Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1401135/

About the size of an average zinnia Jen

1 Coin Gold , came true from hybrid seed
2 Cracker Jack
3 7 ft tall Tithonia ,, Couple of Monarchs and a few bees in there

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

YES, LOVE THE CRACKERJACKS, MINE ALWAYS COME FROM SAVED SEED AS "GIANT" YELLOW ( OR GOLD) MARIGOLDS. i LOVE YOUR BLOOMS jU. ( YES, I'M SNEAKING IN FROM WORK AND HAVE CAPS LOCK ON)

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes my blooms are very large too and I am beginning to like them . I planted them in my vegetable container and they are doing a good job keeping away pests from my plants.My peppers did not get any bugs making holes in them this year.The eggplants are still full of blossoms .

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Cytf, that sounds like there is truth to that old wives tale...Marigolds deter pests.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

well watermelons

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Nice watermelons JU.

Beautiful blooms. My zinnia I planted still have not blooms. The one I dead headed and tossed the seeds have grown and are blooming. I took all of the left over Zinnia seeds I purchased and tossed in the front landscape. It has been to hot to check on them.

100 degrees today. I am ready for cooler weather. I see on the news you guys are going to get a heat wave.

Enjoy your gardening. I want some of that morphine plant.

Lol Sharon!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

94 here today ugh love the melons, Ju ;D

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice watermelons .I tried them once and gave up on them.

I never grew Watermelons before, I like the foliage too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Their only about the size of a good size cantaloupe , So I can't say I grew any this year either ,

Stargazer lily bulbs and bubils , bunches of them

Thumbnail by juhur7
Winnetka, CA

Ju ... those watermelon are terrific! I had a couple of lovely melon vines (orange flesh type) growing from my compost.....and for some reason lost both of them... not sure why. No bugs and they usually thrive on heat... I know they are heavy feeders ... and the soil they were in should have been a good place for them... this year was an odd year in the garden...
I too love the foliage of watermelon... it's very pretty. Have you ever grown the moon and stars? The stargazers are really pretty lilies aren't they? I had some orientals bloom this year - they were beautiful, but because of the heat only lasted 3 days and I wasn't able to get out and get a photo. Mine were a soft pink and were so fragrant. Lillies are some of my favorites!.... Fragrant plants always seem to me like a double blessing... flowers and scent!! My tuberose are blooming now... WOW! They are amazing... I am really enjoying them.

Quote from NF2932 :
Fragrant plants always seem to me like a double blessing... flowers and scent!!

I wholeheartedly agree NF2! I planted a new Stargazer this year, I've wanted it for a long time.

Enjoy Ju!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those stargazers Have been there a while an autumn Clematis is growing over them thought I would take a few to be sure I still have them ,
NF2932 I have grown moon &stars . I can't get them big enough either , Those two are an old Sangria , and a Orangeglo .
Back in a while , it is a hot afternoon at noontime here , not as hot as out west , it will do though ,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mipii Here is the seedling you were wondering about , wrong plant? doing well ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Oh you're such a good Daddy Ju. I still can't tell if it's Echinacea or Rudbeckia, I'm still hoping it's the former. Thanks for sharing!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Okay The first two are ;
Debra's Idea , The water pump and air bubbling for cuttings . A Black Willow , making roots ,

Last pic is .. Robin ,, two that are Rudbeckia , or Coneflower ,, See , I do that also ,, I can't tell

I tried the bubbler method Ju, without much luck. I even tried a hydroponic fungicide to no avail. You have a Willow there, that ought to root pretty easy. Some people swear by Willow water instead of a rooting hormone.

I deadheaded all my Rudbeckia so I don't have any of those volunteers again (if that's what they are) and will be WSing some Echinacea for you. Even though the seedlings are at the base of the Echinacea, chances are the Rudbeckia will self seed the easiest.Oh boy I'm learning, lol!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mipii That is why I chose that , willows are usually super easy , lol , I am still at it I have three new White swan Echinacea , a new Campanula tall Peach leaved , Still getting the Smooth Blue Aster going , Several New Baptisia , Turks cap , all up and going .
I am looking forward to a few more Blooms Next Year , Besides the Annuals , not much bloomed for me this year , of course the Purple Echinacea Bloomed extravagant this season , Bloom performed about everywhere this year ,
Of course That all is as to how my planters work out ,
92 outside , so not much doing in the Sun , Of course I do have a few shady places to enjoy lol

1 White Swan Echinacea
2 Peach leaf Campanula
3 Baptisia (australis )
4 Smooth Blue Aster
5 Turk's cap .
I am hoping they get a little bigger before cold weather

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Good job Ju...and good job staying as cool as you can. I got up early this morning to get out and do some gardening before the heat hit. I'm now ready to take advantage of the (slightly) cooler evening temps before dark.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mipii I tried to be up early enough , but it was hot this morning also here I was only looking over a few today ,

1 Trillium
2 White cucumber Little longer and bigger around than the coffee cup

I forgot the part about here is to staying as cool as a cucumber

This message was edited Sep 6, 2015 6:59 PM

I love Trilliums and cool Cucumbers!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You guys have really been busy this last week. JU, I really admire your determination. Starting new seeds and plants right up until frost. Once I get everything I want growing I sit back and enjoy the blooms, and just try to keep them blooming. I would feel so bad if I spent all the time you have starting all those new plants and the frost came along and hit them all.

