Morning Glories 2015 #03

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1386698

Blue Lav Beauty July 2012

Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Jackie. Beautiful color.

You're welcome, thanx :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

OKAY i FOUND YOU.. I AM STILL AWAKE. stoopid caps lock. Beautiful Blue Lav Beauty, Jackie.

Had some alone time from 11 pm to now.. I took all these pics since first of March..I saw 4 points tonight, so will get those tomorrow
4 o clock, ( sending it to you, Jackie) Upright EE colocasia momma bloom, star of india , silver shadows, white purp ( from my sisters seeds)
we have missed quite a few. I saw the huge red with white edge the other night but it was closing. we have peppermint hige blooming, lots of seed pods from shibouri and jaimie lynn , white with purple specks, large pink, and blue lav purp .

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I did not know that ee, bloom?
Beautiful blooms Debra.

Gautier, MS

Love that blue color Jackie.

Beautiful blooms Debra. Love that Four o'clock color too.

Had my first hummer yesterday. Stopped at Lowes this afternoon, they had quite a lot of spring plants in. I hope it keeps getting warmer!

Thanks Debra and Helena.
Gorgeous blooms Debra. How nice to see a SOI.
Linda, EE is an elephant ear. Its in the aroid family and I guess all the aroids make
that type bloom.
Helena hoping my Lowes gets their spring plants in by the end of March.
although we can still have a freeze until April 15th.

Jackie, me too, they have the pansies and stuff, but, I am still putting a few things out. I am having my son bring a few things up, and the rolling cart. Joe can roll stuff in and out, or use the dolly. we are starting out front facing East on the porch and under the cedar tree. There's lots of room on the east side. I have saved a tub of leaves to throw down if I need too. I'm setting my tomatoes out, but in a tub. I'm moving some of the zone challenged things, if they are zone 8 hardy they can handle a freeze for a few hours. If covered, they stay warm and toasty.I'm turning my big dry leaves into a top mulch. I am working in some peat and vermiculite. I will be sitting the whole time, a foot or two a week. Maybe by fall I will have it done. I'm going to have Joe dig big tub sized holes and sink my big pots. those are like 30-40 gallon pots. Now that I know where everything can grow and what I don't want on the fences, because of the children and dogs. To the North of me I have a young couple with pair of daughters, 3 and 5, the youngest has cancer. She is doing real well. They have two huge labs, Wesson and Dotty, and a new Cocker Spaniel named Scout. SO cute. They jump on the fence to say hi to me and about knock it down, and I don't want the kids to eat anything .. *sigh* We have a new set of neighbors to the south of us. They entertain their little 3 yr old, have their siblings and friends come over on Friday nights, have a fire and party for the kids. They just got a little bitty puppy, for her birthday, and she throws the poor thing around like a toy. Anyway, Joe thinks it is a PitBull.

Don't you just love my chattiness tonight?
You have to see the Queen Emma Crinum I got from Prita, when I first joined DG. This thing is a huge plant, it's base is almost 8 inches. it has a bud!
did I show you this mg bloom yet?

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

While my I. Ochracea keeps a steady flow of about 5 flowers per week, I'm a bit concerned about my annuals. I fear I started to early, but I really need them this year: I'm completely reworking the garden, as the former owner had straight paths with straight thuja hedges as a see-through barrier - I hate that, so I'm creating a curved path with some bushes and some higher perennials which will add up to provide visual protection, but will not look as massive and unfriendly. As both bushes and bigger perennials will take some time (only my beloved Plume Poppy is already in place) I'm planning to use MGs on trellis columns as a stand-in, and while doing so I'm exploring the genus.

I was just about to complain that the Quamoclits don't germinate well, but I just saw two more breaking through, so there's on thing less to worry. But I do have a Lobata and a Flying Saucer Tricolor which raced ahead and are already showing buds, and a Hederifolia Lutea close behind them. I feel I'll have to slow them down, as I still have 6-8 weeks until I'm sure there will be no more freezing outside. I do have an unheated but bright shed which won't freeze anymore - do you think they will be able to deal with the "shock", as I have no bright place of intermediate temperature?

My other problem are the Slooteri: They germinated well, but now three of five seeds went limb and died - I don't think I overwatered them, as the soil still looks well vented, and they never fell dry - I'm puzzeled, since it was the same soil mix I used for all the other Ipomoeas. I always thought tetraploids would be more robust, now they are the only ones dying?

Debra you guys are busy. Please don't over do it and hurt your backs.

Garak, you have been busy too. I hope you have pictures to post soon.

Gautier, MS

Love that yellow bloom and others blooms too Debra. Your plants look great.

I had a nice surprise this morning, found this white blooms on this coccinea hiding went I went by. I've been bringing plants out of gh too. Hope my hummer finds nectar in them! Wild roses starting to bloom too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Lovely blooms Debra. Can't wait to see that Crinum bud open.

Beautiful white blooms Helena.

Helena, those are beautiful!

oh i Love those salvias. Well, I have daffodils blooming I can't believe this it is going to be 80 something tomorrow. Tried to rake a few leaves, the wagon is full of potting spoil so now I have piles waiting to go to the compost. Charlie and his G/f came over and so did Rose, we had a nice BBQ lunch. Charlie brought up the huge firespike and the self watering bucket to put a tomato wire on and get ready for the new tower of power. I am making three more.. Found out the new neighbors have a 1 yr old Elias, and the three yr old is Lilly, sweet names. The little puppy is Cassie and mom and dad are Helen and Jay. Now I know the neighbors. and .. They Love flowers and vines and I am in hog heaven cuz they are looking forward to my crazy gardens.
Garak:
I don't know what to tell you about your seedlings, I try at least 3 of each, some make it some don't.
We are still in the running for another snow/freeze, but I am not too worried.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2015 11:07 PM

This is my new raised bed. 4 - 4X4 sections. Hubby put it together today, I have about 15 bags of soil dumped so far, about 45 more to go! All my potted roses will be placed here, then the empty pots will be cleaned and filled with angel trumpets. I left the stump in the middle as I want to make a fairy garden in the center.

