Plant It and They Will Come #8 Migration 2015

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

'

Thumbnail by coleup
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, is that snow and ice on that tree? Not good.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Just got this via Journey North
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/monarch/spring2016/08/monarch-butterfly-migration031116.html

"A winter storm of historic proportions has struck the monarch sanctuaries in Mexico. There is no word yet about how the monarchs were affected. However, the sequence of events is of particular concern. The storm began with rain and was followed by hail, snow, and sub-freezing temperatures. The butterflies are more susceptible to mortality from freezing when wet. Photos from El Rosario Sanctuary show trees within the sanctuary core zone toppled by the strong winds. Spring migration from Mexico was imminent but mass departure had not yet occurred meaning the full population was in the storm's path. More information will be posted here as it becomes available."

Not good at all Nuts, I'm heartbroken.
.Also, I'm sure that some of the ones in the storm's path were ones we raised and saw nectaring on our plants and as itty bitty instars ate the milkweed we planted and preserved and blessed our lives and taught gentle lessons of transformation and courage and made our children and grandchildren smile and care tenderly for all creatures great and small

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hope all is going well for the 2016 Migration!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got a lot of late season monarchs. A friend who raises caterpillars took most of them. I have some in my yard I left to their own accord and I have three chrysalises in my dining room. We also got a lot of late season black swallowtail. My friend also took most of them but I have one chrysalis and one young one that is still black. We took the black swallowtails in because there was a red wasp - Trogus pennator attacking them. I don't know what will hatch next spring because of this - wasps or swallowtails.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have been tagging this yea and I think I will get just my sheet of 25 tags sent on their way. We had more losses than expected, must refine my rearing situation next year. Plus side, we found a fabulous wild milkweed patch late in summer that hosted a lot of cats.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.