am i being paranoid?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Im sure i have shown what a tomato novice i can be on the tomatoes forum in the past, lol, but here goes another round of questions for you guys.

I did get some good sized tomato plants out of the spring seedling starts, and they are in the ground now after i gave them about a week of outdoor exposure. One little thing has me paranoid though. The plants have definitely been growing since i planted them in, but the lower leaves have gone a little off tone. The Big Beef tomato you can not see the evidence too well on. But another variety i have that i received in a trade, that was supposedly called Old Kentucky, shows it a bit more intense than the Big Beef. The lower leaves also have a few little brown marks on it on the Old Kentucky tomato. The top growth is looking good though.

These photos were taken more along the later afternoon, so the color of the sunlight may be exaggerating it in the photos.

Also if it helps, the lower leaves that are changing are the leaves that they grew while they were indoors. The white residue is from where i sprayed some magnesium sulfate on the leaves.....just to see if that would clear it up, also a few days later i gave them a good dose of all purpose Miracle Gro.

Also is it ok that the leaves on the new growth seems to be cupped upwards a little bit?

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

a cloudy day today, so i got a couple more shots so you can see it in a different lighting.

I have also noticed the occasional flea beetle on them, only one or two so far though

This message was edited Apr 25, 2015 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

someone....anyone?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

They're hanging kinda low into the soil. Splashback.

I just trimmed all my low hanging foliage (again) this evening. Have about 10" of bare stems on the bottom. They look pitiful, but they're healthy...

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I think they look great. Looks like you did trim them but maybe a bit more? Those cages are going to look might puny pretty soon.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ok i will definitely clip off a few more lower branches. Only reason they are so huge already is because i jumped the gun and started them a month earlier than what i usually do--a bit of impatience and a green thumb that started itching me to death, LOL. So of course they got huge on me by the time it was time to start setting them out.

I did put a bit of partially broken down leaf mulch around the bases of the plants to help with the soil splashing, but havent been able to put it much elsewhere in my garden because of my flower / herb seedlings not quite being big enough yet.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I know, right? My tomatoes are huge too and I usually don't plant them out until mid May. They look ready right now and I don't want to pot up again.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

an update: the Big Beef tomato seems to have shaken off its yellow tone from its lower leaves, back to green. Clipped off a few more branches from the Old Kentucky tomato, now its looking a bit more normal agian.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Chico, CA

Glad for you - I have been doing the same thing, pruning off the lower yellow branches and leaves. They are all looking good now just like yours. I was thinking maybe I should spray some preventative neems oil but will hold off.

Good luck as the season progresses.

Keith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.