Plant It and They Will Come #8 Migration 2015

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The one I took outside last night didn't budge the entire night, so I probably should have just left it inside to begin with. Oh well, live and learn. It's fine, though. Looks like I'll have 3 more by the end of the day!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your advice, on the cuttings, Judy...
Just one more question----

Is having 5 cuttings in a 6" pot too much? I could remove the stem cuttings
and put them in their own pot. That would then be another pot of 4 cuttings...

Next year--would one plant out the one pot of 4 cuttings or try to separate them?
I would think by then, they all will be seriously rooted and pulling them apart
may not be the best idea....
????????????????????????????

Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, I use four cuttings for my large containers and they fill in nicely. When I originally got the plugs from North Creek there were two or three stems in each 1" x 1" square. The roots are not fragile and can be teased apart even when full grown, especially in potting soil. Being somewhat woody, they are like little trees. Currasavica is not fussy about being moved unlike Common and tuberosa which have long tap roots. Go ahead and make that pot of the 4 stem cuttings. You will able to see which works best. Remember that if yours start to actively grow during indoor time that you will be able to take cuttings from your cuttings!

What are you doing if anything with your 'mother' plants?

Reminder, do not use systemics, etc on your milkweeds or it can harm the eggs, cats and butterfly adults. The commitment to untainted milkweed is the bottom line in doing one's part for the cause.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Catmint, if you still need fennel, I have a whole bunch that I'm about to pull out!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OOOPS!!!!

I just potted the cuttings up3 days ago--and I used Bonide Systemic Granules
on top of the soil to deter Gnats.

Will remove them asap from this soil and do fresh pots. I can also re-cut the bottoms
of the stems--if that will help. Of course, they are NOT rooted yet--it has only been
3 days since I potted them.
Will use these pots for some other cuttings....

Thanks for the heads-up! PHEW!! Almost screwed up!

Here are my 3 pots....Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AND--here they are--re-potted, stems rinsed off and put in new Pro Mix.

Thought i would try ground egg shells and see if that keeps the Fungus Gnats
out of the pots.

How about the pond "doughnuts" you float on top? They contain BT.
Is that harmful too? I have the chunky granules of it. You sprikle them on
top of the soil and the slowly dissolve and kill the larvas.

Just asking....... G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

SSG I would totally love your fennel!! Thanks so much!

Muddy, congrats on that release! It sounds like it was fine! :-) Did any of the others eclose today?

I came home to find #6 flexing his wings in the habitat--just took him out and put him on the aster bush.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Three more eclosed today! I saw that the neighbor with the MW patch was home, so I took the tent over there so that she and her daughters could see them. Turns out a home-schooled family was visiting with her, so there were a total of 6 kids, some of whom got to help the Monarchs transition from tent to Asters (neighbor has a nice pollinator patch in addition to the MW patch).

Photos to follow....

Muddy, that's great that you were able to share the experience with others, including the kids!

Katie had a sleepover on Sunday night, and on Monday when moms were coming to pick up their daughters, one Monarch had eclosed, and they got to admire him in the backyard--definitely added to the fun!

Interesting, though--one girl said disdainfully of the Monarchs, 'Oh I did that in 3rd grade' (like, 'why are *you* doing it as an adult? that's for children!', and her little sister who came with her mom, announced, 'I did that in kindergarten!' Both girls showed very little interest in the butterfly. Their mom went nuts though taking photos, and the other moms and girls really enjoyed it as well.

Anyway, it made me wonder what the kids are getting out of the school programs, to have these two show so little interest because after all they had 'done that' a long time ago in school. :-/

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmm, it sounds as if their teachers made the experience more of a chore/boring schoolwork than special/fun or, at a minimum, failed to instill wonder at the process!

Here are a few pics I took...a boy and a girl released on my neighbors' Asters and a ? on my Butterfly Bush.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1

They are beautiful, Muddy! :-) Great photos!!
yes, I think you're right--there was some kind of failure to instill wonder, and somehow caterpillars transforming into butterflies becomes on the same level as learning all the states' names--already 'did that' in 2nd grade... :-/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Catmint, I think Katie is around 13, 14? Let's not discount those girls wanting to show how they are not little kids anymore, in front of the other girls.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Congratulations, Muddy! They look healthy and ready to go! I think it is much harder to impress this generation but that was also a teaching moment for the mother, don't you think? I'm sure the little one was copying her sister.

I've been away so late thanks for the Orange Mint Moth. Yes that was Mountain Mint and it seems to be their thing. When I found a google image online, it was also on Mountain Mint so maybe there will be a couple more next year.

Interesting advice on overwintering the tropical Milkweed. I was thinking about trying to overwinter the roots by cutting them back and burying them next to the foundation. Flowering by June sounds like a plan but I don't have room to bring them all in nor do I want to bring so many plants indoors anymore.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

This pic was from a couple of years ago. All the licorice plants at the store were hosting American Ladies. Of course I bought some but couldn't afford the whole lot of them. Ever since then, I buy the plant every year but never found any more! And this was from June 2010 so I've been trying for a while!

