FIRST FLOWERS OF SUMMER 2015

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice pics everyone! Love you DLs Critter. SSG, that volunteer in your pic 4 is a Begonia grandis.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1397842/#new

Dalea purpurea
Echinacea pallida
Agastache 'Black Adder'
Gita's BES - btw, I love these Gita. They are so much better than the ones I used to have. I like that they spread nicely. This clump is from only two of those pots you gave me last fall
NOID daylily

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Shastas going nuts - it's the 'Becky' variety
Asiatic Lily 'Eremo'
NOID purple monarda
Crazy Daisy
NOID pink monarda

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff---
I can promise you that both the Shasta daisies and the BES will spread
equally far. At least the Shastas only spread from roots. The BES spread by both--
roots AND seeds that go everywhere...You can dig up the new plants
and move them anywhere you want. They come through all this just fine.

My little front-of-the-house bed is inundated with BES--which have buried my pretty
pink, double Azalea. Glad they don't bloom at the same time. That helps.
They are all in bud--so there will be a nice display. They ARE tough!

The BES have also invaded my clump of Heliopsis in the corner of my YUK bed.
Last fall--I pulled out as many as I could--but they are still there...

Do you know that the Rurbeckia Goldstrum is the State Flower of MD?

G.

Pic. 1 is from Shastas I gave my back-yard neighbor several years ago.
he never does anything with gardening...so they just spread and spread,

#2 is BES in my small front bed in 2011. I hate ti think what they will look like
now!

#3--Shastas from above.nice.....

Both are beautiful--BUT........g.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Heliopsis 'Summer Nights'
Hootenanny Dahlia
Azalea 'Weston's Parade'
Zagreb Coreopsis
Rhododendron Maximum

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are nice Shastas G but mine can't get that big. I have to chop out chunks in the spring and sometimes in the fall as well to keep it the right size.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Love that huge clump of shastas! Nice to have them in the background, in your neighbor's yard. :-)

Love that pink dahlia, Sequoia!

Forgot to add a photo of a pink monarda from my garden... 'Marshall's Delight' -- wonder if that might be Sequoia's pink noid. it's not one of the really tall ones, although I wouldn't call it dwarf... compact, maybe.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh Jeff what beautiful pics!! Of course the BES's are my favourite - they are MY flowers!! (except, I don't have a black eye, heehee). Of course, that's why I got the Black Eyed Susan Day Lily. ;)

Speaking of Day Lilies... I will be bringing home another one today (this should be posted in the Plant Addicts thread.. I swear I need help!)... Mini Pearl. I'll get pics when I get her installed.
< =D

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Impressive Shasta, Jeff! Very nice. I like the color of the last Monarda. I grew Monarda years ago when I was still living in Virginia, but got terrible powdery mildew. Do you have this problem?

My garden has gone totally wild this year. It is a mess, although many things are blooming ;-). Here are a few photos taken last week.

1. Annuals, perennials, and wild flowers co-existing very happily :o)
2. Amaryllis 'Blossom Peacock' is blooming again.
3. Brugmansia 'Xena' started to bloom last week.
4. Brugmansia 'Maya' cuttings from Gita last fall. The pic was taken on 4/18 this year.
5. The 'Maya' "cuttings" 2 months later. The pic was taken last week :o). I left a coke can there for size reference, but didn't quite capture the effect. The plants are in 10" pots. They need to be moved to much larger pots now.

Edit to note that the picture upload sequence of the 4th and 5th photos was reversed.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2015 6:39 AM

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Haha, Speedie! Love that "no black eye" Susan joke :o).

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

very pretty donner!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Awesome Donner, I like that first pic, the 'mess' looks good!

My monardas frequently get powdery mildew. It's part of the game though in growing them so I just accept it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner---

WOWSA!!!! My--YOUR--Myas really grew!
Wait....are the 2 big ones from my measly cuttings? Can't be!
Are the 2 small one the ines I gave you at the swap?

I love the purples in your first picture...

--Here are my 2 brugs. "Maya" and "The Doctor Seuss'
They are now in their 3rd year. Really getting big!

The Brazilian Plumes Not blooming yet....

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, yes the 2 small brugs were cuttings from you, and the 2 big ones were the same plants 2 months later :o).

About the purples in the first pic, I cannot take credit for the color combo. Both the Alpine Catchfly and the red Amarith selfseed. They just found their way to that place :-). Oh by the way, I forgot to mention weeds living cheerfully in the mix, hehe.

The pink Canna you gave me has started to bloom. It is in a very big pot.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2015 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Jeff. Guss I wasn't the only one with powdery mildew on Manardas :-). I love their cute flower heads! That said, they are probably not something one should grow right by the front entrance as I did in my VA garden ;-). They really do not look very attractive once blooming is over.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner--I am in AWE!!!!What on Earth do you do to your Brugs to grow as big as
yours do in such a short time?????????????? Hope you get lots of blooms too.

If mine grew like yours--i would have to find someone to take them every year.

WHAT DO YOU YOU FEED THEM? They were such small. crippled nothings when
I gave them to you. It is just AMAZING!!!! that is all I can say.
Other than adding Osmacote to the soil, I do not feed mine anything special.

