Horse crippler seeds

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I picked this seed pod yesterday and it was swollen with seeds! Pretty cool sight for sure.

Looks like I will have some babies soon.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I planted some Ferocactus seeds last month and already have an entire crop of young-uns. I am attaching a photo of what happens when I get impatient - they don't always hatch in a month. I think I have about 3 years of seeds in this pot - no telling what they are.

The lesson here is don't get impatient when growing cactus.

Daisy

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I did the same thing last spring and ended up with about 100 babies of different types. I will keep them separated this time!

Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Those are huge seeds! How fun!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I had a second pot that was a little mixed up but the plants were large enough to transplant. After I was done re-arranging the soil in the pot to remove all the little cacti, I shoved the empty pot under a bench in my greenhouse. I got it out yesterday to dispose of it and discovered I have another dozen or so little cacti coming up.

Lesson 2: Don't be too hasty in getting rid of "empty" pots. 8')

Decatur, GA

Thats fun Daisy. I like to find volunteers myself. Here and there… I wonder how they survive.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I wonder what they were doing all those years before sprouting. I guess its a desert thing - wait until the conditions are right, even if it does takes years.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Yesterday I was at my favorite big box store - they had just received an entire pallet of Trichocereus grandiflorus hybrids in 6 inch pots. They had all bloomed a long time before reaching the store and every one of them was covered with huge bursting seedpods.

The seed pods were all different colors: red, yellow, orange, green. I've never seen so many colorful seedpods.

Have any of you ever seen anything like that? Is the seedpod color an indicator of the flower color? I have white blooming and red/pink blooming T. grandiflorus and they have green seedpods. The more I think about them, the more I want to rush back and buy one of every color.

Daisy

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Nice Daisy!

The only seed pods I have been able to harvest have been red, but I am sure there are other colors. Happy planting!

Russell

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I only bought the orange one but tomorrow is another day. If you want to start some, send me an envelope. I will let you know in a few years if seedpod color has anything to do with flower color.

Daisy

Andrews, TX(Zone 8a)

Wouldn't that be cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.