Do you believe consuming local honey is healthiest?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 54 votes:

Yes, I have my own hives and health improvements are significant
(1 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Yes, I buy honey only at feed or health store
(18 votes, 33%)
Red dot

No, it's a wives' tale, no hard scientific data
(7 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Term
(3 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I don't know
(17 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(8 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What is the fourth option? All it says is 'term'.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I presumed that the #2 choice also included farmer's markets (where I buy most of my local honey).

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't know, and really can't say as I care, as I don't much care for honey. It is wa-a-a-ay too sweet for me. Although I did order some buckwheat honey online, because it is supposed to be so good for you. It's a little less sweet (to my taste) than others, but I still have a tendency to forget to use it. So I doubt it's doing for me whatever I thought it was going to do.
:>)
By the way, I'd also like to know what the fourth choice is. Does 'term' have some specific meaning in this context?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i went with choice #2, but it doesnt come from either of those sources, but actually from a local hive keeper directly.

Also the stuff in those bear shaped bottles in your big mega stores, you have to really watch out for them being over processed (heat treating, heavy filtering out of pollen, etc), which would essentially rob the honey of what you were going to consume it for in the first place. Basically reducing it to no more than corn syrup, or some other type of thickened sweetener.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I chose the fourth answer; Termite Honey is the bees knees!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I chose other, because I get my honey from a close friend who has hives. I wish there had been a more general option for purchasing local honey!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

never heard of termite honey before, will have to google that, lol

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't use a lot of honey, but I've never had a problem with the honey I buy from the grocery store. I do prefer (and only buy) Orange Blossom honey over Clover or any other type that I've tried. It's for taste, not health reasons.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Beware of honey from China. They use sugar to sweeten and may add colorant. I like honey from my friendly feed store, not that I use much of it.

A friend turned me onto agave honey and wow at first I was like a child with it. Pricey but oh such good, sweet nutty flavor.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I think you mean Agave syrup or Agave nectar.

You are so right

Thumbnail by vossner
Dahlonega, GA

Gotta have honey on fried chicken . I buy from a local friend , but will get it anywhere I can . Who cares if it's healthy or not , I just like it .

Casa Grande, AZ

I chose other.
Don't particularly like honey as I find it overwhelmingly sweet and not to annoyingly sticky. Also find something really creepy about a food that NEVER spoils and can be eaten a century from now (just nuke and serve) considering it has no man made chemicals or preservatives in it. Do believe in the health benefits though.
Often thought bee keeping would be great simply because bees are so necessary and in such a decline. :{
Plus the outfits are really cool! Knowing me though, I'd do myself a mischief!
There's a place I have to pass on a semi rural road where there are several hives and I saw a guy out there once tending his hives. So neat! Was tempted to stop and chat with him but he had on the get up and I had on perfume.

I've never heard of termite honey either. Sounds weird so I guess i'll have to look that up.

I have always heard that eating local honey helps somewhat with desensitizing one to allergies. I grew up in the area I still live in and never had allergies as a child. I don't have severe allergies now but spring pollens and some fall oak pollens do bother me. I do think it has helped to consume a tsp of the local honey every day, and I'd rather do that than take a darn pill every day.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I may not use honey that often but my all time favorites are: Tupelo honey and Sourwood honey. Gene

Totally agree with you, Gene. Especially on the Sourwood honey.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I voted "other" because I buy local honey from local grocers or farmer's markets. I notice a difference in my allergies if I run out for a couple days or more!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Nickipedia defines Termite Honey as a bizarre and totally bogus construct (i.e. pun) in my mind.

–Nick

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted other. I buy my honey from a local bee keeper. He makes sure that the honey I get is collected from an area with lots of sweet clover. It helps keep my sweet clover allergy in check.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I voted term just because it was weird.

Ha ha

Dahlonega, GA

Giggle .

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I chose 1 because it was lonely. I do have my own hives as well ;)

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I buy Agave sirup / honey at costco [ good for sore throats / cough's ] regular honey at farmer's market .
My wife likes the honey comb

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Try to buy honey that is 'spun' rather than cooked. It is fascinating to watch it being removed from the comb. One teaspoon a day aids a friend who has acid reflux. Nothing like it on buttered biscuits when served with Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Red Clover hunny here from a local bee keeper .. expensive, but, it sure does snuff out a sore throat and helps with cold symptoms ..

:-)

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

My wife uses it with tomato paste and eggs in meatloaf . Really helps when you have meatloaf sandwiches .
Alittle in mashed potatoes helps them from water pn top next day .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.