Non-tomato news: New Kidney Transplant!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Some folks get really upset if you get off topic and yet it is difficult some times to find enough to say about one. That is why it is good to discuss like David says, some doesn't hurt. Otherwise the thread fades away.

Do any of you have any sure way of getting rid of moles and gophers? My sister has been fighting them for 5 years. They just took 5 of her tomatoes, and a half a dozen broccolis out. It really is tough when you are waiting for those first tomatoes and find the critters have taken them already.

All of you being in Texas might not have them there??

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Some folks get really upset if you get off topic and yet it is difficult some times to find enough to say about one. That is why it is good to discuss like David says, some doesn't hurt. Otherwise the thread fades away.

Do any of you have any sure way of getting rid of moles and gophers? My sister has been fighting them for 5 years. They just took 5 of her tomatoes, and a half a dozen broccolis out. It really is tough when you are waiting for those first tomatoes and find the critters have taken them already.

All of you being in Texas might not have them there??

Dahlonega, GA

Get a cat for moles and tell me how to get rid of gophers .My dogs dig trenches trying to dig them out . No luck , just ruined grass in the lawn .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Don;t the moles use the gopher holes? Is that how it goes? Whichever one makes the mounds, I have them. About 5 years ago i had them real bad in my perennial bed on the South side of my house. I used some of Gardens Alive stuff, broadcast it all over my perennials. The next day I looked out and the North side of the house looked like a mine field, but the perennial bed hasn't had any since. So, nothing killed them, just didn't like the smell or something of the Caster Oil I think it was the main ingredient of the Gardens Alive stuff. I am going to have to see what it was. Kinda like rabbit pellets soaked in the oil. I guess. 98% I think Caster oil. Would have to look. Now I have a few left on the North side.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Two things made me even happier when we moved from Southern California to the Missouri Ozarks. (1) No tumbleweeds. (2) No gophers.

Turns out, gophers won't live where the soil is composed of more than 50% or so rocks, and we've certainly got rocks here. My garden is plagued with lots of moles, but at least they're eating worms and grubs and not the garden plants themselves as gophers do.

In California I remember looking out our bedroom window one morning and watching a beautiful 2' tall young tomato plant start shaking and then being pulled down into a gopher hole - the whole plant! I'm real glad to get away from those little rodents.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, my sister lost 4 tomato plants last week and 6 broccolis. I thought I had gophers too, but whatever they were, this stuff worked. As far as I know, I haven't had any since. But, my tomatoes are in buckets. I remember standing in my flowers looking around and felt something moving by my foot, Looked down and watched a big Rudbeckia swoop down into the ground. 5 big blossoms on it. And I was standing right next to it.

This is Mole-Relief Dry Mole Repellent from Gardens Alive.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Getting ready for the 2-year checkup after the kidney transplant. It is doing well, but I'm still trying to recover strength and stamina after almost 7 years of dialysis. There is lots of extra toll on the body. I have to till my 25' x' 50' current garden in phases. Takes me about three tries (about 8 feet wide at a time) to till the whole thing. About 45 minutes working and an hour-and-a-half resting. I will still have to get help to rake up the rows when it is that time.

Anyway, I hope to do more gardening this year than last year!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That's okay. You're doing great! Is your transplanted kidney your only functional kidney or is there function in the remaining kidney? What level of function is your new kidney at? Are you completely off dialysis since your transplant? It must be amazing to not be going through the electrolyte swings after seven years of dialysis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.