September Blooms

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol...that sounds like a season ender...

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, patience my dear, patience ! LoL!
Coming shortly.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

As promised.
Honeysuckle Vine - Fragrant Cloud - new to my garden 2015.
Blast From The Past - LFO
Jay Farquhar - LFO
Purple Starfish - from Taylordaylily - blooming in water. Held up for picture. FFO
Seedling - Stella's Ruffled Fingers X Unknown

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Neat honeysuckle Mike!!!! I had one years ago and it was such a rapid grower that I had to dig it out. Now wish I still had it.

Very nice Mike.

Yum is right!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL.... Mike, I should probably disclose that patience is NOT my strong suit! :)

Gorgeous pictures!! Love the honeysuckle and that Jay Farquhar! Very nice! It is just wonderful to see something blooming!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Very nice Mike, is BLAST FROM THE PAST the one in your avatar? Looks like one Maryott's gave me.

This is the only daylily that bloomed in September, a new on I got on the LA, it is called CHERRY CREAM PIE.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

Mmm, Cherry Cream Pie...

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone.
Susan, I could eat some of that "Cherry Cream Pie" right now. It's a beauty!! Praying that it will multiply FAST so that you can send some up NORTH ( LOL) !!!!!
Genna, I remember reading somewhere that " confession is good for the soul". LOL!
Susan BFTP is the second flower. My avatar is Mike Grossman's "King Of Camelot" which I got from him as a gift.
Here is a few more that I didn't have time to post earlier.
Black Eyed Stella - reblooming
Asters with the last Blast From The Past surrounded.
Major Wheeler Honeysuckle - never stopped blooming.
On And On - the little energizer bunny for sure.
After Awhile Crocodile - spotted this one at 5pm when I got home.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone.
Susan, I could eat some of that "Cherry Cream Pie" right now. It's a beauty!! Praying that it will multiply FAST so that you can send some up NORTH ( LOL) !!!!!
Genna, I remember reading somewhere that " confession is good for the soul". LOL!
Susan BFTP is the second flower. My avatar is Mike Grossman's "King Of Camelot" which I got from him as a gift.
Here is a few more that I didn't have time to post earlier.
Black Eyed Stella - reblooming
Asters with the last Blast From The Past surrounded.
Major Wheeler Honeysuckle - never stopped blooming.
On And On - the little energizer bunny for sure.
After Awhile Crocodile - spotted this one at 5pm when I got home.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Some more that's blooming.
Aster Wood's Blue
Solidago Fireworks
One Last Pie - this should go good with Cherry Cream Pie for sure. They are both by Mr Murphy and both share the same pod parent After Awhile Crocodile
She keeps coming back: Rosy Returns
Yellow Lollipop - reblooming.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more.
Stella's Sparky - reblooming
Apricot Sparkles - this little diamond duster doesn't stop.
Forsyth White Buds - keeping the bud building going.
Iris Immortality - reblooming
Nature Boy - reblooming

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Love that blue aster Mike!!!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yea, there is Bleeding Hearts in September.
Specially prepare for my little friends - The Humming Bird
Salvia Faye Chapel and Cardinal Climber vine
Red October Hosta - starting in time for October. Warning. not a whole lot a red as pictured on the net on this one, nevertheless a hosta that blooms in October. Strategically placed by the back door. Plan to dig one up and spread it around and put a Jack Frost Brunnera next to the other one for spring blooms to compliment the fall bloom. Did I mention JFB foliage? LOL!
Toad Lily - the rabbits spared some of these this year.
I cheated. I left these garden helpers right side up to catch some rain water from the good soaking we had a few days ago. I have a rain barrel that I am going to set up next spring. I use these cake domes to trans port, mixed fertilizer, mulch, compost, potting soil, etc into tight places. Consider this your tip for the day. LOL!! Have a great day everyone. Going up to near eighty today. No rain in sight (sigh) for the next several days.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Cindy. It does self seed if you know what I mean.
You can't go wrong with Asters and Anemone in the fall.

Thanks for the 'Tip of the Day', and thanks for sharing ALL your fall blooms. Your Asters are beautiful and one day I'm going to find the name of your Anemone, I love that.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Really? Cake domes? That sounds like a good excuse to eat more cake. I have a few also. lol.

CHERRY CREAM PIE was a beautiful flower but faded very quickly and the plant is not as vigorous as some other pinks that I have.

I love Golden Rod and Red Cardinal Climber, they are way too invasive here. I am cautious of new cultivars like Fireworks which really isn't that new but I saw a photo of one with a sucker plant growing six feet away!

Major Wheeler is still blooming here, it has gotten huge and has bloomed off and on all summer. It is in a moist bed which the hostas love and I do not have to water.

