Need advice about planting succulents and stonecrop

Morgantown, WV

I have decided to try growing succulents and stonecrop in my containers on my rail that up to now I have grown annuals. Problem I have is all my plants end up in trouble in the middle of summer. I forget to water and things just die by mid summer. Plus I then have empty pots all winter. So I thought these kind of plants may be perfect. My concern is how well they will do in winter being up in the air. I would like to make up the best dirt for them. Any advise would be appreciated.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

According to the USDA, you live in agricultural zone 6a (winter temps to -10 degrees). Does that sound right?

I live in zone 6a and I have several types of stonecrops and succulents that do fine in my yard. BUT... there is a big difference between growing a plant in a pot and growing a plant in the ground.

The reality is that your plants would have to be willing to be frozen solid for a few months at a time - there are succulents and stonecrops out there that can take that abuse.

The biggest problem plants in cold areas have is that they get too dehydrated and cannot recover. That means make sure your plants are well watered before the deep freeze starts. Cold sucks the moisture right out of plants - the colder it is the more moisture they require. Succulents will take more drying out then other plants, though. My stonecrop looked pretty dead day before yesterday. Today they look alive; plump and happy - It rained last night.

My suggestion would be to find plants that will survive freezing solid for months at a time. Make sure the containers drain well and use potting soil with a lot of grit in it.

In the summer, stonedrops and succulents are a cinch. Water once or twice a week and they will be happy.

Good luck!

Daisy

Morgantown, WV

All my plants will be ok for my area 6a. My concern is making up the dirt right.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

In pots, I use a commercial cactus and palm potting soil with added perlite. The ratio of perlite to potting soil is a wild guess but the more perlite, the faster draining the potting soil will be.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Dottie-
Another choice of potting soil would be Pro-Mix HP. The brand is Pro-Mix,HP stands for high porosity, which means it drains fast like Daisy recommends. The perlite is already in there. I got a "bale" of this compressed potting soil (marketed to growers not to the public so it does not come in small bags) for 45$. It works well for most of my plant pots, and in the long run I think is cheaper than buying a bunch of bags of potting soil. It is not found at most big box stores or nurseries, but you can find it somewhere locally I am sure. I found it at a local "Indoor Gardening" store, which I think caters to the crowd growing marijuana! I snuck in and paid cash for it, but I might be on some surveillance list now!
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Morgantown, WV

Hi everyone today I remembered a place I saw but never went in. Today I went it is a hydrophonics store. I had been growing seeds indoors for years. This place actually spoke my language. Even though I know I could spend a fortune in there i now know a place that will be able to help me. I still like this site though and all the friendly people willing to share and talk.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Cactus/succulents and Hydroponics are not words normally used in the same sentence but you can still visit us anytime.

There is a Discussion Forum dealing with all things hydroponic.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hydropon/all/

Morgantown, WV

i seem to do a little bit of everything in gardening. Many of the things I keep hearing about that is good for earthboxes is found there. I have like 20 earthboxes tons of planters. I have grow lights and have learned the moor table of root development. Learned a lot from Al. But I still have so much to learn.

Morgantown, WV

Here are some pictures of what I did with my containers.

Thumbnail by 1234dottie Thumbnail by 1234dottie Thumbnail by 1234dottie Thumbnail by 1234dottie Thumbnail by 1234dottie
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I like these. I also like your window boxes.
Martha

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

In a month or so they will be so lush!
Now I have to go find out what a moor table is...

Morgantown, WV

Thanks I've been doing so much around here. Still working on my bank asking for help now It is harder than you think working on steep bank. I will be so happy when I see my last plant in the ground. I am looking forward to seeing these plants flower for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.