Sanseveria Blooms

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm used to the blooms being on tall flower spikes. This Sans. Fischeri has blooms that are low on the plant. Is this normal? I also have another plant doing the same thing but a different species. Gene

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Weird weather causes weird blooms. It will be fine.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Not sure I am having weird weather.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

It happens periodically. I have always assumed it was something about the weather, ie: It gets warm earlier than usual and the plants bloom prematurely.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I know you are trying to help but did you notice that I live in Wisconsin? Heat, high heat, sudden heat are just not issues here. Gene

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

The other Sansv. I have that also has low blooms = Parva 'Gilt Edge." My guess is that different species have different blooming habits. Gene

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I'm not talking about heat waves, I am talking abnormal weather patterns. Something has set your plants off on the wrong course. The Peduncle (the stem that supports the Inflorescence) is triggered to grow by warmth or cold? Light or a lack of? Then the inflorescence is triggered to bloom by something also. If one gets ahead of the other, you will end up with a short Peduncle. Or a really long Peduncle (and maybe it will never develop the inflorescence). I don't know why your plants have chosen this year to be different. But if Sansevieria are the only plants effected, it has something to do with their usual requirements being different this year.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

But my other species of Sansv. ( I have 109 species) have their normal flower spikes right now. Gene

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Maybe there is a Botanist at your local college or university that can shed some light on why this is happening.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Not trying to be rude but why did you ask?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Because there are a lot of people here who know more than I do and I want to learn. Is that OK? Your comments just do not seem right to me, sorry. I will always prefer an answer from someone with first hand experience over any Google I can find. Gene

This message was edited Jul 24, 2015 12:52 AM

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I'm glad you found your answer. Obviously, I am not Sansevieria expert. My answers are still valid for plants that suddenly act weird but not for plants that are behaving normally.

Daisy

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

But I still do not know the answer to my question. Hope an expert helps me.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

The answer is that sometimes some Sansevieria are sessile - the blooms don't have stalks and emerge directly out of the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.