Clump Thread

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

It's not too late for a clump shot let alone two from two clumps of Genesta. The first pic actually have two blooms to the left that is not in the picture. " Bud Building" galore.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Great for this late in the season. The only thing I have left is a few buds on Carol Todd- the second reblooming.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

It's good to know about the bud builders and the late bloomers, thanks Mike. Genesta is sweet with those wavy petals.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I can not wait to see the final bud count on Genesta. I believe it would even do better bud count wise in a slightly warmer zone. Both clumps are eighteen and nineteen inches respectively above the registered height of thirty inches.

Wow, that's amazing, what an unexpected gift. 18-19" above the registered height is a LOT! Let us know the final bud count.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Might not do better in a warmer zone if it is a dormant. I would not mind trying one though. I had several budbuilders that were dormant and they did almost nothing. If you get a chance check out FIRESTORM. I had it for two years and only two flowers the first year and one the next and then it died. But the color is amazing and I never see a photo that does it justice, just saying.

I need to check on Mike Huben, I think he is working on some evergreen budbuilders. :) At one point I had looked up all these and had notes but do not ask me where the notes are now! (LINK)

http://huben.us/daylily/ExtendingPart2.pdf

I am very cautious of the registered information because it comes from the hybridnizer who sometimes exaggerates or rushes a plant to market and does not let the plant mature or do any extended trials, but if they later find out that they are wrong about something they almost never change it. I have gotten plants that were registered as evergreen or semi-evergreen and they turned out to be dormant, some say early and are mid, etc.

I have plants that are registered as having 30 buds and 5 branches and I have this plant blooming in the third year and still no more than 12 flowers for the whole season! Ok, I am talking about GRANDMA'S SMILE, planted in the fall of 2012. I will not toss this one because of its beauty.

Here is one bud-builder I had in 2014 FIRESTORM. The second one is POINT OF VIEW from 2013, the third is BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS from 2013, which is supposed to be a semi-evergreen so I bought a new one recently thinking it would be worth a second try. :)

Here is a clump of DR JERROLD CORBETT. *~*

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Firestorm and Point Of View are nice. I have Beautiful Edgings and Dr JC.
One never really know what a plant is going to do outside the hybridizer's zone. Almost every garden has its own micro climate. I have moved plants around that did better after moving. Dr JC is on the list to be moved. Putting Mia Bella Of Gascone in that prime spot.

Yes, very nice Susan!

Mike and Susan, how do Evergreens do in your respective zones, I'm understanding they struggle in colder zones.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Some times they do O.K. in Maryland, but most don't really thrive. Some just don't make it. A few are great. How's that for a wishy washy answer?.

That's a great answer, thanks. It just means it all depends on the genes and trial and error or research will provide my answer. It also sounds like I should stay away from Evergreens as I've been previously so wisely advised.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone!

You are right Mike, it is good to know the micro-climates. My hot zone would be the back yard because the privacy fence holds in heat and humidity. My cool spot in under the Birch trees where the zone is a full 20° cooler and always a nice breeze. That is where the hostas are.

I purchased some dormants in the spring and they went into shock as soon as they got here, it was just too hot, they went into a summer dormancy and died all the way down to the dirt, then when it cooled off some sprouted and some were dead. lol. Most dormants are not happy here, but I think I should plant dormants in the fall so they get the cold spell and gradually heat up but in part sun instead of full sun, to me that would be a good way to acclimatize a dormant into a warmer zone. We shall see.

Evergreens are more successful up north if you plant them in the spring, they have all year to get roots down and acclimatize which helps them make it through the winter. blomma said she never had any trouble with evergreens and she lives in zone 4!

However, there are those who register their daylilys as semi-evergreen when they are not, they just want to sell to more people up north! Some just seem to label everything SEV. because they cross a dormant with an evergreen and you get this magical daylily that is good all over the US and that is not true.
Most of the time the plant takes after one parent or the other, I was wondering if SEV is something they made up for marketing purposes? I have PRINCESS DIANA which is supposed to be SEV but it acts like a dormant and gets smaller each year, I wonder if they put SEV on a dormant to get people in the south to try it?

Live and learn! I think it is worth it to try what you love, just do not pay a lot for it just in case. I do not believe the hybridnizer photos either, they are touched up and even photoshopped! They do not realize that we will not go back and buy their daylilies if they do not come true. The colors are so ridiculous I must insist on seeing it in a real garden, photographed by a real gardner.

I myself have decided not to plant anything else in the spring because it gets too hot too fast and I am stuck watering them everyday. If I plant things in the fall I do not have to water at all, as long as it is not too late in the fall. I noticed that a little plant tone or bone-meal helps get them roots down pretty fast, if you know what I mean. :) My problem is that I get board over the winter and start shopping, I am glad I did my shopping at Maryott's because he will gladly hold them till fall for me.

I have a clump of COMING ALIVE , my first free intro. from Maryott's. This daylily looks like it is on fire when the sun shines on it. It was registered as having two branches and mine has 4 but the bud count is small, no rebloom. Sorry for bad pic!

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan you have a good plan on the planting times. Coming Alive is a cutie for sure. I take a chance with all foliage types if I like the plant.
Endless Heart is a evergreen that is one of the first to bloom around here.

Wow Susan, that was an amazing amount of info. Thanks for the good read and the nuggets of knowledge. I quite like your problem solving skills, it's admirable when people find ways to work smarter, not harder. It's downright commendable when they share their findings with other people.

Wyoming, MN

I am in 4a and have not had trouble with Ev's. True they are usually planted i the Spring here. I do move plants around sometimes , usually in the Fall. The Ev's are perhaps not as robust as they would be in the south, but there are some beauties. Ebony Eyes and Rolling Raven are among my favorite Ev's.

I don't hesitate to try any foliage type but of course I am always using price as a factor. New releases are quite expensive and unless you are into major hybridizing efforts, it is worth waiting a few years for their price to come down. I am really partial to the brightly colored ones Red Orange and Yellow. But I do have some nice ones in many colors and for a while I collected as many nice whites as I could find.

No blooms left here but am harvesting seed pods. Didn' make any of my own crosses this summer but the bees were busy. The seeds are always a fun winter project for me.

Thanks Hostages, it's really nice to have your input. I'm going to have great fun with my seeds all winter, including a cross with Rolling Raven...Mmm!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone!! Great advice Gary!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.