FIRST FLOWERS OF SUMMER 2015

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pat--

When I still was 'messing around" with my NBC's--many times, they would send up
this long shoot--to the ceiling. I never knew what the purpose of it was?
In the beginning--I would just cut it off--cut it in pieces and stick them in a
pot to root. It took a longer time--but they did root and grow leaves.

Have you ever found out what this shoot is all about? g.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Taking a wild guess- this shoot is just something the plant does to explore and see if there are better conditions elsewhere. Like other plants do with rhizomes. Pseudorhipsalis ramulosa that O posted in Plant Addicts , and similar plants, do this too

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I remember someone suggesting that itmay be searching for something to anchor to.

But--these shoots were smooth--no roots at all--maybe just at the very tip--as Epis
tend to grow when inside for the winter. They get these dry ratty roots
at the ends of the stems. Does not seem to affect the plant any.

Geez! I cannot believe this was just in 2009! seems longer ago....

1--This was my big NBC that grew and grew and never bloomed.
This is the one I gave to Bec at her Swap.The smaller one, to the right, may be
the one I gave to either David--or Doc. I think it may have gone to Doc...

2--Here is the tall shoot it grew while outside on my patio--all the way up to my windows

I think they just "do that'.....Gita

2--

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have no idea what it is up to, Gita. It seems to have those hairs along more of the shoot than yours did. Great photos.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've never done the Lily Auction, critter but I've lurked a couple of times. What I wish I knew about before he closed was at Darrell Apps - you could dig up a bed of daylilies that he wasn't going to release. Unfortunately, the first and last time I went there, he had sold the place. That could have been fun.

Epi's are new to me but what a special flower! It reminds me of magnolias. I had to search about the long stem because I'm a nerd and one poster on GW said they want to be tall and eventually the stem grows leaves along it. If I understood her right, she also said although they will flower while small, they want to be bigger to flower? Anyway, that is one person's feedback.

Beautiful hibiscus, Catbird!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you want DLs and don't care if they don't have names (or, rather, are lost-tag named varieties), an online friend is planning to downsize her garden, digging up several beds of DLs and selling them for $1/fan... http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/37417/Dollar-Daylilies/

I'm interested, thinking of asking for double fans and also thinking in terms of potting them up in trade gallons until they bloom... then maybe I can "unload" any that turn out to be peach or orange LOL.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Jill, the pink and white hibiscus is Luna Pink Swirl. Got it from Santa Rosa Gardens, they are on sale now for $4.99 each.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Took a few photos today:

1 - Lilium 'Muscadet'

2 - Spider Flower

3 - Oakleaf Hydrangea

4 - Teucrium canadense - American Germander

5 - Ricinus communis - Castor Bean, flowers just keep getting m0re interesting.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks good GT. What kind of sun does your lily get?

Some photos from today:

Nepeta 'Blue Dragon
Helenium 'Mardi Gras'
Chamaecrista fasciculata (Partridge Pea)
Echinacea purpurea
Raspberry Wine Monarda

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Late morning to mid-afternoon sun. We have lilies bloom that get no direct sun.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Dahlia Ginger Snap
Bloomerang lilac blooming its head off
Deciduous Azalea 'Golden Showers'
Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Blackfield'
Lysimachia ciliata 'Firecracker' - both fell down in storms but they don't seem to be phased.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Do you use anything to support them? I have a couple lilies that get late afternoon and early morning sun and they lean really bad. Next year I'll have to get those single plant stakes for them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm loving all the extra clumps of 'Raspberry Wine' Monarda out there... definitely a favorite! Some are still in pots, waiting for me to put in irrigation along the back of Groundhog Grove... meanwhile, they're under the hacked-back willow, where I can reach them with the hose at need. Lately, God has been keeping up with the watering for me; makes the gardening feel very easy-going.

