2015 Grow-Along Challenge: Squash Wars - Roll Call!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

About a month till Direct Sowing!!! YAYYY!!!!

How bout some fried green tomatoes until then....HAHA

Thumbnail by badcat
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're funny, badcat.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Home depot has miracle gro, 1 cubit foot bags of garden soil on sale. 3 bags for $10.00. I just went and got 15 bags of it.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Wish we had one closer, I need some potting soil in the worst way. I had stockpiled several of the 3 cu ft bags when Walmart had them for $5 at the end of season a few years ago. But I used it all last year and nobody had it on sale.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, LK. Going to Home Depot on Monday! :)

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

I will be growing

1/ tatume aka tatuma

2. yellow straightneck su;;er squash

Becky

Ocean Springs, MS

Our weather is warm this week, but it's supposed to rain every day. So, i'll be working in my sunroom starting seeds. Also draining the hot tub and getting it ready for warm weather!

Bajablue, I have lots of tatume seeds if you need some! :)

thanks froggie, I had just ordered some before I saw
this thread... simply because I love cooking & eating
them ! :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Speaking of cooking and eating....what's your favorite squash recipes??

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Yellow-Squash-Casserole/

Really, I just like to slice them and steam them, then add a little pepper. Super simple.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Be sure to sign up for this fun challenge!

If you're wondering about the prizes, we are happy to announce that we have a dozen $25 gift certificates from several highly rated seed vendors to give away on October 1. More details coming soon!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That's really similar to my squash casserole, but I use a white sauce instead of eggs. But yours sounds delish too!

Yes, We have a number of great vendors who have agreed to join in the fun with some gift certificates, so this should be a great growing challenge...it's never too late to jump in!

Ocean Springs, MS

I like mine raw, fresh off the vine when they are small (summer squash), or steamed like Carole wrote.

My parents never grew or cooked winter squash when I was young. Of course, I love pumpkin, but I'd like to try some recipes for winter squash. I'm growing Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Ballet' and 'Strawberry Crown'. Any ideas?

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, Carole. BTW, coming to TN April 3-6. Maybe we can find a few minutes to get together for coffee!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hope so. :)

Ocean Springs, MS

I added this one to my list to finalize my 5 choices.
Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin 'Black Forest'
Cucurbita maxima

Thanks, Julie

West Jordan, UT

For some reason I can't reply to most posts, what is going on? It keeps saying I'm logged in but when I click post reply it does nothing. I've tried multiple browsers and same result. For some reason this reply worked, but almost every other says login, register... on the bottom and post reply does nothing.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

What browsers are you using? We'll see if we an help you figure it out.

Marietta, GA

Looking for seed for Ambercup winter squash. Any ideas where to get them.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If you don't find any, I'll send you some of the Honey Nut or Sweet Reba. (I did find a couple of sources, but the companies were 'iffy' in the GWD)

Marietta, GA

melody,
thank you for answering. I want the Ambercup because of an article I found on the internet when I goggled "best tasting squash" to determine what kind I wanted to try. I have not decided whether to join your challenge because I only have just one package of plain Jane summer squash seed. You may be interested in the article. www.chefheidifink.com/blog/seasonal/the-winter-squash-taste-off/
Unfortunately the location of this blog is British Columbia and the sources she gave to obtain the veggie are in BC.

Lily

Try this link...

http://www.reimerseeds.com/ambercup-squash.aspx

So sorry, after I posted this link, I went back and saw they are out of stock.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2015 10:08 AM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Stokes seed has a similar squash...but check both of these companies in the GWD.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Post a reply, send. You may be getting kicked offline by updating programs...

Marietta, GA

Taters and Melody,

I have seen what are being called improved versions of Ambercup, one called Ambermax at Reimer seeds. I hate to order just one package of seed though, the shipping is usually way out of line with the cost of the seeds. I may just look for some summer squash seed at our local "high end" nursery, Pikes, and join your challenge with whatever I find there.

