Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 5

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Getting a bit long over there http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1397149/#post_10105719
We'll continue over here.

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I found that pic on the web and went to the site. It's actually a very interesting story about that giraffe. Here's the link:

http://www.sliptalk.com/monduli-the-giraffe/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Got my morning laugh with this pic,
Sequoia, Thanks for the story link.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks from me too!

Ric, I'm always amazed at the great giraffe pics you find.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

what a picture, what a story. What a gorgeous day! I called out sick..(they heard my coughing fits yesterday so they don't doubt me...too much. They need me more tomorrow than today, so I'm resting up. (Z pack, mucinex, fluids...)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hope you are better soon

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...I thought you were saying you were playing hooky to work in the yard. I hope you get better before the weekend! Darcy has been sick the last couple days too but I think she's starting to come out of it.

yah, thanks, diving into the big Forsythis with pruners on Tuesday evening was probably NOT a good idea in terms of the cough!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I pictured you literally diving into the shrub with pruners, a funny picture indeed. You've got to take it easy nowadays...you're not 40 anymore...even though you still look it ;-)

Seq...Flattery will get you ... Anemone virginana carefully hand reared in a pot...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah sweet!!

(he knew it would pay of sometime as he tents his fingers)

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

SUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!! < =P

Sally, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon, those summer cold things are the pits! =(

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, being sick, especially on a day like today, really sucks. Hope you start feeling better soon!

I got an unexpected 4 hours off today and was home by 1:30. I had visions of yardening in this great weather, but I spent the afternoon hours reading a book on the porch instead. Did that all weekend too. Don't know what has gotten in to me. I sure am enjoying that porch though. I recently had the floor replaced after 20 years of hating what was there, and it sounds ridiculous, but that floor changes the whole atmosphere of the porch for me - gives me a warm, happy feeling being out there - LOL just from a new floor???

Terri, we can hardly imagine your house any nicer, but it must be very nice; you have such a good eye!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Terri, what did you do to the porch floor?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It was originally pine tongue and groove flooring that we sanded and stained 3 times. It never held up and was always dirty and dingy looking. Got a lot of mold too. Replaced it with that wood grained grey trex - wider boards, clean crisp look. Makes the white of the resin wicker chaise and chairs and the ceiling fans stand out too. Verra pleasant... I'm reading the Outlander book series and words like verra and ken are running through my brain...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds very nice. I can see what a difference that would make. I like the grey Trex.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri--Do you have any scrap pieces of that TREX decking left over?
Like 2' or 3' or such. I need some to do a nre surface in my ledge
by the basement door. Tho eold one is totally rotting out.

This is the "ledge" I take most of my pictures of plants on.
Such as this one---see how rotten the wood id on this ledge?

I want enough TREX pieces to make a new surface. I have 2-5' sections
and asst. shorter pieces from my neighbor's deck building. Almost enough---
but not really....

Thanks--maybe you can bring it along ....sometime......"wink"...

THanks--Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes G, I have some scrap pieces left over. More like 2', probably not 3'. I'll rummage through the pile this weekend and see what I can scrounge up.

Oh Terri how exciting, YAY you!!!!! =) Do we get to see a pic of this beautiful new floor? Pretty please!? =) ♥

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Terri! Much appreciated...G.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspenhill, I've heard really good things about Trex products. I bet that gray looks really nice with those lovely white accents.

Hope you're feeling better today, Sally!

I let my subscription lapse so I'd been hanging out over at ATP where Jill and I found a former collector selling a box of noid daylilies. I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom next year. I need to get rid of a couple of my daylilies that are just too pale.

thanks, feeling MUCH better than yesterday!

my mistake, posted on the previous thread, about Baltimore Sun Garden contest....

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

and SSG was nice enough to post the link to the article in the Sun

"Here's the Sun article on the garden contest.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/home-garden/

They put a limit on the number of stories you can read online, but you can bypass that by browsing in privacy/incognito mode."

I agree Sally and Holly that some of our MAF gardens could definitely be contenders and it sooooo helps to have a photog or writer who knows their way around a garden! I also think that blooming ditch lilies are now a sign of summer etched into American hearts as solidly as they adorn our roadsides! And they are edible!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, that sounds like such a fun time. Who's that goofy person in the middle of that picture?

;-P

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Sounds like it really was a very fun day.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

You had much more fun at work today than I did LOL. Great photo too.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

That sounds like a wonderful day, Sally! Definitely much more fun than my day, for sure! I can't believe the other branches turned down this opportunity.

Here in Silver Spring we have a fancy, multi-story library that has just opened up. It's a beautiful building with lots of meetings rooms, computers, and quiet study rooms, but surprisingly not that many books!

They have a great selection of audio books, though. I'm seriously considering getting the audio version of The Martian.

Sally, it sure looks like you had a LOT of fun!!!! Love that pic (heeheee Jeff, that's Snow White in the center in the photo!!) < =P

Expecting wonderful weather today, just low-mid 80's and low humidity - Wheee!! I don't think I'll have as much fun as Sally has at work, but it should be pretty darned nice; I've got some moving around of things to do as I expect a plant delivery next Tuesday. I do enjoy re-vamping the tables! =)

Thanks, guys!
Haha, they were the perfect excuse to let out some goofiness. Well, so are preschoolers, but professional actors boosted my confidence.

I'd love to see that beautiful library. Print books aren't going away altogether but internet access is certainly much needed.

speedie, isn't this wonderful weather for late July? That place doesn't pay you enough for as hard as you work, by the way...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...Snow White!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What did I miss? Scrolling back up the thread I only find Sally being sick and pruning a shrub; no mention of actors or Snow White. Is there a post on this thread that my browser is blocking?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

No, it's on the last 'Your Neck of the Woods' thread towards the bottom.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oops! Thanks Sequoia. Been away a couple of days and sometime feel lost when I get back to the threads.

Muddy's birds ate your breadcrumbs...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David--I was lost too--what are they talking about????
Sally...where????

Off to check out the "neck of the woods" thread.....G.

Oh my, I guess it was my fault, I posted on the old thread,sorry!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Kind of goes with the theme: The Past

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.