Adansonia digitata

Decatur, GA

Somewhere recently in these threads someone thought they had a Baobab tree but it wasn't correctly IDed. I finally got a picture of mine and decided to post it here for follow up on that thread.
I started it from a seed probably 10 year ago. It was getting big so I cut the top off maybe 4 years ago. Now I just prune here and there to keep it from getting too tall.
The picture isn't very good but the bottom of the trunk is about 5 inches in diameter. So far it seems to be tough as nails. It sits in the back room in very low light and mostly no water for 5-6 months in the winter. Then comes back, lush.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

That was me. Its a Pseudobombax ellipticum. Tony from Australia came up with the proper ID in the Plant ID Forum.

The biggest give away for me was the green trunk. I googled photos and everyone of them had that green cracked looking bark. Has your's bloomed? It looks like a bottle brush flower that doesn't last very long.

I'm re-posting the photos.

Daisy

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady
Decatur, GA

Daisy, I doubt my Baobab tree will ever bloom. They grow huge in the wild and live for decades in not centuries.
Here are a shot of my P. ellipticum. I pruned it heavily last year so the truck doesn't show too much but it has the characteristic cracked green look.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Your first photos look like a Baobob - you are right, it may be a long time before it blooms. ;') No, actually I think they bloom at about 20 years - you are half way there.

The last photo looks just like my Pseudobombax ellipticum, green cracky bark and all. It should bloom. Mine is over 30 years old and has only bloomed a couple times (white). I haven't figured out exactly what to do to get it to bloom.

Daisy

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

For me Pseudobombax ellipticum flowers in the spring or winter before the leaves start.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Mine has always been a greenhouse plant. It loses its leaves in about January and grows new a month later. I keep it pruned into the shape you see so it will continue to fit in the greenhouse.

That could be the problem. Does it bloom on last year's wood? I could be pruning my potential flowers off each year.

Daisy

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

I think it does, take a look at the photo flowers will come from those stems

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Decatur, GA

That flower is great turtle walker. Maybe mine will bloom sometime. I won't prune it again in case it might make a difference.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Your Pseudobombax is a seedling. You have a long wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.