Daylilies: September Blooms, 4 by HazelCrestMikeB

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HazelCrestMikeB

In reply to: September Blooms

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of September Blooms
HazelCrestMikeB wrote:
CYTF, in answer to your question in regards to the Calla Lily. I plant them in the ground after I prep the spot, usually with some potting soil, a couple handful of compost and some fertilizer. If you want blooms sooner you can start them indoors before the temps get warm enough to plant outside. Some gardeners stagger their planting time to extend the bloom season. The same can be done for other tender bulbs. I usually plant them all in " one fell swoop" because I have daylilies to tend to. LOL!!!!
Since I plan to start some seeds indoors late winter I will try to start some other things indoors a few weeks to give them a head start. BTW, your flowers are beautiful.
Susan, love that September Ruby. My Fleece Flower is called Firetail. I have also seen it call other things, including WEED!!
Nicotina self seed here also. I just pull out anything that's not in a favorable spot. I look at it this way. I don't have to start the seeds myself. I do the same thing for Cleome. I currently have a Nicotina plant that came up in a small crack around a old gutter drain in concrete.
Alma Potschke Aster
Happy Returns - Looking happy!
Forsyth White Buds - still bud building. I see one more bud. I hope it survive these upper forties/low fifties nights and bloom.
Genna you could always prepare specific spots in the garden with bulk garden soil for certain plants.