Needs a name

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I have had this plant for several years and always assumed it was an Adenium. Its never bloomed although it lives with an Adenium that blooms every year.

It suddenly occurred to me the other day that maybe its actually a Pachypodium of some sort. It lives in a very sunny top shelf of my greenhouse.

Any thoughts?

Daisy

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Looks like Pachypodium saundersii to me. A pretty strict summer grower?

This message was edited Feb 11, 2015 7:40 PM

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I guess my confusion is that after 10 years, it hasn't really formed a caudex

Looks like one to me. You have a nice plant. What's the shade in there, about 50% maybe? I think these plants grow more squat when they are in direct sun. Also some people prune the early shoots so that the stem is forced to grow sideways from the beginning rather than shooting up.

My plant flowered for the first time this past year. It's not very exciting compared to your average Adenium.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

My California greenhouse was under trees - great for my orchids, not so much for the cactus. My new greenhouse in Reno has no shade. I put up shade cloth last summer because the orchids were frying.

I have now re-arranged so, hopefully, I can put shade cloth on the orchids but not the cactus.

Sounds like a plan. That plant (and your Adenium) should be able to take all the sun you can give it. The Adenium will also grow more compact that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.