Plant Propagation ,The Basics Continued Sept 2015

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

If they aren't susceptible to blackspot, I should grow them instead of Roses. I've been growing things that don't listen very well.

I was just thinking while looking at your picture. You'll be up to your ears in pots by winter's end, if you don't slow down some.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is why the tree pots in there and a couple of buckets , I have four or five to finish , then as cold weather is coming that will likely end my pot making , They take a while to set and dry .
Plants to set , trees to trim , debris to mulch
Plenty to do At least two Rudbeckia to reset , What your looking at in that photo .
Smooth Blue Aster , False Aster , Turk's cap , false indigo , White aster (growing wild in the ground , some will grow between some of the pots , lillium
Hemerocallis , A black cherry hanging in from the far right , two or three kinds of campanula ,
Oh yeah , four kinds of Echinacea ,and Liatris ,
Lots there to look that empty ain't it ?,lol
Came back to say we get lots of Black spot around here also , Mipii , )

That plant and pots ,, I am either lousy at gardening or a Great Camoflage and Deception player .. ??? lol Of course depending on How I did my pots or Plantings , after winter it may all go to pot , and then I will try again ,, here's to hope and passing the time , lol

This message was edited Sep 10, 2015 8:56 PM

There is a lot to look at, there's only one little empty spot. the difference between a good gardener and a bad gardener is the bad one doesn't come back and try again when all seems to go awry.

Tell me about your debris mulching, what do you use?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sunflower stalks , Tree limbs ,, weeds after seed removal if possible , dead vines , everything into the compost bin if possible , sometimes , wood chips from limbs ,go around the flowers ,
Burdock and nettle make good compost , Tuberosa Sunflowers act as an acceleration .

old clean up story ,,

Nice thing is even if a few of the pots fall apart , the way their setting , the plants will grow and bloom anyway , than when the plants are done , I can try and move them around , some say okay , some say no , plants are like that ..

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, doubt if they would dry very fast in the cold and rain. But JU!! I thought Obedients didn't bloom until the second year!. What did you do, spit on them?

Yes, you do have a lot of work to do. We are looking at about 3 days of 80s and then the rains come. So, you have what? About a week to get to the 80s I am talking about? 3 days to dry is not much JU.

It's the humidity that causes black spot isn't it? I know tho, one year my sister in Spokane pulled up all her Lupins because of the mold, mildew, black spot, whatever, can't remember. I think she thought it was because of the humidity that year. happens.

I've heard you use soda for it? Well, JU, I think I will seed some Obedients this weekend then. If you can do it in that deep shade, I should be able to.

Bob said his beets are ready, so will pickle some of those too. He got them in really late. I know they are normally an earlier crop. Hope he didn't wait too long. He definitely is not a gardener. Oh well, he is trying, and hopefully learning. Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen Those are plants from Debra , three seasons they have been there one last year bloomed , this year a few more from self seed action I have them in three different places around the yard now also .. zoom growers .. Sometimes fall planting gets spring blooms , it is usually not recommended to fall plant though
I say go with it , especially if it works ,
I can hardly get beets to grow here , three or four crops a season when they do ..
I seem to be trying to hard sometimes instead of just doing , it is a thing ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, I just told Bob what you said about 3 or 4 crops a season and told him to get his butt out there and pull them. Yeah, it's only 10:20. He can use a flashlight. I want to pickle them. I am going to be really mad if they are so old they are tough because he didn't pull them soon enough.

Well, Bob is getting Candy's blankets out of the dryer so she can go to bed. Poor little girl. She just has to sleep any ole place. LOL 'nite. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah well Don't need to pick on Bob to have him aggravated at me or the site ,

Here are a few odds and ends today

3 and 5 are iris and daylily seedlings and corms
Autumn clematis past bloom prime ,1
A hibiscus blooming late 2
4 is a freaky looking watermelon

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, the hibiscus is beautiful. The watermelon looks just like the one in my refrigerator. Think it is meant to be that size etc. Are you going to pick it and eat it that size? Let me know how it is.

Just listening to the weather people discussing our future. sounds like rain, rain, rain. Oh well. I really used to look forward to this time of year. Things really went crazy this year. Would sure love to move out of here. Oh well, just dreaming again. ttyl, think I will read a bit and then to bed. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm just out here looking for you guys. Think you are all hiding from me. jen

We're waiting for you to eat the watermelon Ju...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Their still growing a little , I was tired yesterday , digging , planting , trimming trees ,
Stormed like crazy this morning , so I slept ,

Lots of toads . make a house for them also .

I have lots to do out there

We had a great little thunderstorm last night, 2.5" of rain and lots of nitrogen. I've been trying to stay ahead of the fall cleanup schedule too, digging, planting etc. and still have lots to do.

I've been enthusiastically building my Daylily stock, I'll be planting lots of seeds this winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here a few odds and ends
purple ruffles basil
milkweed (syrica ) pods
Cinnamon basil
Cucumber for seeds (green pickling type

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I forgot earlier , do any of you know how to use Sunflower Rubber ?

Does it boil down ,
Is there anything mixed with it , to make it shoe properties ?
uh , huh , I am at it again , picture later , of Sunflower Chewing gum ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, are you serious? Sunflower Rubber? Last pair of shoes I had lasted so long my feet grew out of them.

What are Milkweed pods? Tubers below ground? Like roots? And that has got to be the ugliest cucumber I have ever seen so why would I want seeds from it? (LOL)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I don't why would you ? cucumbers unless their green or white ?

Jen Yes Sunflower Rubber , So you had a pair of shoes made of Sunflower rubber ? or you wore your last pair of off the shelf shoes so rarely , your feet elongated going flat and stretching before you got back to them? , As sort of putting your foot in the wrong shoe ? lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

My feet went thru the holes in the toes.

