Handling new 'baby' plants

Delhi, IA

This plant was a gift seven years ago from a Dave's garden member on the event of our fiftieth anniversary. It produced one 'baby' a couple of years ago but I must have removed it too soon since I don't have it.

It has two babies right now. (9 and 3 o'clock) What is the best treatment? Pot up in larger pot and wait? Think I removed the other one too soon and it didn't root.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Those offsets are barely big enough to separate. I would wait a few months and try later. They should be easy to get going, even if they start with no roots. Pot them up in about a 6 inch pot (use a fairly rocky mix) and water normally. You should see new growth in a few weeks. This agave (univittata "Quadricolor") is pretty tough and can survive quite a bit of abuse/neglect in my experience. Once it's up to speed it will enjoy a larger pot (like most agaves). The mother plant looks ready for a new pot. Very nice plant you have there, looks well cared for.

Here's my largest plant in the ground (planted this spring from a 10" pot), and a small offset that I started at that time (as described above). It started with no roots at all, a rhizome that had barely changed into a rosette, and it looked quite sad for a while. A couple of weeks ago I noticed it had become green again. You can tell from the two burnt leaves where the new growth started.

I never took a picture of the original offset... it looked really sad and I was not convinced it would recover.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Delhi, IA

I will pot it larger and wait. Thought if baby was on it's side it might get lop-sided. Will try to set it upright leaving it attached when I repot. Thanks for your advice.

Don't know if he is on anymore, but think the plant came from thistlesifter. Of course in Iowa it is always a houseplant, although it does get outside in the summer.

Sideways agave pups are no problem at all, they will grow right when you eventually separate them and point them upright.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.