This message was edited Oct 15, 2015 11:19 AM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Interesting discussion of Trop MW cuttings, etc
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/657540/

Below pic 1 of Trop MW plugs from North Creek last year and pic 2 showingthat it was 3 separate plants.

Pic 3 is of 12+ large containers of TMW I'll be overwintering on my unheated front porch. Last year I gave out 2 or more chrysalises to many people to enjoy eclosure and release of over 400 Hand reared Monarchs. This year I gave out chrysalises and also gave 2 - 3 cats and a big pot of TMW for feeding them! Next year I'll do the same plus get experienced hand raisers to grow their own supply of MW. Will be pre ordering plugs of Common, Swamp (pink and white) and Tropical Milkweed from North Creek next week or so along with Fall nectar plants in the hopes of establishing 5 - 10 more Monarch Way Stations in my area.

Yep, fun sharing this wonder full adventure with young and old.

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting about the licorice plants, Loretta! What is the botanical name for that plant?

5 Monarchs have eclosed; 11 to go!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup, you're doing amazing work for the Monarchs!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anyone want to contact the Newspapers re Judy promoting and establishing
"Way Stations"? AND--hand-rearing hundreds of Monarchs? What a feat!!!

I think she deserves some kind of public recognition for all this.

Who has any contacts with the press?????

G.

I totally agree about the wonderful job Judy has done with raising awareness about the Monarchs! I look forward to doing my share with more MW plugs next spring!!

Muddy, congrats on those 5 Monarchs all eclosing on one day!! Bet you had fun watching them all!
I came home this evening to find 5 of mine had eclosed also! But it was too late in the day to release them :-( so I put a branch of aster blossoms in the habitat with them, and I'll take them out in the morning.

well, those are nice explanations about the 2 girls blowing off the Monarch, giving both the girls and their teachers a break--you all are much more charitable than I am! ;-) However, the friend said it when only her mother and I were there, and then her 7-year old sister said it later when only her mother and I were with her. So, I don't think it was peer pressure or imitation. Interestingly, their mom was excited and encouraged both the girls to come close and look at the butterfly, but both were completely disinterested. In contrast, when the moms of the other girls came, those girls were excited to see the butterfly up close, as were their moms. So, I think it was really those 2 particular girls.

Some people just aren't in touch with nature.

I was marveling at the beautiful blue sky the other day, but DH couldn't understand how I could find a plain blue sky beautiful. "There's nothing there!" he says.

Quote from ssgardener :
Some people just aren't in touch with nature.

I was marveling at the beautiful blue sky the other day, but DH couldn't understand how I could find a plain blue sky beautiful. "There's nothing there!" he says.

LOL, Terri! Yes, I guess people are just different in this way. :-)

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The licorice plant in the picture is Helichrysum petiolare 'Limelight'.

Judy that is an incredible job you've done!
I have a question about the tropical milkweed which is in full bloom here. Everyday a lone monarch stops by and frost is coming soon. Is he staying here because the flowers are still blooming? Shouldn't he get going or will he get stuck here because of the milkweed?

hi, Loretta. I think when the temps get cooler, they know it and join the migration. A month ago, when my first brood eclosed, they would linger in the yard nectaring for a few days, including on the tropical MW. But with this brood, they're taking off as soon as they're able to and I don't see them again.

Released 6 Monarchs yesterday morning and 2 this morning. Only one Monarch chrysalis left! I hope he gets going *soon*, especially with the low temps expected tonight!
Here are the 6 from yesterday:

Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just wondering.....question.....

When I think of "migration" I usually think of a large number of "X" migrating
in a group. Assuming your 6 Monarchs stick together--it would be a mini-group.

If a single Monarch ecloses and nectars up and then takes off--will it fly to Mexico
by itself? OR--will there be another generation, started by this lone monarch, that will
reach Mexico?

Thinking back--when I posted about the bunch of 5 Monarchs all at my NE Aster
"nectaring up"--I now understand that they all could have eclosed somewhere nearby
and were prepping for the long flight.

Not sure I posted it here--or on the other Monarch thread....This was in September..

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

hi, Gita. That's a great question. I googled around a bit and it appears that Monarchs fly alone during the day and then come down in the afternoon to feed, and then they roost at night in clusters. (see below) Apparently they use thermal winds to travel along on, and I like to think that if a small group starts out together, they could remain in contact the whole way down. ;-)

http://monarchjointventure.org/news-events/news/fall-migration-how-do-they-do-it
"So why do monarchs form overnight roosts? Scientists still have many questions about roosting behavior. Monarchs migrate during the day, coming down at night to gather together in clusters in a protected area, usually a tree with a suitable microclimate surrounding it. Monarchs migrate alone—they do not travel in flocks like birds do. So they often descend from the sky in the afternoon to feed, and then search for an appropriate roosting site. Most roosts last only 1 or 2 nights, but some may last a few weeks. It appears that monarchs select roost sites based on multiple factors. Monarchs seek sites with protection from the wind, nectar sources nearby, and trees with a structure that facilitates clustering. In the north they might use conifers, while in the south they might choose oak or pecan trees, especially if the trees are overhanging a stream channel. We don’t know if monarchs actually seek each other out when they are looking for a spot to roost, or if large numbers of them are seeking the same microclimate and just happen to end up in the same locations."

