Aloe ID help, please.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I bought this aloe, simply labeled "Aloe" in a box store many years ago. It didn't look like the typical aloe plants I see around here. It was in a gallon pot all alone and a leftover from the previous year. The manger marked it down for me. I planted it in Florida sand from my yard into this huge planter. It has taken off and multiplied like crazy. I finally got some flowers the first time this year. One big cluster on a tall stalk on one of the plants. (There is some Devil's backbone in with it, not to confuse anyone).

Appreciate any ideas...thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Looks like Aloe Vera.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I can't help with a positive ID but I can exclude Aloe vera, which makes yellow flowers on a simpler (not multibranched) inflorescence.

Whatever it is, the flowers are very pretty. That tricolor effect is striking.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks,
I thought the flowers were going to be yellow when in bud stage, so surprised to see the coral/green/yellow combo coloring once fully opened.
Even the plant is a pretty shiny bright green color, with softer teeth than my other aloes, which is what attracted me to the plant to begin with.

One thing for sure it is very happy in the pot I put it in, gets mostly shade, just morning and late afternoon sun. Just rain water for irrigation.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The flowers really remind me of Aloe camperi, but while the leaves look similar to mine, they are greener and plumper, but that could simply be a matter of water/humidity/temperature or that it is a hybrid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.