Aster, SEPTEMBER RUBY blooming now. It is a pretty weed and I need more, right behind the house, I have seen extra butterflies and a hummer last week.

UPDATE...I have seen NO aphids this year! And is it a coincidence that I have no rust this year? humm, I cut all my daylilies down to nubs last September and disposed of foliage. No spraying, it was a set back for the plants, I now see this, but it got rid of a lot of my problems because they were covered in aphids and rust at this time last year.

Make it a Wonderful Day!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan LOL for real! Cardinal Climber is a annual vine around here. The hummers love it. Solidago Fireworks does not send out runners in my garden. I have six plants and that I bought as buy three get three. Who could resist this fall bloomer.
Three cheers for no rust.
There is a taller looking Solidago type plant that send out suckers. It grows up to about five feet plus. Mine has been here at least four years now with normal increase at approximately three feet.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I would love to have Fireworks, it is sure a nice one and I do not think any of them are invasive in zone 5. In warmer zones it gets much bigger and spreads rapidly, but no where near as bad as the Solidago canadensis, unfortunately I do not have time to pull up anymore seedlings. I have enough already here in Va.

Cardinal Climber reseeds like crazy and does a mass take over in one season, it can cover a shed or other shrubs. Also people get it mixed up with Cypress Vine, but that is invasive here also.

Thanks! I am happy about the results I just wish I had fertilized in spring. Things got busy at work and nothing got done!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOVE that solidago fireworks!! I wonder if it would be invasive here ? I will need to do some research on it - never seen it here. I love the cardinal climber vine as well, but I KNOW it is invasive here! :( I don't know if putting it in a hanging basket would keep it contained??? Does it generate lots of seeds? or just runners? I know there was a house in a nearby town that had a circle concrete sidewalk in their frontyard and the entire area was filled with the cardinal vine. It was so pretty - but FULL - I guess the concrete kept it contained in that area.....

Beautiful blooms Mike! I need to at least pick up some mums for my porch to have a spot of color!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh Susan we cross posted.......... I was afraid of the reseeding! :(

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Got this one as Catherine Neal. For the first two years she has started early as opposed to very late as it is registered. She is currently reblooming. The first rebloom flower was on the 25th. This is the second and better looking Catherine. LOL!!
Bitsy
Bitsy with six current scapes.
Delphinium - reblooming
Dahlia

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

May May
Toad Lily
Fleece Flower - blooming since June.
Only The Lonely and Canna Lily
Apricot Sparkles

Very nice Mike...Catherine must've had some work done, she is better looking. You've still got lots of color in your garden.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Mike - is the Fleece flower invasive? I have never heard of that one before either - but it looks interesting. Do the hummers like it?

The "only the lonely" in the next to the last photo is nicotina? or am in wrong about the name?

Gorgeous flowers! Love that purple dahlia!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna you are right about nicotina.
The hummers do visit the Fleece Flower. It is not invasive in my garden, however she likes her feet to be kept moist.
Robin the color is spread out around the garden.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, keeping feet moist is next to impossible in my sandy soil......so I better just steer clear of that one! I keep trying and trying to improve the soil - maybe someday I will get to where it will retain some moisture in this 100 plus heat!

The weather is has been so nice this past week - temps starting off nice in the mornings and although it has warmed to 90+ several days, it is just nice to get a break from the terrible humidity and the cool mornings are nice. Yesterday it only got up to about 84 for the high. A little muggy today because there is a chance of rain - I sure hope it shows up but instead it looks like its clearing off. :(

I did a bunch of weeding yesterday and it is so dry I had to water as I went to be able to weed!

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi HazelCrestMikeb, how did you get your Calla liliy to bloom and how early did you put them out . I saved the corns from last year and I got nice leaves but no blooms , I live in zone 6

My beatiful lily has done so well this year .i had a bloom everyday,also the Asters and impatients are still beautiful and my Zinnia is popping their heads up.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Nicotina is invasive here, thousands of tiny seeds. It is an annual but no replanting here just get out the way. lol. They are very fragrant and in the south attract aphids and gnats and get fungus. :( darn!

Mike, is that 'Red Dragon',Fleece Flower ?
I read comments from north and south and almost everyone loves 'Red Dragon', well except zone 5 and up they said it does not make it through the winter. Also in the south it gets wider than it is tall, most people say 2-3 feet tall.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1134/

Plant Delights Nursery has a White Dragon and they said they had no problem with seedlings in the ten years that they had it. Could be because this cultivar is sterile. Roots easily from cuttings though be care about PP, PDN said theirs got 5 feet tall, but the 'White Dragon', is not actually listed under Knotweed it is just called a 'Giant Fleece Flower' (Persicaria polymorpha ) . I would love to try this but they do not carry it anymore for some reason. I also found a pink Knotweed and a virginia knotweed that I might try.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Persicaria-polymorpha-for-sale/Buy-White-Dragon-Fleece-Flower/

Every year I say I am going to plant some Zinnias and I never do! Yours are beautiful cytf.