Thumbnail by taters55

Some of you are getting a lot accomplished while I'm off to my usual slow start. :-(
Your raised beds look good Linda.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 2:27 AM

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies.

I agree with Jackie, your raised beds look very nice. Your roses should grow really nice in them Linda!

Julie has the Easter swap open.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1388581/#top

good evening and happy green st pattys day.. here are some other kinda colors..
I am saving all seed pods from the nils in one glass and purps in another.. is the spotted one a jmg or a purp?
oh well, basement mix nils and basement mix purps it will be LOL

An updated pic of the EE bloom at its best, it will be slowly fading now.. crinium still growing,points about to bloom all over the place.. Joanna is sick but working, ugh. Joe got his taters planted today. it was cold to me, cuz I dressed for yesterday and Sunday, but shoulda dressed for two weeks ago.. LOL

Those are very pretty Debra.

Thanks, Linda. Wish I was sharing pictures of babies and things like that, but oh well..

Blood doesn't always mean Family.
Hope you are doing okay down there... got any babies popped up yet?
Jackie, I can't remember the name of this morning glory climbing the banana trunk here..
I guess I have two of them.. different locations..

can you see the setosa in the passion vine?
the vines are wanting to bust out the window and escape, I think.
Last pic is my salvia gearing up again.

Debra, your spotted mg bloom is a nil, JMG.
Is the 2nd bloom in that same set a Lantana?
Love your 2nd pic in the next set showing off your Epi
Debra, not sure, is it a carica, (mile a minute) a platensis, or indica?

No babies yet Debra. I hope to see some soon!

Gautier, MS

Your plants look good Debra.

I noticed today that it's getting way too warm in the green house after lunch. I been pulling more of my plants out. My new mg seedlings are doing good. Don't know when the oldest mg's will decide to make buds. Seems the new soil I added is too strong for some of the seedlings. Still have too many plants to get into bigger pots.

I'm expecting a large order of tropical and salvia plants for my hummers this afternoon. Some I grew quite a few years back and lost them one by one. So here goes more work for me.
I collected my first batch of snow peas at lunch, just enough to get a taste. Wild roses blooming too.
Hope everyone one is having a good day.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2015 12:55 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

oh wow, peas! I should have planted some. dang. I love peas. That wild rose is so pretty!
bradford pears are blooming, crab apples are blooming.. I am still cold here at 44 today..

Gautier, MS

Thanks Debra, the peas were tasty!

44 is cold for me too, can't believe some more snow for the North.

Helena, love your pics. Great shot of your snow pea vine.
Lovely wild white rose.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie.

It is definitely spring here now! Walmart and Lowes have loads of their plants in!
I get so tempted with roses and tropical.

We were teased with a few days of 78 degree weather, now its back to the 50's.
Not for long though, our 70's headed back. Hooray!!!

34 this am and now up to the high 60's. feels so good out right now. Stay Strong Helena .. LOL

It is 76 and we have a light rain here.

Helena, did you get your plants? Where did you order them from?

Gautier, MS

Beautiful day here! Took out a lot of my plants out of the gh, still not done. Not use to it being so hot this early in the season but I don't want it to get cold again either. Got a little tired out, so thanks Debra!

Yes LK, I got my plants but not quite all of them. I guess 4 of them were not ready so they will ship them later. Had one plant with a bloom (candy corn). I got them from Pepper's Greenhouses. There are a lot of mail order nursery's to choose from.

Helena, I hope it doesn't turn off cold forcing you to carry your plants back in.
Will be May for me.
I haven't done well with my candy corn, it looks awful.
Hope you have better luck I know mine wants to bloom in the fall and winter,
more than in summer.
Something I noticed is that the daffodils are just now hitting their stride here.
They should have bloomed in late Feb-early Mar but it didn't happen. They
were under a layer of ice and snow most likely or just the intense cold,

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I hope that doesn't happen either. It will be a real pain if that happens, just hope the cold weather is done for us!

I think this weather has done something to the azeleas blooms too, I have a few small plants blooming but the big plants are not blooming. Kind of unusual for them not to be blooming at the same time.

Helena, now that you mention it, I don't see a single Azalea blooming in my area either.
Maybe not quite time here yet. I only see the Bradford pear trees blooming with their pretty white blooms. I'll be watching for the Redbud trees to bloom. Seems like they bloom right after the Bradford pears.

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi ladies! I wanted to pop in because I've got lots of MG babies coming up in two of my pots, below where my purpea lived. Most of them are probably purpea, however in one of them I had planted one of the more interesting MGs that you sent me, Debra, but it never came up. A couple of the others that I sowed in other places came up, but never became much of anything before winter - I think I started the whole process too late.

I was wondering if one of the new babies in the pots might be one of the seeds you sent me, Debra. Is that possible? Could it have overwintered and waited till spring? Now I have the dilemma of figuring out which of my babies to keep!!

That is possible the seeds waited till spring to grow, as they do in nature.

Gautier, MS

Rained here just enough to give the plants a light drink.

So here is what has been popping up from the ground, my blue dawn(2nd pic) and the one with white blooms(had to look it up...pandy). Then my salvia blooms and all my salvia young plants (can't say they are seedlings any more).

This message was edited Mar 22, 2015 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Those are all looking nice Helena.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.