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That's an interesting article, CatMint; thanks!

I have 2 butterflies in the tent and another looks like it'll "pop" any time! It might be too cold for them to fly tomorrow, though : - (

I am hoping it warms up a bit this afternoon the way it did yesterday. That way these last guys can take off and find a good thermal to fly on! My last chrysalis will either pop any minute or it's no longer viable.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Based on that article you found, CatMint, they'll be able to fly if it's 50 degrees and sunny. Fingers crossed! I'm going to let the neighbor girls who helped raise these Monarchs as caterpillars release them.

For now, I put a small potted Goldenrod in the tent, along with a vase with Butterfly Bush flowers and a sprig of Goldenrod in a weak sugar water solution. I also put sugar water in a little tupperware lid with a new, chemical-free scouring pad for them to stand on while they sip (I read about this on some Monarch site).
They don't seem interested in nectaring from any of the above, although they're resting on the flowers.

You have very lucky Monarchs, Muddy! :-)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm not so sure about that, but I do my best! It didn't get warm enough today for them to be able to fly, so I put them in my cat's tent....without the cat of course ; - )
I swapped out the sugar water for a honey solution, put in more flowers and gave them some watermelon, but they're not eating yet. They just stay wherever I put them.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I forgot to add the pic of their temporary home.

Thumbnail by Muddy1

well, that looks like butterfly bliss to me! :-) hopefully tomorrow will be a little warmer and you'll be able to release them.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Did your last one eclose, CatMint?

I have 5 BST chrysalises and one little caterpillar that probably won't make it. It's been the same size/instar for weeks.

No, it hasn't eclosed yet, Muddy! :-( So, I'm thinking it didn't make it for some reason.

I have one little BST caterpillar that I think has been the same size for too long, too, Muddy! But then I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me. :-/ Guess I'll wait and see.

Yesterday, I separated my 4 remaining BST cats from the 8 chrysalises. I put the habitat with the chrysalises outside on the front porch and found some rocks to set around it and weight it with. Hope it holds against any winds! I moved the 4 BST cats into the Monarch habitat, empty now except for the lone chrysalis, which I'll probably remove after today. :-(

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is for Muddy, Coleup, and catmint....

Cut this cartoon out from the newspaper yesterday.

Hope you "get it".....I think I did ????

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, nope, I don't get it at all. I have no idea what the cartoonist was trying to communicate.

I tried to release 4 Monarchs early this afternoon. When I checked on them at about 5:30, three were still on the flowers on which I had placed them, so I brought them back in for the night and will try again tomorrow. One flew to the top of a tall Witch Hazel and was still there, but I can't reach it because that WH is at least 12 feet tall.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--
My thought was that the caterpillars are eating the discarded skins laying around
as they molt/grow.

Weird--but that is what went through my mind.
I posted it here because of all the work you do with Caterpillars.

SO? Maybe I am way off and have weird thinking......
G.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Less than ideal weather conditions for release are quite worrisome to Monarch aunties and uncles. More than a few of us have seriously considered ways to get our eclosors miles and miles further south and west, past the cold and stormy weather systems existant like a giant barrior to the overwintering sites in Mexico. It is not easy being a migrating Monarch! With only 1 - 2 % making it to adulthood, no one knows what percent of those make it back to form the basis of next years population. Our efforts have tweeked the odds that some decendants of Mid Atlantic born will be among those who carry on. Bravo all!

Via con Dios little ones!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Muddy, I'm glad you brought the three back inside. Monarchs are sitting ducks for predators if they can't fly. If the one just out of reach is still there in am, it may have gotten down lower on the bush or even dropped to the ground Hopefully you can spot it. There is some info on how to get Monarchs to 'nectar' in captivity ig they are not doing so from those lovely blooms in their tent (ie may need to unroll thei probiscis and place in sugar water or on a piece of melon or pumpkin....)

Catmint, have you used a flashlight to see if their is any butterfly structure in that last chrysalis? Remember that I gave you the smallest youngest hungry cats to raise. Is there something other than the passage of usual eclosure timing that has you thinking it won't emerge?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Loretta, Last year I had a hand reared male that I released in my garden. Before he could fly off, he was attacked by a bird and lost a small part of a rear wing which made hime fly funny, He hung around my garden for almost three weeks, chasing off other butterflies and appearing from a nearby tree anytime I went in to the garden or out to my car. Males are territorial!

Here in the Mid Atlantic we have over lapping fourth and fifth generation Monarchs pluse the fifth generation migrators passing through, It is impossible to say which your hanging arounder is part of. I do not think that the migrating generation switches gears when it has a food supply like Trop MW. The ones that reach Mexico do not stop whhen they find naturally occuring Trop MW but continue on to the Oxemel fir forests.

For me, the main concern in relying on Trop MW is the potential increase in in transmitting OE infection.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.