I have some tomato cages in a few places where I planted 3 lily bulbs, but that's not working as well as I'd hoped. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and start staking them individually. Thanks to Gita's scoring those poles from Aldi's, I have enough stakes to go around now! I've been assembling more glass plate flowers lately, so maybe I'll add them to the top of the stakes... it'll look pretty and also keep me from running into them with my face.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jeff, our lilies generally stand straight, whatever their exposure.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting GT. Maybe it's because yours get midday sun. I don't know, mine are shaded to the south though so maybe that's why those ones are leaning.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb and Sequoia, you both have some really interesting plants there, especially the Castor Bean and Partridge Pea.

I had Partridge Pea in my yard once, and I think I let it go to seed, but I didn't get any plants the following year.

Frederick, MD

Some of the Coreopsis I just planted a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by CAMfromMD
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, that Partridge Pea is quite cool. Never saw one before. We're enjoying our Castor Bean.

Those lilies are on the south side of the house, but again, we don't get a ton of sun with all the tall trees.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

CAM, those coreopsis are pretty and how great that they are really taking off so soon after planting!

Frederick, MD

Thank you, Terri. Yes, I can't wait to see that bed after all the Coreopsis and the Euphorbia Bonfire all fill out.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--
I have to look for those Coreopsis at HD. However--if they are not there by now--
I don't think they will be bringing new plants in by now.

Now is a good time to look for clearances...we have about 3 racks-full
of lg. HB's, bowl planters, and all kinds of mixed pots--most going for $6.
Hmmm--I should go check out Lowes....they clearance a lot...

Jill---just FYI----all those stakes came from Big Lots--not Aldis...
BL should be clearancing garden stuff by now. That is how
I got all those packs of stakes for $2,50---they usually cost $4,50.

1--Here is my deal from yesterday--$6. Pretty petunias...

2--KK Hibiscus soon to bloom

3--My other spectacular Orienpet Lily starting to bloom. Great fragrance!
Name gone on faded marker. Any ideas?
I planted this one same time I planted the Crocosmias.
Did someone give me thid Lily bulb? It did not even come up last year....

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I keep loosing this thread. Now that I have found it again I really enjoyed all the lovely flowers. So I did a little walk around this morning so many flowers blooming. Here are a few.
Leptodermis, Passi, clematis Ramona, Rose America, Trumpet Vine (paying for it's keep)

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mostly DL's with a Tiny Sedum and a half open Tropical Hib.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD

Gita, I was at Lowes's this morning and they still have plenty of perennials and annuals out but I didn't see any Coreopsis. Not sure about HD. I bought all mine from Bluestone, on-line. Pretty sure they still have them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We have loads of the yellow Coreopsis. They are in 2gal pots and
are all clearanced for $6 (I think). I bought one--It is still sitting in its pot.
I may split it in half.Haven't decided where to plant it.
There are a few open spots against the house in the back of my sunny bed.

I want to tell you that we have the cutest, most beautiful, dwarf, Phlox on sale.
It grows only 12" tall and has clusters of pale lavender/white blooms.
It is slightly reduced--from $14.98 to $11, 98. May be just for the Holiday sale....
I am sooooo tempted.....g.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Go for it... phlox generally multiplies, and that would be so sweet tucked here and there in your flower beds. (You didn't think I was going to suggest restraint, after all, LOL)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Not sure---$12 is a bit much for an impulse buy.
Will keep an eye on it, though.

Jill--you won't believe it---but Felicia's Phlox is now close to 5' tall.!!!
I have it in a low tomato cage just to keep it all upright.
There are buds showing--can't wait to see it bloom.

Only one of mine is already in full bloom. The purple one in my "Kitchen-side-bed".
There should be at least 4 more blooming--whenever they are ready.

I am anxious to see if the White PHlox "David" took root well enough to grow and bloom.
It was only ONE stem--and it was in front of my regular Phlox. Bad location....
So--i dug it up and moved it over a little bit.
I can't tell--everything in this S. bed is lost in a jungle of Iris leaves and a peony leaves--
bloomed our DL's--and other Phlox foliage all around. I can't even set a foot in there to weed!

