NOID aquisitions

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I would love for someone to point me in the right direction. I believe the second one is a Tephrocactus.
Thanks in advance.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

1st: an Astrophytum
2nd: indeed a Tephrocactus, articulatus if I am not mistaken.

Americus, GA

1st looks to be a astrophytum myriostigma quadricostatum (4 ribbes as opposed the the usual 5) Nudum. Cool plant! is it in a 4 inch pot?

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for your quick responses. After looking at cacti guide I see that varieties of Tephrocactus articulatus may be problematic to distinguish. I'm happy to have the species though.

The astrophytum is in a 5 inch pot. I have another, presumably Astrophytum. Would this be nudum? Also a 5 inch pot.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer
Americus, GA

No the pictured one above is a normal astrophytum myriostigma, the nudum part comes from the lack of white flecks along the surface of the skin. I personally like the nudum more than I like the white flecked ones. but both are very cool in their own respects. Very nice astros! I wish I could get some that big but buying them on ebay is expensive. and all my seedlings and others are smaller than 2 inches across. Have either ever flowered for you?

Americus, GA

Also one question what is the "NOID" in the title mean? is that where you bought them?

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I thought it meant "No IDea"

Americus, GA

Oh like plants that had no ID got it.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

That nudum point makes sense. Thanks for bearing with me. I agree that prices on the net are pretty high. I got the speckled one at about an inch from Lowes about 15 years ago for $1.50 and the latest one in a trade so can't complain!

Daisy, I like your definition of NOID--and with the lumpers hard at work I find I have no IDea more and more frequently!

Thanks all,
Bill

Americus, GA

Well I would say that you got a pretty good deal on all accounts!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.