Yardening- almost September 2015

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Torrential rain here last night just as "The Voice" was starting, and knocked out the satellite reception. Bummer. I'm not really a TV watcher, but for some reason I look forward to that show. I guess before that it was nice and drizzly, but I was away at work at didn't see it. Good news is that the pond water level which had dropped about a foot during the drought is full again.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wow. Watch while Joaquin wastes Washington...all weekend.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Muddy I will take some as well if you still have some.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wish Joaquin would wash away wasteful Washington wonks

Frederick, MD

Gauge registered 3 1/4 inches from last night. The weekend appears to be a total washout. More rain that we want. I guess it's true, when it rains, it pours !

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice play on words VV. We got 1.65" last night. Looking forward to seeing what Joaquin is doing.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Leesberg got 6 inches! D:

We only got a little over an inch, which was just perfect.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, we did!! Sort of like it was on back-order and it all came at once. Just managed to keep things diverted enough that none made it in the basement.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I mentioned earlier that the pond water level came back up, but now that I can really see it in the daylight, what a mess. Lots of muddy water and a huge swath of mulch floating on top. I won't say EXACTLY what it looks like, but use your imagination LOL.

Frederick, MD

Fun... speaking of nasty... Just spent an hour and a half cleaning out the rain gutters in preparation of the next deluge coming. What a filthy, disgusting job that is. None of us minds getting dirty but that was a whole other kind of dirty.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I worked today 8-4PM. Really killed my feet as I was running around ALl day.
NO watering--(YEAH!) because of all the rain last night.
SO--I spent my 8hrs. putting out stock. Walking non-stop--running around--
filling carts and shelves...helping customers find things--etc....
It was invigorating--but my feet hurt like H--ll.

Got home about 4:30PM--and, immediately, started an "emergency evacuation"
of all my plants outside. People were scaring me--talking about a hurricane heading
straight for the MA. So--I spent 4 hours sequestering ALL loose plants. AAGGHHH...
Took many inside the club room--Many bigger ones in my shed....a slew of smaller plants
off the shelves and into the house. etc...etc....
Piled bricks on the pots of my 2 brugs--as the wind last night blew the DR. S.over.

Since the winds were already coming from the east--I was tucking all kinds of
smaller pots on the West of things.

I am exhausted!!! The plants will all stay in the places I put them all week till this
blows over. If nothing major happens--I have to make a decision. Hmmmmmmm.....

Tomorrow is already October 1st. Most of my plants are scattered now in protected places--
none are really outside. Should I even bother putting them back outside where
they all were--on racks and tables and shelves...OR--should I start--slowly--to bring them
inside for real???? I wasn't planning on it--but with this storm coming--my hand was,
sort of, forced to start doing it anyway.

It would be nice to start to bring them all in...slowly....BUT--I have NOT yet treated any
of them with Systemic Granules which i always do 2 weeks before bringing them in.

Like...My brain is NOT yet ready to accept that it may be time to do it anyway....

NOT my CC's!!! They will stay outside until really cold weather arrives.
By then--they will all have flower buds on their stems---and it will be THE time to do it.

Not planned--but it may be a good idea to start with all this sooner than I thought.

OH!!!! PS...The whole top half of my 9' Purple Amaranth got broken off in the winds
last night. The WHOLE top part!!! That massive bloom cluster weighs at least 10Lbs.!
There must be a million seeds in them. No joke!

SO--All I can do it is put it in a paper bag and allow it to dry out--and then collect
at least 500,000 seeds. All it takes is the ONE that decides to germinate and grow
into this amazing, towering plant I had..... again.
ita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

500,000 seeds, into little packs of 100 seeds each...that is a lot of tv watching seed bagging....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---

That is a chore left for those long nights when i have nothing more important to do.
I simply, CANNOT sit idle while I watch TV! I have to do something productive
while I do that. Gathering seeds and sorting them, bagging them is awesome!

MY favorite productive "to do" is to chop and dice, whatever, in preparation of cooking
something. This satisfies ALL my perfectionist or OCD needs.
Dicing is very good for that--as all the little pieces of ham or bacon, celery or Onion will
"have to" be about the same size. NO rules...just ballpark.

When we have our huge Thanksgiving dinner at work--I always take home two
of the carcass--or other "useless" parts--and am in my glory to sit, watch TV,
and remove every edible bite of meat for the soup I will be cooking.

Then--the bones get "scorched" in a 450* oven to brown them all.
Then--into the pot with all those nicely diced "THINGS" they go. ...YUMMMM....

I cannot stand to be idle! Am I sick---or something---????

G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

CAM, have you ever seen that Angie's List commercial with the guy who's afraid to clean the gutters because the stuff within is 'evil'? Haha, what a riot.

Terri, sounds like a group of Sasquatches used your pond as a toilet after a long night at a frat party. They must have had Taco Bell before partaking...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head LOL. Wonder how long it will take to clear up.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe it will all empty out the overflow when we get the rain from hurricane Joaquin.

Frederick, MD

Never saw that, Jeff... but it sounds hilarious.

I was digging stuff out with some tools but decided my bare hands were more effective. Nasty but they're much more clear now.

someone needs to invent a better system than these stupid gutters!

Uh oh.

Joaquin just got upgraded up Cat 3. It'll be Cat 4 tomorrow and Cat 2 by landfall.

This is no joke. :/

Sally, can we start an October yardening thread? We may have quite a bit of yardening talk in the next couple of days!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, I guess all those Weather Models you were ogling turned into quite the harlots, and now they're setting up a serious brothel in the MidAt. I'm thinkin' theme songs and slogans...

I'm Joaquin on Sunshine - whoa oh...

These Boots are Made for Joaquin
And that's just what I'll do...

I'm Joaquin - yes indeed
And I'm talkin' - about you and me...

Slow Joaquin

Then I'm Joaquin in Memphis
I was Joaquin with my feet ten feet off of Beale
Joaquin in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel?

Here's Your Joaquin Papers

Dead Man Joaquin

!!!

LOL, VV!

You know what's interesting, though? The Euro model (the ONLY one that correctly predicted Hurricane Sandy's path) sends it out to sea, not up the coast.

The other models have it landing in NJ. Poor NJ.

I wouldn't worry so much about this little hurricane except that DH is flying this weekend. :/

Frederick, MD

I'm wondering if VV was a poet or a song writer at some point in his life. :)

After seeing what a category 5 typhoon can do while stationed on Guam, my theory on storms has always been, prepare as if the eye is going to travel right over the top of your house. If it doesn't, then you have plenty of canned beans and bottled water for the next two years.

starting a new thread...go
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1406488/

This message was edited Oct 1, 2015 6:47 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.