Please help ID these cactus

Hamilton, OH

I just Love Cactus growing outside in the snow in Zone 6B, I would love to find these, Purchase or trade Tropicals for them. you can contact me through dmail
Thanks in Advance

Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49
Americus, GA

It is cylindropuntua, something. I believe it to be Imbricata. Or the tree cholla. I don't suppose you have a picture of it in flower?

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

It may be the dwarf version. Still blooms purple but stays less than 3 feet tall.

I'm confused, though. Are you looking for these cactus? Or are you trying to ID these cactus?

I live in zone 6 and do have a couple of cholla including C. imbricata (the dwarf version).

A great place to find cold hardy cactus is a website called coldhardycactus.com.

Daisy

Americus, GA

I Must also say that those are cool pictures but those may be my least favorite cacti if I need to move them. Heavy duty leather gloves or not those suckers bite deep and don't pull out easily lol.
-will

Americus, GA

You know, I had not even considered the dwarf version, which it may very well be

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Will,

If you get those stuck in your gloves, they are a permanent part of your gloves or your gloves are new decoration for your cactus. 8')

Cholla (Cylindropuntua) have spines similar to fish hook barbs - they only go one way.

Daisy

Decatur, GA

Cholla skeletons are very decorative and I would love to grow them for that reason. Has anyone else tried?

This message was edited Mar 10, 2015 4:53 PM

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Cholla skeletons are what's left after your cholla dies. I think to get the big heavy ones that you see in photos, you have to grow the big heavy woody cholla. My little ones have a papery skeleton that looks like every other dead cactus.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

It takes some time for the woody structure to form. Chollas (like many other Opuntias) are woody plants only after the pads have been there a few to many years. I would think that growing one in a pot would delay that process even more. Not worth it (here anyway, where there are wild ones to be found not far away).

Hamilton, OH

Thank you everyone for all your answers, I am looking for these, that's why I posted the Pic
it so hard to describe a plant without seeing it, if anyone knows where I can find these Please let me know

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I'll be happy to send you a couple pieces of the dwarf C. imbricata. I have one in a pot that is going into the ground in a couple weeks. It will fall apart (they always do).

Daisy

Americus, GA

And talking about the spines becoming a permanent fixture. Yes it was quite hard to remove the spine while holding up the cactus with my right. I ended up pulling the cutting out anyway. I swear all of the spines except that one was happy to pull out

Hamilton, OH

Daisy
I will give you postage, I am sending you my addy, via Dmail, is there any plants you need, I am d mailing you right now

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.