Garden Party Volunteer needed!!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I personally enjoy the diversity of the entire group and feel that two swaps would diminish the experience sufficiently to outweigh the convenience to me of less travel.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, that'll give me time to do some painting & cleaning up here. Ok, we got time. Take care. Sorry we didn't make it May 9 but short of cash. I did manage to hit a couple nurseries & greenhouses and one plant sale but that was it. It's a real bummer to live month to month on social security but my freedom is worth that!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I doubt I could make two real swaps in a month.
More casual pre-swapping really helps though.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I like small scale pre-swapping gatherings too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Cam, don't go for a woman that loves plants and gardening, you will soon be and will remain broke $$$ for life. Want to spend $100 bucks for some exotic, sure go ahead! No voice of reason. Want to drive 4 hours out of the way to see a garden someone mentions in a post, by all means. Taking the train to Philly so you don't have to drive through the ice to ogle and ahh at the flowers, sure. I'm sure your getting the point of this. LOL

Frederick, MD

Hmmmm,Ric... spend my money on awesome plants that I will enjoy for years ? Or spend my money on designer clothes, shoes, and hand bags for a high maintenance woman ? Or maybe spend it on high end restaurants and see the money flushed down the toilet in 12-36 hours ? Hahaha... I actually do enjoy a fine meal out at a higher frequency than most people so I wouldn't exactly have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

Yeah, if I find a great woman who doesn't garden then it's not a tragic loss. It's on my list of wants in a woman but not on my list of needs. :) There are a ton of good women out there and I will just take my time finding the one that fits me well, and vice versa. In the meantime, I have lots of work to keep me busy!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I wanted to comment on the whole need a woman who likes plants thing. My wife could care less about the flowers, shrubs, trees, etc. She doesn't care if something flowers in the spring or summer or fall. She doesn't know the difference between a pine or a spruce, large shrub or small tree. She infrequently will even comment on the garden or yard but that's not why I do it anyway. What she does appreciate is that I have a hobby that brings me joy and that's what matters to her. You do not need to find a woman who has an interest in gardening. Lol...take Ric's example.

Way to go anyway Ric, even if you are broke from plants because you have a wife who loves gardening, at least you have Holly who is pretty great ;-)

Frederick, MD

Like I said, true... but I feel it's important for a couple to have at least a few shared interests, things they enjoy doing and doing together. Doesn't have to be gardening but it would be a very nice interest to share.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Watching the tv is our shared interest ;-)

Frederick, MD

That's a good one, actually... my last gf wanted to watch a lot of shows that I had zero interest in and then got upset if I wasn't watching along with her and when I talked to her during her show and interrupted her. I'm laughing now, by the way, but at the time I was shaking my head.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

CAM, I think Ric was joking that since he and Holly are both gardeners, there's no one in the family that reins in their plant spending and frequent garden trips.

They're addicts living with fellow addicts/enablers! :D

DH and I are both big fans of trying out new restaurants. Have you tried VOLT in Frederick? It's by the TV celebrity chef Brian Voltaggio, and probably the fanciest restaurant in Frederick County. They just got a new chef who's supposed to be excellent.

Frederick, MD

Yah, I know he was joking... pretty funny too. :)

Yes, I have... very nice place. I prefer a couple of the nicer restaurants over in Baltimore but if I want a very nice meal without the trip, I will go there. Frederick has a good many very nice restaurants. Others I like a lot: Ayse Meze, Reina, and Gladchuk. Of course, when you have one restaurant for every 4 people in the town, you're bound to have some good ones. Haha

ROFL Seq...us too! Fortunately our TV tastes match well. I don't like chick flicks.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Marianne likes to cook; I like to eat.

Marianne likes to imbibe; I'm happy to pour.

Marianne's family is from Germany; I don't mind tagging along to visit.

Marianne is, uh, reach-challenged; I can get things off the top shelf (and change a light bulb, without a step-ladder).

Quite the match...

Frederick, MD

Sounds like a match made in the best part of Heaven, VV.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Marianne is, uh, reach-challenged; I can get things off the top shelf (and change a light bulb, without a step-ladder).

Once my husband said there was dust on top of the refrigerator. I told him it didn't bother me because I couldn't see it :-).

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, Donner!!!

Jeff and I don't have much in common, except we love the Lord and our family. Oh, and we like to camp.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Geez, that's all you need Jan!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan, what insect repellent do you use to keep ticks away when camping? There are many deer around my property. I am just terrified of getting deer ticks on me.

if it's any consolation, with taking Addy for walks and just in our suburban yard, Mark and I are constantly getting ticks off. Usually still mobile or lightly attached.
Rodent control is actually very helpful in reducing 'deer' tick population.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Rodent control. Yes, yes!! Will tell that to hubby let him decide which he wants to keep, his pet groundhog and rabbits or ticks, hehe!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Donner, I have NO idea how to repel ticks. We usually use Cutter's for skeeters. We do need to check for ticks.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Anyone know when the fall swap is going to be? I'd like to have a date in mind so I can put it on the calendar. Labor day weekend is Sept 5-7 so I vote that out (not that my vote is the end all be all). Darcy and I are going to the beach that weekend. I guess the best dates then would be either 8/29 or 9/12. Any thoughts?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was wondering the same thing just a few days ago Ric and my Fall Schedule is pretty full.
Cam, Have you given any thought to a date yet?

Frederick, MD

I'm open to a date in September... I assume most would want to stay away from Labor Day weekend. How does Saturday, the 12th sound ?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm good for the 12th.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

12th works for me too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We are good for the 12th also.

it's my Saturday off!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, nuts. I'm going to be in Canada with my folks... not going to get back to Frederick until Sept. 17th.. Does Sat the 19th or Sunday the 20th work? If not, I'll figure out another way to do the fall bulb logistics, maybe just have them sent to Terri (yes, she offered LOL) instead, if they are in by then. Of course, I hate to miss a swap, but it happens.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a stinker Jill =(

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David and I are fine with the 12th.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Sept 12 works for me too.

Frederick, MD

Ruh-Roh... Would like to have Jill be able to make it !

Let's try this: Is everyone good for the 19th ?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know if we should have it that late. I have concerns with swapped plants being able to root in before the cold weather sets in. If not the 12th, what about the 29th of Aug?

Frederick, MD

Works for me. Any objections to 8/29 ?

good here- it is also an off-work Sat for me

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I couldn't make 8/29 we will be in Alaska, but like Critter said pick the date that works best for you and the majority. We could make 9/19.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The only plans I have for weekends in August or September are Aug 22, so any of the dates being tossed around are fine with me :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.