Seriously. What will you do with these in the fall?

How is your job going in the new location? Any problems?
g.

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David--

last year, at a Swap, I think, you gave me two "Great Blue Lobelias"
I have 2 clumps of something growing in my A/C bed where I usually
plant things like this.

Does this look like IT? If not--what do you think it is?

Thanks. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sure looks like it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

1 - NoID Lily

2 - Desmodium canadense - Tick Trefoil, beat up by the rain.

3 - Anemone virginiana - Thimbleweed

4 - Campanula americanum - Tall Bellflower

5 - Monarda 'Raspberry Wine'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

1 - Daylily 'Ice Carnival'

2 - Actaea/Cimicifuga racemosa - Black Cohosh

3 - Stachys densiflora 'Hummelo' - Betony

4 - Dracocephalum rupestre - Dragon's Head

5 - Crocosmia 'Lucifer' just beginning to open

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, the plants in your picture are probably weeds. I also got quite a few this year. At first I thought they were something I got from the swap last year (I am not good at labeling things). Then I saw them in multiple locations. So I started to pull them out. Let's see what David says about them.

I gave some slow release fertilize to the brugs when I first potted them up. I also give them water soluble Miracle-Gro each weekend (or most weekends) when I am home.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Cross post with David :-).

Hmmm..., I will be curious to see if Gita's plants bloom. Did I weed plants again? :o(

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Donner---You are, probably thinking this is a weed--because there IS a weed that
looks just like it. I pull them out of Olga,s bed all the tine. They are everywhere!!!

And--yes--they look similar.

BUT--I have 2 distinct clumps of the one I posted for David.
They are NOT exactly the same.

Here is the weed! G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

this picture here might be 'burnweed'

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, it's hard to keep up with this thread!

Sequoiadendron4, verbascum is mostly perennial but when it goes big like that white one in the last thread, it often doesn't return. Maybe I'll call them a short lived perennial. And I bought Hootenanny this year and am so looking forward to seeing that same bloom you have!

1. African violet Rebel two cents finally bloomed. I think I got it two Phylly flower shows ago.

2. Had to buy Loretto

3. The calla lillies are in bloom!

4 New leaves on Rhodie Golfer

5. Sedum sieboldii 'Mediovariegatum' likes to revert

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

very nice, especially Loretto!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Pretty AV, Loretta.

Gita, that's the weed I pulled out. Thank you for the pic. Now I know I didn't weed plants again :o)

My Calla Lily 'Picasso' is also blooming.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2015 4:46 AM

Thumbnail by donnerville
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Loretta, that Loretto is astounding. Very beautiful. Also, interesting about the verbascum. I always thought they were so pretty but was unsure about their hardiness.

GT, I really like your desmodium. I winter sowed it and have some sprouts. I'll need to get them into a larger pot though so they get bigger. I think they are being constricted by their tiny starter pots.

Gita, my Brazilian Plume flower cutting is growing its first flower bud. I'm excited to see it bloom. I should probably repot it soon though because it's been in this pot for a while now.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Great, Jeff....The bloom will be beautiful...How big is your plant y now?

When the bloom withers--gently reach down around it and pinch it off.
Sometimes--this will prompt a second bloom to develop.
As a rule--blooms form only on the tips of the stems.

Picture, please, when it blooms. g.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Funny about Loretto, it was probably my least favorite in the order of lillies but it is the loudest in the yard. You can see it way down the block. And the habit is decent. The butterflyweed is self sown and the pot of orange calla lily was put there haphazardly. It's like sock you in the face orange over there.

Donnerville, Picasso is very lovely. I'm a sucker for purple in the garden and that oxalis in the background makes a nice foil. And the wildflower vignette above is beautiful!

Gigital, your neighbor's shastas are beautiful. No earwig issues with them?

Sequoia, what do you think of Dalea purpurea? I've always wanted to try it. Does it bloom long?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure thing G, I'll snap a pic when it blooms. I think after the bloom I'll repot it. It's about 10" tall maybe? Single stem for the most part. There are a couple branches but they are only an inch or two long.

Loretta, I definitely like the Dalea but it has proven to be a difficult plant to grow for me. Last year I planted it in my xeric bed. My first one died. I saw its death coming and had bought another one. The one pictured is the second one. It pretty much did nothing last year. I was even surprised it came back from the winter. It had grown about 6" this spring I think one of the neighbor kids stepped on it, breaking off one of the main branches. It recovered and branched out nicely. It is very pretty and I really do like it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! Amazing Lily #2---

This has now been blooming in this same spot every year for...maybe...5 years?
Right next to my Rose-Sweet Surrender--which is really showing her age....Sad...

Orienpet Lily--"Homeymoon"--It is soooo fragrant! You can smell it
from many feet away.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are some more blooms....just because they are so pretty....

