Desert Rose plants

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love Desert Rose plants and have red, white and pink varieties I needed a place for the plants so I constructed a shade structure on the east side of my house. I used 50% shade tarp so the plants get full morning sun, partial shade daytime sun, and full shade after 4PM. The small plants are a variety of reds that I acquired this year. These spend the winter in my garage and now have a nice summer location

Thumbnail by 48flash Thumbnail by 48flash Thumbnail by 48flash
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Very nice. How fat they are!
I find it interesting how you sank the small terracotta pots into gravel in a bigger matching glazed pot. Does that help keep the little ones from frying in the hot Arizona sun or is it just done to match the pots? Do you water the gravel too?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The little pots are in the same soil mix as the bigger plants and they are surrounded by the same soil in their larger pot. This was my attempt to keep them from drying out too fast and keep the roots from getting cooked and yes I water both the little pots and the soil in between them. The small pots do keep the root systems of the individual small plant from becoming entwined; hopefully making it easier to separate them when they each get their own big pot. I got the little guys in March and so far they have doubled in size. Not sue what I am going to do with all these plants-----

Decatur, GA

Nice set up for sure. I noticed the little ones sunk in the soil/gravel in a big pot too. Its nice for display but I was also thinking it probably keeps the roots cool.
Did you make the shelves too?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The "shelves" are actually a convertible bench / table from Costco. The back flips up for use as a bench and flips flat for use as a table. For summer days (115 today) I'll use it as a table for my plants. It will get use as a bench during the cool months

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Nice setup and nice plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.