Garden Party Volunteer needed!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We need someone to come forward and volunteer to host the fall swap. Hint, all the new gardeners have seen what is involved. All you need to do is be receptive to being invaded by fellow gardeners bearing food and plants.

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll volunteer for a spring swap, but before fall frost you have to coat yourself in DEET before venturing into my yard. At least I've beaten the skeeters back to where they don't get bad until late July or early August rather than early June.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Another benny to hosting is, the very short travel time!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Me! Me! Me!! Oh wait...wrong state :(

Frederick, MD

Somebody new ?

Maybe somebody who just bought their house recently and could use lots of gardeners to come and give some good advice.

Maybe somebody who lives in central Maryland, pretty easy for everyone to get to the house.

Any ideas who would fit that description ??

This message was edited May 15, 2015 8:52 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Please, just give us a clue so we can narrow it down a bit.

Frederick, MD

Hmmmmmm.... a hint.... His name is Cam and he's from MD.

Good hint ?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Good hint and great offer if you are going to volunteer. Wow, I think we'd all love to see what you've done with your new home. The pictures are wonderful, but nothing beats an in-person view.

Frederick, MD

And I'd love to have lots of experienced gardeners to offer up their opinions on how to make the landscaping look even better. I'll have some big changes done by then but there's plenty of room for more.

Will be a pleasure hosting everyone too, of course !

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, CAM!

Frederick, MD

My pleasure, Jill. Your job will be to make sure nobody parks on my grass. LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Cam!

It would be hard to find an easier group of people to host.

Frederick, MD

My pleasure.. looking forward to it

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You don't want to give me that job, CAM... I'm not all that fond of grass. ;-)

Boy that was easy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Whoo hooo!!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Yay! Thanks so much for volunteering, CAM!

Frederick, MD

My pleasure, SSG. Maybe by then I'll have a new girlfriend to help with the preparation. Just let the last one go. Just a few too many, "whatever" looks when I was showing off my new plants to her. Must find a gardening woman next. ;) I'm only half kidding... not the only reason I let her go but geez, she could have at least feigned interest, right ? RIGHT ?? :))

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear that, CAM. Definitely need someone who shares the interest, even if not the actual work. And must love cats!

Frederick, MD

Yeah... like I said, could at least feign interest, geez ! It's all good... plenty of beautiful fishes in the sea. :) And yes, MUST love cats. And sure wouldn't hurt if she's a football fan, can cook, has an IQ over 130, and doesn't have any major communicable diseases. Hahaha

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Don't go looking in Rosaceae then...

Frederick, MD

Note to self: Self, do not go looking in Rosaceae.

Got it. Of course, it helps that I have no idea where that is. :)

CAM, when the perfect woman comes along, you may not even mind that she's not into gardening. :) My hubby is really good at feigning interest, and also excellent at carrying heavy bags and containers!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I love to get to explain in depth...

Rosaceae = the Rose family, replete with such plants as Rose, Cherry, Peaches (see where I'm going with this) ... Hawthorn, Serviceberry, Pyracantha, Apple, Crabapple, and a host of other species.

Common to many of these genera are things like Black Spot, Scab, Rust, Frog-eye Leaf Spot, Fireblight - and several more communicable diseases.

With all that, the "one off" has lost its zing...

Frederick, MD

Haha.... VV... I knew that sounded familiar. Sorry for blowing that one for you. :)

SSG.... While I know that's true, it's also very cool to have a few shared interests. And gardening, what a great one to share.

Back to mowing. Whew.... Hot and humid out there! Really going to have to do deep watering very soon.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good call Cam. Not even feigning interest = possible passive aggressive way of showing disdain and resentment vis-a-vis your passion for gardening. If prospective replacements aren't interested in gardening, must be profuse in compliments for what you've done

Frederick, MD

Agree with every word, Muddy. It was a sure sign she was not the right one.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.... Hope everyone likes raw squid and pickled fish.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great, I am always up for seeing a new garden.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

CAM, thank you for volunteering. I am looking forward to it.

I agree with SSG. When the right woman comes along, you wouldn't mind if she is a gardener or not. SSG's husband at least feigns interest. Mine doesn't even bother ;o). And he gives apples and carrots to his pet groundhog who lives under the shed.

Frederick, MD

Geez, I'm trying to figure out how to humanely get rid of the groundhogs that live under my shed. Neighbor says they used to live under her shed and it stunk like fermented cabbage. When they moved it, they realized why... a bunch of groundhog carcasses among the ones still living in there. No thanks !

But yeah, if I meet a woman who is otherwise fantastic, I won't care if she doesn't even know the difference between an annual and a perennial. But while I'm looking, going to look for one that does like to garden. :)

Geez this thread really got sidetracked. hahaha

D: Your hubby feeds your groundhog? Eeek!

CAM, we're a distractible bunch, aren't we! lol

Frederick, MD

Ha... sure are, SSG. I like it though... very social and friendly group of people. :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yay CAM, thanks for volunteering! Already looking forward to it.

Frederick, MD

Now you're just placing unreasonable expectations on me. Hahaha... I kid, I kid.

carcasses, ewwww. I did have a groundhog burrow out back once and it DID have flies around it.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

raw squid and pickled fish?! Hmm...maybe I'll just wander around your garden and look for edible plants ; - )

Frederick, MD

Haha... I think my Hydrangeas are edible but I wouldn't bet money on it. :) Maybe I could interest you in some clover. That would help me out a lot. This yard is probably 25 percent clover but I'm waging war on it.

I had raw squid while stationed on Guam but it was in a pasta salad so not too bad. Eating it by itself... no thanks. But don't worry, I'll have something MUCH more palatable than that, I promise.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I've thought about hosting a swap at my place. It's not the biggest place but it's surrounded by woods, we are on a hill, we have tents and a carport. The neighbors would allow you to park. Thinking hard about this. When in the autumn do they have it? Thanks, Buttoneer. Oops sorry Cam beat me to it. LOL.

This message was edited May 16, 2015 9:32 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Button, I'd love to see your place! Maybe next spring we can do north/south swaps... one at your place and one around DC or south of DC... that would mean more people would be close enough to one or the other, and folks in the middle might even be able to make it to both!

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

If we have it on a Sunday before Sept 11 (Rosh Ha Shana starts) I'll bring some killer spring rolls and pot stickers

Yehudith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.