Is this an Ox Tongue or a different variety?

Grand Portage, MN(Zone 4a)

I am starting a greenhouse business and I really want and need to know what my plants are. I am thinking this is an "Ox Tongue" Gasteria but I'm not sure. Can anyone give me a positive ID on this? This is the FIRST ever Gasteria I have ever owned so I have a lot of learning to do. I am VERY fond of this plant. Succulents are my favorite of all plants!

Also, I'm thinking of removing the baby "pups" and I'm wondering would they be large enough to have their own roots? Do these have roots if still attached to the mother plant? If no roots, then what's the best way to allow them to grow on their own?

Thank you,
Delayne

Thumbnail by Delayneplants Thumbnail by Delayneplants Thumbnail by Delayneplants Thumbnail by Delayneplants Thumbnail by Delayneplants
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

That is definitely a Gasteria but I couldn't tell you which one.

Yes, the pups are ready to move on. The mother plant will do better and grow bigger if you remove the competition from the pot every so often. Those offsets probably have some roots, just separate them carefully and don't water them for a couple of days afterwards.

You can pot up a rootless offset and it will grow roots, just be sure to allow the soil to dry out between watering (generally a good idea with this genus).

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I accidentally knocked two leaves off one of my very large Gasteria a couple years ago. I propped them up in a pot with sticks, stuck them in a corner and ignored them. I now have a whole colony of little pupplets coming up around the base of the leaves.

Awesome~ I have really been wanting to pull them but I wasn't sure. Thank you!

I think I may have identified this~~ I think this could be a Dwarf gasteria, klein-beestongopecell but would appreciate it if someone else could take a look and see what they think.

Thanks,
Delayne

I can't help narrow down the ID... in my experience Gasterias are hard to pin down (at least relative to other succulents). Not only are there subtle differences between species but there are lots of hybrids out there with intermediate features.

Last year I tried crossing 2 Gasterias that looked fairly different in terms of leaf shape (pointy/rounded), surface texture (spots/stripes), and overall shape (distichous/rosette). The offspring came out with every possible combination of these features. It would be very confusing to try and sort out the parentage based on the appearance of the seedlings.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I agree with Baja. My Gasteria were grown from seed and I have never figured out exactly what they are.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The plants labeled as Gasteria 'ox tongue' I just saw and almost bought at the semi-annual plant sale of Boyce Thompson Arboretum here in Arizona were way more dark green (almost black) and did not have any of the speckling.
I have no alternative ID for you and second the comments by previous posters about the complexity of ID'ing Gaserias and its many inter and intra species hybrids.
It is a very nice plant even without a correct ID!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

PS: Anyone needing some un-identified Gasteria, send me a D-mail.

Daisy

Thank you all for your input and I think I will just leave it as a Gasteria and be OK with it :)

I forgot to mention~~ Baja, Thank you so much for the information on removing the babies. I did it this morning and it was so easy~ They were all very well rooted :)

Well, if you're looking for a plant that makes more of itself, you've certainly found it. :)

In my experience the usual offsetting Gasteria requires a couple of de-puppings before it gets to a decent size. That is of course unless you're going for the clumpy look, in which case hands off and let nature do her magic.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Gasteria pillansii likely. 'Ox tongue' is a common name sometimes applied to any Gasteria.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.