Yardening- almost September 2015

Frederick, MD

Jeff, how much did you end up with ? My gauge said half an inch but I would be surprised if that was all we got. It rained a nice, steady, soaking rain for nearly three hours. COOLAMUNDO! And I see the forecast has changed for us.... 70 percent chance of rain now on Sunday.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Our gauge registered 0.02". Basically nothing. It wasn't even enough to wet the ground under the trees. I'm not sure what happened to all that nice radar that was coming up from you but it disappeared.

Frederick, MD

Wow, I'm shocked, Jeff. I looked at the radar before I went to bed and thought too that you were going to get a nice soaking. Hope you get some in this next system !

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah same here but I guess not. My rain gauge was consistent with others in the area too. Four weeks from now I won't care about rain as much. That's one nice thing about winter, I not longer worry about whether it will rain or not. Instead my anxiety about it not raining turns into excitement as to whether or not it will snow.

Frederick, MD

My not caring about rain turns into praying it won't snow. Well.... mildly praying, not a fan but not a hater either.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha....I LOVE THE SNOW!!!! Snow makes winter fun. If it's not snowing, winter is dull and b-o-r-i-n-g.

One of my favorite things in life is standing outside while it's snowing (under an awning of course) and listening. The snow muffles the sounds of life and it's so quiet. Very magical. I also love how it returns a purity to Earth, even if it is temporary.

Frederick, MD

I do love the look at fresh fallen snow, for sure. However...

I don't love shoveling it. I don't love how it looks after it's been trampled on, driven on, plowed on the side of the road and made a mess of and I certainly don't love all the claims that hit my desk afterward.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...touche sir. But we have to take the good with the bad in life.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Dear fellow weather nerds who love weather models,

Here's a discussion of various computer models that are forecasting differing amounts of rain for this weekend:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/09/22/coastal-storm-has-chance-to-bring-big-rains-to-d-c-will-it-and-when/

This gives me the incentive to get the bulbs planted this week before the rain (hopefully) arrives.

Frederick, MD

Or we can move to San Diego. LOL

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Then you will have to pay a lot more for watering your plants. Or grow cacti :o)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Weather models as in the women presenting the weather or as in the computer generated maps?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL on the Weather Models
I'm with you Jeff, I love the snow. It is so much fun to play in. Sledding, skiing, building snowmen. I don't do much of that any more but sitting inside on a cold winters day watching the snow falling, the birds coming into the feeders and hot tubing. Great fun. I don't mind driving in the snow and I do very little shoveling.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol!

Frederick, MD

I think we can all agree on one thing: Those are some pretty darn hot weather models !

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

My prediction is that rain will arrive 5 minutes after you start the grill.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

They'd be hot if they verified...I guess you could say they look hot from far away (HFFA). We'll see how they look up close ;-)

Frederick, MD

Appears they just brought in a homely weather model. Chances of rain early next week just dropped to 30%.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

Loved your observation about SNOW---how it silences everything.

I love that silence factor too--and the pristine beauty of fresh-fallen snow.

Shoveling???? it is hard for me to do a deep snow. Have to, though, to get
out my door and go to work....
Hate dealing with the piles of snow blocking off my driveway that the snow plows leave.
They do it over and over--as my street has two schools on it.....
That leaves double shoveling for me to get out.

Kindly neighbors with snow-blowers usually come around the block and clear
everyone's sidewalks. Us old folks are always grateful for that....

How many of you remember the 4' of snow we all got in February 2009?

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Darn homely weather models. I told you she only looked good from far away. Today the GFS is showing a mega storm on 10/7-8 that will bring arctic air down and we might get a freeze. It will also bring our next chance for rain according to the 6Z run. We'll see. The big story with that one is the cold it will bring. It's two weeks out though so a lot can happen between now and then. In the short term, eastern NC and central and eastern VA are going to get nice rain.

Frederick, MD

Yep, darn high pressure system is going to keep all that rain to the south of us. Bummer.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, instead of us, the low is pimping itself to VA and NC....

Frederick, MD

Looks like they brought in the pretty weather models again. We're now looking at 40% chance of rain Saturday and 60% on Sunday and Monday.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, the models are a bunch of trifling hoes...the GFS says we're screwed for rain until late next week and that cool storm for the 7th and 8th lost its mojo although looks still to be a rain maker for us. I only really look at the GFS until something cool looks like it will happen in the next few days, then I'll look at the Canadian and NAM models too. The ECMWF (Euro) is too hard for me to decipher. The NAM says iffy rain for you on Sunday, none for me.

Frederick, MD

Yeah, 40-60% is the very definition of "iffy". When it gets to 80%, then I'm excited. I believe our friends down in the VA area are in for some nice rain though.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hopefully, but misery loves company so....LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You guys are hysterical. LOL

Frederick, MD

The super hot weather model came in today. Chance of rain Sunday: 80%. Chance of rain Monday: 80%.

The bad news: I won't get much done today, just can't take my eyes off this new weather model.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Better get outside Saturday and enjoy that. We sure could use rain here. But I am so used to going outside anytime, that rain will be a shock to my system.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah we'll see. Hopefully it comes another 15-30 miles north so we get more. Right now it looks like we may be slotted for .10-.25 and you guys will get more.

Washington, DC

Check out klart.se. It's a Swedish weather site that's right more often than Capital Weather Gang.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That website is in another language...do they forecast for Sweden only?

Washington, DC

You simply type in any location you want. In fact, I just added Lititz to my watched list because we're headed there this weekend.
Easy to have temps given in Fahrenheit vs Celsius and so on. Swedish friends were visiting during Hurricane Sandy when WashPost weather forecasts were unreliable, and they turned me on to klart. I've been relying on it for years. Reasonably easy to set up, and I'm a computer clod.
Any Lititz restaurant recommendations?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hmm...interesting. Maybe I didn't play around with it enough. Who are you coming up to Lititz with? There's a bunch of cool places to eat. Fiorentinos is a great place to eat and it's at the Lancaster airport. They have an outdoor patio that's nice. There's also Scooter's, which is on Lititz pike. They too have an outdoor patio. If you're in for Italian and have some money to spend, there's Ciro's off Fruitville Pike on 722 (Graystone Rd.). If you're in for some killer pizza, there's Caruso's on Lititz pike in Neffsville. I love that place and we eat there a couple times a month.

Washington, DC

Thanks for the info, Jeff. Scooter's looks good. Btw, Klart didn't recognize Lititz so I entered Reading, Pa. Nice forecast for flea market extravaganza.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure thing, hope you have a good time. I'll be yardening all day.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have too, Jeff....

Today and Wednesday. It was "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE"...My YUK bed corner area...
Worked about 5 hours both days to accomplish much of it.
The soil was so dry (always is--tree roots!) there was dust flying around as i dug.

Motivation???
1--Buying a bunch of new perennials at "MD Flower and Foliage"...:o
2--Trying to change things that have been there forever--and are not doing great..

PLAN--

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Lost the biggest part of my post!!!!! I was describing my "PLAN"_
and telling you all I have done... In detail!

Is there NO way to recover a lost part of a Post???????
It may have had something to do with me capitalizing parts of it. ?????

This happens many times. I must hit a key that deletes it--but why is
part of the Post there--but not all of it?????????????????

I hate it!!!!!!! I wanted you all to know what all i have done in this grueling project.
NOT going to re-type it all.....don't even remember all i said...

Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure the exact key that it Gita but I think it has something to do with a combination of characters. It's done it to me before too.

Anyway, nice progress on the bed!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The sky spit on me a few times yesterday afternoon, but that was it for the rain. I hope the hot weather models are right!,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.