2015 Fall Plant Swap General Discussion Thread

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--
Don't feel bad--even the ones I bought at a store--did not make it.
Another testament to how difficult it is to grow anything in my YUK bed.
That is where I really wanted them to be-- G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh man you really fed them to the wolves in that YUK bed. I don't feel so bad now. Lol

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lisa, that's great, we'll see!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lisa, I'm glad you're bringing some Ajuga! I can always use groundcovers... definitely prefer them to mulch. I'd rather thin (or even weed! LOL) groundcovers as needed than re-mulch a bed. ;-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Muddy, I just discovered I can let somebody else have "my" Filependula rubra seedling... There are a zillion little seedlings in a corner of Martina's back door bed that have to be Filependula (right by a mother plant). I'll dig some of hers, instead! And we can bring extras to the swap if there's interest. I love the tall stems with those big clusters of delicate blooms! The butterflies love them, too.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Lisa, may I request some of your Ajuga if it is the 'burgundy glow' type? Thank you.

I added Foxglove to my HAVE list. No takers?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

donner, I'll take foxglove. They don't seem to self sow but they did bloom well when Gita gave me some.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I've almost given up on foxglove. I have tried several times with plants from Gita and David&Pat, and never have any luck. Donner, if you end up with some that others who might have better success than me don't want, I'd love to try again with a few plants.

Washington, DC

Hey Donnerville. Sorry but my ajuga is not burgundy glow.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri--maybe you should try WS them? OR--scatter the seed where you want them to grow.

Foxgloves drop seed after the bloom are done, and have turned into little, beige seed pods
up and down the bloomed out stalk. --these seeds usually come up in fall -grow in
little bunches and survive the winter to continue growing into quite bushy clumps of leaves..
Then send up the bloom stalk which blooms rather quickly.

Sometimes the seeds drop later iv the fall. These may just come up in the spring--
scattered all over the beds.

This is a good time to dig out these baby plants and move them wherever you want.

I don't think they like to be dug up and potted up once they get bigger, even though I have
done it to share at Swaps, but done it way in advance so they can root more and settle in.

I no longer want them--as the only color I have left is white. BLAHHHH....

Took these pictures just today:

1--Two big Foxglove clumps that have been growing all summer.
I don't think these will send up a bloom any more. Too late. maybe next spring?
These may be from last fall.

2--Another lg. clump in a different bed. I know these had to be from seeds last fall
????

3--These, I believe would be from seeds dropped this summer.

4--These are this year's crop--for sure.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally and Aspen, got you down for foxgloves. Gita, your foxglove babies look very healthy.

Lisa, thank you the reply. I am only looking for that one particular variety.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2015 3:34 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK....................The struggling Pulmonaria is a gonner---I cannot even find the pot!

Pat and Cam--you duke it out as to who gets the remaining one.
Pat you DID ask first--by about 2 minutes. HHMMMMM,,,,,,,,,
Didn't I give David a couple of these Pulmonarias a few years ago? hint...hint....

WHY, OH WHY are these so HARD TO FIND?????

The one I have had, I had already many, many years ago. It has "lived" in at least
4 different places in my garden--and has been divided and shared at least 3 times.
It's roots grow long--but spread pretty shallow.

Please LMK please who finally gets it. Gita

Frederick, MD

Pat can have it, Gita... no problem !! :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Cam! That was most noble of you!.....Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter, here's a photo I took in June of Filipindula rubra seedlings in case you want to double-check the ID of the zillion seedlings: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/390162/

Frederick, MD

No problem at all, Gita. I already have about 80 plants to put in the ground in the next few weeks. Actually, probably more counting the 30 bulbs of Silver Shamrock and the 16 Johnson's Blue Geraniums that are going behind them.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Geez Cam, you'll be working hard! I hope everything comes up in the spring, nice and gorgeous.

Frederick, MD

Yes, Jeff... I'm biting off a lot this fall. Creating two new beds, both good sized, and expanding another one. Also adding to some existing beds. I put the retaining wall project off to the Spring so I can handle this, no sweat. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...sounds like a fun time :-)

Frederick, MD

Yeah, and that's not counting the 16 plants I put in the ground in the last two weeks.

By the way, my Magnolia "Jane" is making a nice comeback so I won't need to take you up on your offer to bring one to the swap, but thanks again for the offer !

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Excellent, I'm glad to hear it!

Frederick, MD

Thanks... all the leaves had dropped within a few days. I cut it back a bit and now it's covered in new foliage. I used the Thrive that Greenthumb David recommended and it looks quite healthy now.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, great testimony for that stuff. I really should get some of that.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff---

HD carries it--look where the houseplant fertilizers are--and the small bags
of potting mix and soils.
I have had a bottle of it and almost never use it. Need to change that!
What do you use it for--and on what? g.

http://hydrobuilder.com/extra-life-4-oz.html?dzid=csegps_VI30148&gclid=CJSquJrS58cCFYcWHwodnpEPDQ

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--
How far will the Swap plant pick-up area be if we park on the street?

Do you, by any chance, have a garden cart--or a wheelbarrow to transport
the plants with?

See you soon! Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I think I'd use it on stuff that looks like it's struggling. I don't know, probably just be nice to experiment with it.

Frederick, MD

Gita, I'll make sure the drop off area is very close and yes, I have a old but trusty wheel barrel that anyone can use if they wish.

Yeah, Jeff, you can use thrive at any time, not just immediately after planting.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Re the pots of Evening Primroses----

I have about 12-3" pots of these potted. Each pot has about 8 plants in it.
I will bring the whole tray of 12-

I will put 2 by each person that asked for them---and anyone that wants more--can take more.
The tray will be around-
You CAN, actually, plant one of the plants and it will grow. Or 2....or 3...

Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Cool, thanks CAM.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been collecting Scutellaria incana seeds and will bring some to the swap in case anyone's interested.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll take some Muddy.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

CAM can we have a Part Two thread to catch all those last minute details and swap goodies?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Real quick--before you move this Post on---Please do--coleup is panicking....

Since I have NOT requested anything--you do not have to make me
a Pick Up station for my "Wants"---cause there ain't any!!!!

Thanks--Gita

Frederick, MD

Here you go...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1405162/

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Gitgal

I think I'm half way in or out on this one. American Plant had pulmonarias by the dozen. If you like I can pick a couple up for you and drop the with Gardener and she can drop them off at the swap for you. Does that work for you?

Yehudith

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yehudith, I posted a response for you on the new thread...fyi.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh good gosh. I am having trouble posting stuff on the right threads. Edited to move what I HAD here over to the PART TWO thread...

This message was edited Sep 15, 2015 3:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.