What do you do with them all? Also, the watermelon. I had Bob buy one just that size yesterday. Haven't cut it open yet, but I am looking forward to it. I will pretend that it is yours. LOL.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I am only growing them for next seasons blooms , and did this a few years ago and did not get many , Than I was away for a while ,
This time i will get several , the small plants a few of them some one will get them soon ,

Plants get a few weeks to grow yet , they will likely do okay . They seedlings only have to get large enough to root node ,
I have misplaced a few seeds ,, I will find them though

I've heard we are in store for a mild winter, perhaps you can grow right up to December...keep your fingers crossed.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, I want to plant Obedient plants and they are a perennial but might take 2 years to bloom? Should I be doing that too? Only I think I would plant the seeds direct into where I want them,. what do you think?

Mipii is right, could be one of those years that we all have a very nice fall. Jen

Just re-read that. Sounds funny, but you know what I mean. (by fall)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have been reading through the winter sowing threads here also . I failed miserably at it the last couple of times ,

Jen What color obedient plants , ? and you can direct sow them , all in how you do

I am redoing most of mine , Snapdragon stems not showing the plant leaves hanging over the pot , tray planter being filled slowly ,
Pots of everything ,2
3 the same , we will see next season what happens , or I will say sadly "What Happened " ( like Jen's Fall joke ,, he he , lol

Pitiful looking when not in bloom ain't it ?

This message was edited Sep 7, 2015 7:08 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen a couple of not so good photo's , of obedient plant ,long past their prime this year

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, am I right that they won't bloom for a couple of years? I don't know what color they are. Think I got them from Debra. I am really sorry I didn't get the annuals in where I wanted them this year. But, that's ok, I will have seeds for next year.

Bob has been working outside between rains trying to get some of the trees that fell with the storms, cut up and taken care of. Nice to have the equipment to do it. Sure wish the weather had been better when my grandson was here, he could have gotten a lot of help from him. It was either raining, or the air was so bad with smoke and ashes that nobody wanted to be out there.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You could just put a couple small plants in the ground a sprinkle some seeds around them ,
A few blooms followed followed by bunches that way.
I have those from Debra , where I got mine also .

and the senna plant from seeds from Debra also

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ju, it is fun seeing all the plants in your pots you have made. The pots are most fun. Are you still doing that? It sounds like your weather has changed and now is different than ours. We are getting in the low 70s now and scattered showers almost every day. I suppose I should go thru
all of my seeds again and see if there aren't more to do that with. Good idea. Thanks, JU. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ju, it is fun seeing all the plants in your pots you have made. The pots are most fun. Are you still doing that? It sounds like your weather has changed and now is different than ours. We are getting in the low 70s now and scattered showers almost every day. I suppose I should go thru
all of my seeds again and see if there aren't more to do that with. Good idea. Thanks, JU. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure I have a few pots to finish ,I wear down , so nothing fancy in these , might get to that later .

I am rather satisfied that at least some of the pots are working out , the little plants are doing well , Next season looks like mostly Coneflower and Rudbeckia with the Indigo in the Background ,, Then Asters for fall ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, the nice thing about having them in pots is that you can move them around to places where maybe a taller plant is needed or if they are too tall for where you want them. Also something nice about pots is that the moles etc can't get them.

I think I might have told you one time a couple of years ago I was standing in my perennial bed and felt something move by my foot. I looked down, and watched as a large Rudbeckia with about 5 flowers on it disappeared into the ground before my very eyes. I was shocked to say the least.

I know, you are thinking why I stood and watched instead of doing something. Well, the truth is, I couldn't believe it was happening. Had to watch to see how long before it stopped. What I should have done was pull back to see if I could pull it out with the plant. Whatever "it" was.

Pots also would be good for bulbs for the same reason. Maybe a large round one and several hyacinths, tulips, or??? would be like a bouquet out there. Or, you could move them to a stump, if you have such things in your garden, or yard. All kinds of things when you have pots.

One year I grew Petunias, around the first year I discovered I could start them from seed, and had so many of the big ruffled ones I bought a dozen 88 cent pots at Walmart. I put 3 of those in each one, and set them out throughout the perennial bed. Whenever anyone came over I sent them home with a pot of Petunias. They were beautiful. I sure do miss those 88 cent pots. My daughter and I both both a lot of them and still wish we had bought more. And still refer to them as 88 cent pots. They tend to get brittle over time. Yes, even plastic.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

editing duplicate out

This message was edited Sep 8, 2015 12:08 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tha is usuall true Jen , However the Miss Piggy poppy I was restoring in a pot years ago got ate by a mole destroyed everything as it got into the pot
The ground hog knocked over a pot this year and ate a giant white lilly bulb , left the other pot alone so far ,,
Critters get into everything , Hotter than a furnace here still , wind helps , only wow , One hot , hot September .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OMG JU, no idea those guys would do that. Didn't think they would go after anything above ground. Amazing. Guess you have to set them on stumps like I suggested.

Think I told you I turned my furnace on almost a week ago. I held off as long as I could. I can't stand to be cold. Now, it is suppose to be turning into the 80s by the weekend. Won't last long. 2 or 3 days and then it will get down into the 70s again for a short time and then on down. I hope to get my plants on the deck trimmed up and see how long they last for a bit before we have to dump all the plants out for the winter.

Have a dr. appt in Spokane tomorrow so that day is shot.

How are your appts coming along JU? How about results? Are you done for a while now?

Guess we are the only ones awake. Not that late either. ttyl,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Probably done for a while jen , Right now , only pots and plants , and uh ,, control issues ,
Three of the obedient plants that came up in the shade are blooming ,,

Need moved these do ,

You should have some cooler temps soon Ju. That sure is shady shade, I can barely see how Obedient that plant is. I'll have to take your word, lol ; )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Obedient Robin , just look at and say grow now you little you ,, and it DOES !!! lol
the more shade the later the bloom ,,

I am going to move it to the right of these as you look They will be just out of this photo to the right , and at the back , they will grow pretty tall

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.