My large Knockout Roses are blooming again but no pic because it has been raining all week.

My aster 'September Ruby' is a newer cultivar and I can recommend them for people in the south because it really didn't have any fungus problems plus the color was awesome!

*~*

This message was edited Oct 1, 2015 9:37 AM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That September Ruby is very nice! I had a few zinnias that reseeded from the ones I planted last summer. I really loved them last summer but just didn't get it done this year!

My knockouts are just starting to rebloom.... I think the lack of water has them slowed down a lot!

I think the birds dropped the flowering tobacco seeds in my yard and they came back every year and are beginning to become invasive . I am constantly pulling them up ever year.

Sorry virginiarose forgot to thank you for your lovely comment. I have Purple and Pink Asters but your Red ones are beautiful and very unusual.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Genna and cytf!

cytf, Can you cut the flowers off and put down some Preen? I have to do that with Dead Nettle, each flower has 23,000 seeds in it. I have been pulling them for a long time but they bloom in late February and it is too cold to be pulling weeds, they are already out of control by the time it gets warm enough to get out there, but on the plus side they hate hot weather and what I do not get will die on its own in May and If I can remember to put down Preen to prevent germination that helps a lot.

We had a very dry August so the Knockout's made up for it in September and I now have buds on my fall blooming Camellia bush. My DH over pruned it at the wrong time of the year, the bush is handling it well, but is very small and he whacked off most of the buds, you are supposed to wait till after it blooms. lol. Also Beauty Berry is full of berries.

For the last three days or so we have had a coastal storm and we are drenched and have been dealing with flooding and windy conditions. Now, today Va. declared a State of Emergency because of Hurricane 'Joaquin', even if it is not a direct hit, will be a ton of rain, with more flooding and wind. lol. This must be my happy year!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

CYTF, in answer to your question in regards to the Calla Lily. I plant them in the ground after I prep the spot, usually with some potting soil, a couple handful of compost and some fertilizer. If you want blooms sooner you can start them indoors before the temps get warm enough to plant outside. Some gardeners stagger their planting time to extend the bloom season. The same can be done for other tender bulbs. I usually plant them all in " one fell swoop" because I have daylilies to tend to. LOL!!!!
Since I plan to start some seeds indoors late winter I will try to start some other things indoors a few weeks to give them a head start. BTW, your flowers are beautiful.
Susan, love that September Ruby. My Fleece Flower is called Firetail. I have also seen it call other things, including WEED!!
Nicotina self seed here also. I just pull out anything that's not in a favorable spot. I look at it this way. I don't have to start the seeds myself. I do the same thing for Cleome. I currently have a Nicotina plant that came up in a small crack around a old gutter drain in concrete.
Alma Potschke Aster
Happy Returns - Looking happy!
Forsyth White Buds - still bud building. I see one more bud. I hope it survive these upper forties/low fifties nights and bloom.
Genna you could always prepare specific spots in the garden with bulk garden soil for certain plants.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Some more blooms.
Nature Boy
Dahlia
Helianthus Lemon Queen - getting "too big to fail". LOL!
Helianthus Lemon Queen close up. Got this one from Heronswood years ago. Keeeeeeep getttttting BIGGGGGGER.
Red October Hostas is blooming. Warning, picture on the web has over exaggerated the "RED". A old saying come to mind "don't believe the hype". I like it because it blooms when ? In October silly!!!!!! LMHO!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more blooms.
Yellow Lollipop
Stella's Sparky
Purple Starfish - got to get these in the ground soon.
May May
Rosy Returns

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Some more blooms.
Bitsy, I incorrectly counted six scapes a few days ago. It is actually eight scapes. As one of Stella D'Oro's parent you can see where the performance came from. What's that old saying, "Like mother, like child".
Pineapple Lily draped over a Calla lily leaf.
This has self seeded. Another word for invasive. I am not telling what it is. You want some??? Stop twisting my arm, ok I will tell!
Campanula Pink Octopus

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

"A diamond in the ruff". This rose that was bought as part of a "Magic Rose" collection died last year. I was surprised to see this little one coming up next to the dead mother plant.
Peacock Orchid or Gladiolus Acidanthera, aka Gladious Callianthus.
Said rose in 2013

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.