Lily

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Any squash will be fine with us! Let me know if you want me to send you some seeds of the winter squash...I still have a few available.

Quincy, FL(Zone 8b)

I am beginner gardener and squash comes to me just before it passes on to the afterlife via mildew. However, I am trying again this year with Seminole Pumpkin (C. moschata, http://www.rareseeds.com/seminole-pumpkin/), which apparently grows wild in the Everglades. I figure that if it can grow there and not be full of mildew, I can grow it in the Tallahassee area too :)

Good luck everyone!

Marietta, GA

Still have not found Ambercup. Twilleyseed.com had Ambercup hybird which I don't trust to be what I am looking for.

Ordered Delicata Sugarloaf, Guatemalan Blue Banana and Oregon Homestead Sweetmeat from one vendor who offered 25 seeds for $2.75 in that assortment. The vendor is Redwood Organic Seeds. Did not check - hope they are reliable.

Lily

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Reimer Seeds had them unless they are sold out. http://www.reimerseeds.com/winter-squash_747.aspx

The company seems to be getting mixed reviews this year though.

That link says they are sold out, and it has been discontinued and replaced by Ambermax squash.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, there you go.

Wilton, CA

Hi everyone, I am new to this website and though I have grown lots of different plants and a few veggies here and there, this year I am taking the plunge and doing a 'real' garden. I raise fiber animals for their wool (alpacas, sheep and goats) so have an almost unlimited supply or "organic matter" to use, so I thought having a garden would be a good way to 'recycle feed'. I'm also starting two hives of bees this spring.

So I am very happy to have this site as a reference. I've been reading some of your threads and am soaking up your experience like a dry sponge. I would love to participate in the Squash Wars...sounds like fun. I might be an epic failure, but oh well, gotta start somewhere right?!

My trial squash will be:
1. Boston Marrow Winter Organic
2. Waltham Butternut Organic
3. Early Summer Crookneck Organic
4. Cha Cha Kabocha Organic
5. Spaghetti Organic

This is my first try at any organic seeds, so here goes! Thanks for being here and letting me learn from y'all. Renee

This message was edited Mar 15, 2015 3:36 AM

Hi Renee, welcome to DG !!

If you like what you see , I encourage you
to lay down $ 20, and become a full-fledged Daves Garden member. You will be glad you did, its worth every penny.

As for my entries, I will grow two.

1. Tatuma

2. Amberpic

Waco, KY(Zone 6a)

Ok, so I think I've decided on my varieties.

Candyroaster (maxima)- Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center
Mammoth King (maxima)- Sandhill Preservation Center
Tennessee Sweet Potato (mixta)-Sandhill
Preservation Center
Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato (pepo)-Sandhill Preservation Center
Upper Ground Sweet Potato (moschata)-Sandhill Preservation Center

I have grown Tennessee Sweet Potato and Upper Ground Sweet Potato the past couple years, though. Can I still enter them in the challenge? I know it said something in the first post about them preferring the varieties to be new to you.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, you can grow any squash you like, we do hope that everyone will stretch bit and experiment with at least one new variety, but it won't disqualify you if you don't.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

This sounds fun. I will grow:
1. Lemon Summer Squash
2. Speedy Silver Hybrid summer squash
3. Gelber Englischer Custard summer squash and new to me
4. Amazonka winter squash and new to me
5. Bush Delicata....my own saved seed for many years now. Don't know if this will count.

Grand Portage, MN(Zone 4a)

I will be growing my Acorn Squash. It is my absolute favorite.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Burpee's Cosmos Hybrid Summer Squash, grown on a "rain gutter" system - I'll be planting it out here in San Diego this weekend (3/21).

Ocean Springs, MS

All of my varieties have sprouted! It was 80 degrees here yesterday! I'll be planting out next week!

Melody, I've taken pictures of the seedlings. Should I go ahead and post them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.