&sr=1-1&keywords=gnomes+funny

The same company makes a pants-down "gnome on a throne" and a pole-dancing "naughty gnome," as well as a "butcher gnome" beheading a hapless pink flamingo.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha Critter, that's a funny statue. I wonder how the T-rex managed to pick up those gnomes in his arms...

Thank you, Aspenhill and Gita for her address!

Praying angel is my first choice, as well, and the Joseph's Studio angel that Holly found is also my favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/Josephs-Studio-Contempo-Praying-Outdoor/dp/B00BHIZRUC/ref=sr_1_85?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1445988219&sr=1-85&keywords=garden+angel+statues

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, please Dmail me your PP address so I can send some $ to you. Since that angel is your first choice, let's go with it! My suggestion would be to go ahead and send the angel now... once we're done collecting $ and know how much extra there is, we can follow up with a gift card of some sort.

She needs that angel asap, I think!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

DM me too with your PP address. Thanks!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG, me too on the PP address.

The angel has been sent! The link above wasn't a Prime candidate, so I found another one that was a bit cheaper, a Prime candidate, and also allowed a gift message. It should arrive by Friday.

Please dmail me if you'd like my paypal address.

I'll send her a Visa gift card later with any money that's remaining.

Thank you, all!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks SSG for taking care of this.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That dinosaur eating the gnomes is hysterical.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great laughs, I need one. ROTFLMAO

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, SSG!

I don't think I could quite bring myself to do the flamingo-butchering gnome, but I might have to find a place for the Godzilla one.

(Marta) Frederick, MD

Sorry to change the topic ....Sally, what do you do with the pine needles?

Marta,
I started with using them to mulch blueberries which may (but probably does not) help keep the soil acid for them. Blueberries for sure need mulch. Then when I had more than I needed for the blueberries, I started using it in the connected flowerbeds. I like how they look, and love that they're free and I'm keeping them out of the yard waste pickup.

Mark just mowed the lawn couple days ago , now it is totally covered in leaves. Our trees were sort of young when we moved here, so I guess it isn't my imagination that there seem to be more leaves every year, lol. I try to keep all of them, in compost. Shredding with the mower really helps.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We love pine needles as mulch. We only use it in one bed where the white pine is. We gather up all the needles that drop on the road and use them to add to what drops in the bed. We would love to get an extra bale of pine needle mulch to supplement but it isn't sold in our area.
Shredded leaf mulch is another fav of mine.

I got pine needle bales from western NC few years ago. Those needles are much longer and harder than the pines here that I collect from.
Here we have some white pines, I think, and one other landscape pine with especially soft pretty needles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.