1--Pink balloon Flower
2--First bloom on one of the Crocosmias- Kitchen side bed
3--Phlox in the same bed....Crocosmia in the back
4--Love these little Petunias--they are like a patch of Ground Cover
5--NOID Lily

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just a few more---

1--Sally's purple DL starting to bloom--
2--Window boxes on kitchen side landing--they sure fill up fast!
3--The beauty of Mandevilla--still climbing
4--A cluster--close-up
5--Finally!!! my Cukes are growing! Must be all that rain...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Everything is looking beautiful Gita! What type of sun is your crocosmia getting? I ask because I see it next to ferns and begonia grandis.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--
This is the bed i call my "Kitchen Side bed". It faces East and gets really good AM sun
light until about 2-3PM. Then it is brightly shaded--as there is nothing big planted on that
side--just my neighbor. Olga's--house about 15' away.
To me--this is perfect lighting for almost any plants. In the past--i have had amazing Coleus
displays in this bed--and the 'stump bed" just a few feet away.

The "Stump Bed" SO CALLED b/c once a River Birch grew there, got to be about
21 years old and slowly died. Eventually, I had it cut down, but asked that the stump
be left up so i could put a big pot of flowers on it.

Fast forward several years-----the stump was losing structure as it was slowly disintegrating.
I kept it propped up by bricks ans stones with a nice, big, deco paver on top of it all.
This is where the "Big Pot" always sat on.

I think--about 4-5 years ago--I started digging up the rotten remnants of the roots
from the Birch tree. I still am digging them up as I dig into this bed. Like--2 weeks ago...

Then Paul Novacek decided to gift me the beautiful deciduous Azalea "Great balls of Fire"
which now occupies the center of the bed and is doing VERY well.

BUT---I will always call it mt "Stump bed"...

The WS bed (Wintersweet Bed), at the end of my driveway, is so called because that
is where I had my "Wintersweet Srub"growing for about 15 years.
This bed is only about 5'-6' in diameter. I just got tired of this old shrub.

Paul was chomping at the bit to have it--so he came one day and the two of us dug it up
and he loaded it into his mother's old van and took it home. All in the same day.
This "EVENT" had some hilarious side stories---about this huge Shrub, and just the two of us
digging it up and trying to get it into the van. It all worked out--and now paul has the big
WS Shrub--and sally has one of the seedlings growing in her back bed.
She even wrote an article about it.....When it blooms (like February)--the scent is heavenly!

SO! As you can see--I have names for all my beds--and they all have some "history"
behind the "Why?"....

THE BIG DIG...... --APRIL, 2-13.

1-Massive root-ball--could have used a bigger tarp!

2--Trying to see just how to get it into the van. AHA! Make-shift ramp--some 2x4's.

3--OK!!!! Got the root-ball in the van--Paul climbed into it and pulled it in.
Big glitch! The rest of the shrub was not going to fit in there....Now what?????

4--Against my wishes--Paul just cut off the whole top of the shrub so he could shut the door.

5--Mission accomplished! Shrub gone! Gita happy! Paul has to now drive back to
his parents place and plant the shrub into a nice wooded setting. I hear it is doing great!

I still call it MY "WS BED"--and now you know why! Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is now where "The Big Pot" resides....on top of an BIG, upside-down,empty,
sturdy pot in my WS Bed.

1--M Dr. Seuss Brugmansia lived in the WS bed in 2013.

2--And--it grew HUGE! Had to give it away....

3--Then--it became the home of the "Big Pot"--2014

4--This BIG POT grew huge---and a Wren built a nest into it.
It bitched at me every time i watered it....

5--Now--there is a new BIG POT evolving in this bed. It is filling in nicely. 2015.
Hope the Wren decides to build a nest somewhere else.

Life just goes on--no matter what. Names are forever......Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow G, that Wintersweet was quite a plant you had there. It looks like Paul did a really good job digging the root ball. That kind of dig takes more patience than I tend to have. Thanks for taking us on the tour of some of your garden names. I tend to keep my garden names very simple too. It makes things easier.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

there was a lot more to tell with all this WS dig...like, I was the other worker...
Me--the little old lady....Just the two of us...

Paul had to move the van all the way to the bottom of my driveway
as it slopes downward more. THEN we put the 2x4's to it to drag--push--pull--lift
that massive root ball into the van. It was extremely difficult.

We ended up rolling the dug up root-ball down the driveway to the van.
Lost a lot of the soil in this process..made it a bit lighter...

Then, Paul's Van went dead--and I had to drive around and give him a hot-shot.

This is the funny part---WHY did Paul have to trim the whole top of the shrub back?
I SOOO complained about that!
Quote: I don;t want to attract any unnecessary attention driving back--as the
registration on this van is expired....Haaa..haa...

Now--the most unbelievable thing--Paul drove to his parent's house and single-handedly
unloaded that monster AND--planted it--all in the same day!!!

No comments needed.....end of story....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I need more imaginative names for my beds, I think. "Dining room bed," "Veggie Garden," "Front Bed," "Mailbox Garden" -- I guess those names work, but they're sure not inspiring!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Turtle Garden, Epimedium Walk, Fern Bank, Stepping Stone Garden, Daffodil Trail, Cottage Garden, ...

But then I also have the standard Front Island Bed, Turret Foundation Beds, Hillside Shade Garden...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.