2015 Fall Plant Swap General Discussion Thread

Frederick, MD

Thank you very much, CatMint !

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

My pleasure, Cam! :-) Thanks for your generous and welcoming spirit! :-)

Frederick, MD

By the way, my cats STILL play with the catnip pouch from the Spring Swap. In fact, they brought it in my room and were tossing it around at 4:30 this morning. LOL

:-) I think this year I should harvest the leaves on my catnip plant and dry them for the cats to enjoy!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

if anybody wants Catnip, there are as always some extra plants out there... I'll try to harvest leaves as well as seeds this year, too!

Sally, I'd like a piece of bead/sensitive fern please -- maybe just enough to choke a goat. I have a good spot in mind for it.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

gotcha, critter, one goat size Onolclea coming up

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If it is happy, you can choke a flock next year. ;-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

CAM, what color is your Centaurea?

I have some seeds from the beautiful red hollyhock that Speedie shared with me last year. It bloomed this year--quite lovely (thanks, Speedie!). Would be happy to share.

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Frederick, MD

Ahhhh... some Hollyhock would look great in back of one of my beds, the one I'm going to put garden phlox in.

You got it, Cam! :-)

Frederick, MD

Thank you, CatMint ! :) I'll start those seeds under my grow light in the basement in late winter to give them a nice head start next Spring.

They are really beautiful (thanks to Speedie). I think they would look nice with the phlox David! :-)

Frederick, MD

Yes ! I'm going to have to name that bed The Great CatMint Botanical Garden.

AHahaha
Of course! :-D ;-)
Guess I need to start on my Great CAM Botanical Garden! Any suggestions for a starter plant? :-)

Frederick, MD

LOL... well, I have a few plants offered up on the Have/Want thread but not too much since I'm working on expanding the landscaping at my new house. Unless you would like a dead holly bush that I need to dig up on the NE corner of the foundation. ;)

LOL--I'll pass on the dead holly bush, but would be interested in some of your Centaurea if you still have some available! :-)

Frederick, MD

I sure do, Catmint... they are encroaching on my Spirea so I need to divide them. Happy to give you something back in return. :)

great! thanks, CAM! :-)

Frederick, MD

You are more than welcome, CatMint !

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Cat, my NE Aster is purple with a yellow center, are you interested?

yes, I'd love it, Holly, thanks so much!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, bring any Bead Fern you want to get rid of....whatever anyone doesn't want, I'll plant in the forest.
Seqouia, ditto with your Mistflower. That plant can take more deer browsing than most and the ones along the creek are doing well. They're even blooming! (I did spray them with my home-made baking powder and egg yolk deer repellent, though.)

I have to admit to getting frustrated with BES' tendency to take over...they multiply like rabbits!... but lately when I've looked around my garden and seen them jump out at me, I've wondered why I don't keep more of them around.

I know what you mean about BES, Muddy! Right now it's taking over 3 of my beds, but at the same time I love seeing the bright pops of yellow! So, good choice, Jeff--and here's a visual testimony to BES!

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I had to do a double take because it looked like there were bluebells behind the one BES in pic 3 then I realized it was veronica.

Glad to have a home for my mist flower. I'm going to give a bunch to a lady at work because she has a real deer problem too but there should be plenty to go around.

yes, it is Veronica 'Sunny Border Blue'! It has been a big hit with the pollinators this year, and blooming continuously since mid-June!! Glad I finally found a good spot for it...

Muddy, if you want any more of the blue mistflower, just let me know, and I'll be happy to share! :-D

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mistflower... is it this? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/625/

if so, how did I miss knowing about such a garden-worthy plant? LOL I love finding new-to-me plants. Looks like it'll take some shade, too. Bring it on! Or, more politely, if anybody has some to spare, may I please have a piece? :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's the beast Critter. I'll bring a bunch. It's definitely a no care plant best for naturalization.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"best for naturalization" = put it toward the back, 'cause it's a bit thuggish?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Even if you put it in the back it will move to the front....LOL. It will grow in part shade but it will move to where the sun is brightest. Definitely a solid plant performance wise. I also have some in mostly shade and I'm waiting to see how that does. You can expect 2-3' of lateral growth over the winter if it's happy.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ours seeds all around the property, but it is easy to pull.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, mine has seeded lightly and I didn't deadhead at all last year. The seeds aren't really a problem here yet.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would like some of that Mist Flower as well, if you have enough.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, I have just noticed that you have 2 Strep 'Ruby' on your HAVE list. Would you please reserve one for me? I think I told you that all my streps and AVs were wiped out by virus that probably was instroduced to the environment (my apartment) by 2 AVs :-(. The only healthy strep I have now is one 'Blue Ice' because I never took it to the apartment :o(

Thanks.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You got it Holly.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Donner--
I divided the big, root-bound one and got two nice pots out of it.
The smaller divisions never made it. I will gladly give you one of the 6" pots.

I found that rooting leaves in water works the easiest...I have 2 small leaves of the
white one all rooted. need to pot it up..

I have one called "Azure" that I have had. What color was that one?

I will remove the Ruby Strep offers from my HAVES list. Keep one for me--and one for you.
Are you home? I thought you were going away for 2 weeks????

Gita

I'll bring some of the mistflower too!
:-)

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, I am still here, working. I will travel next month.

I do not have a picture of the other strep. If you google "Streptocarpus Roulette azur", you will see what the flowers should look like.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AHHH--I remember now! The white with the bright blue edging...

http://dibleys.com/dibleys-shop/Roulette-Azur--95--142.html

The all white one has been a good bloomer---off and on--all year.
I have 2 leaves rooted of the white one. Sometimes I try to pull off
a finished bloom by the dry stem--and always...a whole leaf breaks off with it
Have to be mote careful.....Would you like to have the small white one as well?

Now--re the 2 Butterfly Weed "bushes" you (or someone) dug up and gave me--
I potted each one in a fairly large pot. The stems it had are, slowly,drying up and
and if I pull on them gently--the whole stem comes off.
Am I right to assume that any new growth will be coming up from the root's crown?
Later??? next year??? WHEN? Of course--the "roots" these had were
more like Peony roots--bare and succulent. Ends cut off from the digging-up...

If I need to pot them in a real bed--it will have to wait until fall, as right now.
there are NO open spots. Earlier on, I planted several Daturas (just bc I grew them)
in any openings there were. Now, they are about to bloom.
Took 4 more of them to work and gave them all away. Late, I know, but maybe they will
have some blooms fir the people to see....

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

oh no donner! I'll have to try harder to keep my two streps going, and maybe be able to " share-back" in the future

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.