Home Depot

(Zone 6a)

I was at Home Depot the other day and I noticed that they have a big selection of houseplants. They were labeled "tropical plant" so it is hard to know what HD is selling, but everything looked nice. Does anybody have any experience with Home Depot's indoor plants? Thanks.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We buy them, mis-treat them, and then throw them away. The care instructions are not great (if they exist at all) but if you manage to keep a plant alive and healthy through the first month, it'll probably do ok. They are not cared for well at HD, so it's almost a mission of mercy to buy them, except that they get worse care at my house.

Especially in winters like this one, their "tropical plants" are totally tempting! :)

(Zone 6a)

I was thinking that was the case. I noticed that some of the plants were infected with mealybugs. There was a variegated plant/shrub that was very tempting. There wasn't a plant label so I don't have a clue what it is but I I might have to make another trip back to buy it :)

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

I have ourchased many houseplants AND outside plants, and
have had success with some.

Many are plants that have thrived and been
alive for many years.

They carry big specimens and the price is right.

I have found unusual things purely by chance because
I went there at the right time

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

If you don't know which plant you are buying, you can choose something that you just know don't know about caring for, unfortunately. It is a buyer-beware situation. Growers know how to get them to the store looking pretty good, but then the store care (or not) and the individual plant's needs take over. In general though, most of what they carry will be easy care and easily replaced.
I recently bought a plant I knew to have a fussy reputation. It looked great for a while but then pffft. I don't blame the store. I was forewarned.

Buy what you like and then post in ID forum, or here, for ID.

toms river, NJ

I have found HD better than both Lowes and especially Walmart.
If you get to Walmart within two days after delivery of new stock its ok - after that forget about it - nobody takes care of the plants.
At all three stores I have sometimes found great plants. At times found items that are sold by Logees at a much greater price. As has already been mentioned you can usually identify by posting picture on DG.
Got the Aglaonema from HD about 2 years ago.

Thumbnail by dggardenerguy
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

nice Ag. I recently got a pink one from one of the clearance racks- but can't say which.
YMMV store to store as well.
Gitagal, a user here, is an HD employee who gives excellent advice to her customers. But it's a rare treat to find a plant worker in a big box who actually knows something about plants.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

My local HD's houseplant sections sucks. It's inside under the ceiling lights. No where near enough light. The local Lowes is FAR better, they're in a greenhouse with much more light.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm glad there's HD AND Lowes.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have found many nice plants at big box stores. Sometimes even something a little less common mixed in with the rest. But, assume your new plant is covered in some kind of bug and keep it isolated for a while when you bring it home. Azamax does the trick for me. Gene

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I got a bunch of off-price Amaryllis this winter at Home Depot. OK, they were too late for Christmas or even Valentines Day, but they were wonderful this record-breaking winter!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.