Yes, green or white cucumbers. Orange is for pumpkins and that is the weirdest shaped pumpkin I have ever seen.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well Jen there are a few more of those weird looking pumpkins , cousins are like that some times , lol

We could on about it but we would only be chewing the Gum , lol oh . and by the way , I can take my teeth out and do that also ,, he , he , lol

Sunflower chewing gum from this morning

This message was edited Sep 19, 2015 6:05 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You totally lost me on that picture.

Okay, you got me going Ju, is Sunflower rubber harvested from the pith of the stem?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That's the one Mipii , right on !!!
Right now I am trying to see if it will boil like syrup . Like cane sugar , But only a few of those rubber like gum pith melted , others are same ,
At the moment I have a light brown tea syrup that sets like a cellophane that ain't there lol

Well after a few hours I did get some sunflower sugar on the side of the pot , Waited to long or? I will use some rubber solvent and see what happens ,
I am still looking for a handy sealer , that thing , you know , although a good store bought I do have ,
Going to grind up what I made tonight and try again ,

This message was edited Sep 19, 2015 11:14 PM

This message was edited Sep 19, 2015 11:16 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, when I read your posts I see a mad scientist stirring the brew, with goggles on in case it blows up, and granny standing there wringing her hands. LOL, am I doing a good job?

Glad you understand him Mipii.

Jen, I sure find it humorous that Ju can't get anything by you without having to explain himself. He sure is adventurous.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Was that professor x , The Mad Scientist in the old films ,making the miniature people , shrinking them ,,
I don't mind showing my failures either , as long as a few successes happen
What grows here will , what I can do ,I can , What won't grow here won't , and what I cannot do , I cannot , They way I take it , no problem
Jen's just being the same as myself punn"in me like , "I am old , don't be mess"n with me "lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Why is that Mipii? Because I am curious? If I weren't the way I am, JU and I would have nothing to talk about. Does it bother you?

JU and I are in love. Does that bother you too?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am not going to touch that , with 5,000 miles of wireless ,, not going there ,,!!! lol
Bob reads that and it is Barbecue time ,lol

Houseplants , and another table besides these there is ,,goodness
in keeping with the thread .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

No Jen it doesn't bother me, it makes me happy. If you weren't the way you are and Ju wasn't the way he is it wouldn't be nearly amusing. I love it, keep up being curious...being you! Lol!!!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Poor JU, LOL, sorry if I embarrassed you. Love to tease you. Gee, I wondered why Bob was cleaning that BBQ and putting on a new tank of gas.

Think I heard a big GULP clear out here. Was that you JU?

JU, that Spath in the middle picture, upper right hand corner does not need light. I know it is blooming. Don't know how. Give it some water, clean it up, taking the dead leaves etc. off and move it away from whatever the light source is you have on them. They are a bit crowded anyway so they will appreciate that. NO!! Not in the closet!!

I don't know why I am telling you these things, as many plants as you have. OH, BTW, where did the tubers come from on your Milkweed. Isn't that what you said? Didn't know Milkweeds did that. Are you suppose to take them up like dahlias? For the winter? They are so odd looking, are they hollow? Is that why you called them pods and not tubers?

Just teased you a bit too Mipii >smile< Kinda boring out here today. Just waiting for the game to come on. Gotta do something for kicks. Had to stir the pot a bit.

Jen, the milkweed pods Ju photographed are the actual seed pods, not tubers or roots. They kind of look and feel like a hollow cucumber, except one end is pointed. Enjoy your game.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

3rd person , non responsive input , I am covering cereal boxes with flat soda bottle plastic ,
Then I will cement paint them , Then When , I will show them and some small new plants , I will hope for ,, End of input ,
Type one URL ,, code system , GRD, BIO, Green screen , end,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, you are screwy. Looking forward to this new experiment of yours. Always something. Never a dull moment with JU.;

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I still have one those goofy plant towers I am playing with also .
You are in mood of some kind aren't you ,lol
You know , I am up late , Monday morning here ,, early ,,
Bunch of old wood pallets and trim pieces of wood for wooden planters , If I manage to stay awake this week I will see how many I can finish ,
loads to get done ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, no JU, I was just bored this afternoon when I was teasing you and Mipii. Watched the Seahawks get beat and that is depressing. Whatever, tomorrow is another week. Hope the news from you all is better than last week.

What are you going to do with the pallets JU? You know, I think most of them are made of either Oak or Ash. Hardwood. That is good. Will be good if I knew what you were going to do with them. Have fun whatever you do. That is the important thing. Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still feeling icy today Jen? and how about this ,

Ice box melon . stings some eh ?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU what is the yellow flower? Nettles or something? You said it stings?

Where is everybody? Sharon, Evelyn, Kitt we think we know where you are. Saw Nancy. Nobody else around, Rusty?

Must be the change of weather.

jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Forgot this is the propagation thread. Where is Debra???? I'll bet you all are cleaning up the outside getting ready for winter??? What a terrible thought.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen That is the goldenrod, there is a wasp on there to the right

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh you are right! Well JU, I found a stink bug on my electric blanket control. I didn't take his picture tho. First one I have seen in a long time. Wonder where he came from. It is getting cold outside so suppose we will get a lot of stuff now..

Must tell Bob he needs to spray. Only time we use pesticides and that is around the doors, windows, oiutlets, etc. Any openings in the house. Daddy long legs, one year had a ton of those.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We have all kind of wasps and bees that love the goldenrod and asters . I am moving BES around . Gave a half dozen to a sister . still a bunch of little ones back there ,
Moving things around doing a few plants . in a while

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.