I miss NOT having a Persian Shield--never got around to buying one.

1--from last year--this is the Phlox in my kitchen-side bed....now in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

my Felicia's phlox is also huge and awesome looking and not quite in bud yet. My white phlox is blooming, then there's a pink one that seems to be sick- individual stems were yellowing.. maybe I should rip out and destroy all the sick parts. If it's viral...it is smack up against the white one.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I got a start of Felicia's phlox and Robert Poore at the same DG swap, and planted them about 3 feet apart. They've really grown over the last several years, and now are intermingled. I can't tell which one is which.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Felicia's Phlox gets 3-4 feet tall in my MIL's yard, where it is in part to full shade (but still blooms). It gets 5 feet tall in my north-facing front foundation bed, and when I moved a piece to a full sun location by the deck landing last year, it got -- no kidding -- 8 feet tall!! This year it's having a little trouble with all the rain, looks like it might only make 6 feet. Fair warning! LOL

Dutch Plant Farm is doing 30% off perennials and trees for the 4th, half off roses (other than knockouts). Gardener's Supply is doing a free shipping offer today (oops, fine print says on orders over $75, so not on little impulse buys).

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Whoa Critter I want to see that 8ft phlox (even if it is only 6ft this year) I can't even imagine that.
None of my phlox have bloomed yet but they should soon.
Just love Blue Mouse Ears, it is the prettiest little hosta. Not near as fond of the white trumpet lilies but Ric is.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---
I have 2 pots of that Hosta going. They are both in bloom.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Just catching up...

The Partridge Pea is pretty sweet. I wintersowed them this year and they turned out great. It's an interesting plant even if it's not flowering. The leaves are really pretty and it's the only plant we have that actually 'goes to sleep' at night or in the rain. The leaves fold up on themselves and the plant ends up just looking like a few sticks. I'll try to take a pic to show you all what I'm talking about.

Nice flowers Holly. That Passi is very beautiful.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful flowers, Holly! I love the shot of the hibiscus opening. I also love Blue Mouse Ears which is blooming. I wish it would spread a little faster so I could have a swath of it. But I do love Ric's white lilies too.

Sequoia - Gingersnap is adorable!

1. gladiolus acidanthera just starting.
2. Echie Cantaloupe Supreme from Mamajacks coop this year. I hope it overwinters for me.
3. Echie seedling shaped like a pinwheel.
4. self sown dill
5. Self sown nicotiana

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cam, what coreopsis is that? It has a nice face.

Some leaves:
1. Frosted Geranium
2. Variegated fern - overwinters inside.
3. sambucus nigra pulverulenta
4. Rosa glauca
5. Fuzzy kiwi

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Frederick, MD

Loretta, there are two Coreopsis in that bed and photo. The cream colored ones with the maroon center is called Sweet Dreams. The yellow with dark red center is called Domino.

Thank you.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Again---I invite any of you to check out this "Clump Thread" on the Daylily Forum.

Awesome posts and pictures with all kinds of DL's and their names.
I know many of you want to know the names....well--here they are!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1396949/#new

G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Busy in just part of the yard today, but took a few convenient pics.

1 - Lilium 'Stargazer' - Our first 'Stargazer' of the season, Oddly enough, this one is a volunteer, growing a least six feet from established plants.

2 - Lilium 'Muscadet' - For some reason our well established Lilies are blooming profusely this year. This stalk is nearly seven feet tall!

3 - Ruellia humillis - Wild Petunia Our in-ground plants are blooming too elsewhere.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice blooms Loretta. I wonder if that pale lavender echi is E. pallida?

Here are some pics from today.

This is for you Sally---my ROS Blue Satin
Heather Marie
Phyostegia - White obedient plant
Coreopsis rosea 'Sweet dreams'
NOID pink phlox

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I love that wild petunia, can't wait for mine to bloom but no sign of budding yet.

Lilium leichlinii
Clara curtis daisy

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.