4 sure signs of spring

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, Blue-eyed grass is apparently native to the eastern US. Likes well drained soil, and does not want to dry out in summer. There are a lot of common garden plants like that, that I find difficult here. Some actually want more cold in the winter than we get. I don't water much in summer, and it rarely rains, then it is soggy for 8 months. Last year I planted a Yellow-eyed grass, and it made it through the winter.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I love the idea of using the neighborhood kid for the camera duties. His young eyes probably focus a little better than mine!
I like your e colchicum - nothing wrong with a nice bright yellow! But I still love the distinct orange of warleyense. Mine are just send up buds - maybe in bloom next week.
I've got a couple hybrid erythroniums from collector's nursey (Diana Reeck) - she hybridizes them. Mine are a couple years old, but didn't bloom last year. This year, they're coming up again and I can see tiny buds on them, so I'm eager to see them bloom. I had Pagoda in the past, but it mysteriously vanished. Not sure if it wasn't happy with my care or some varmint got to it.
I also have a couple interesting corydalises just coming into bloom. They're from Odyssey Bulbs, which has a great collection of unusual bulbs. I saw the first bloom open last night when I got home from work, but it was dusk, so the picture is fuzzy at best. I snuck out this morning just after dawn and got a better picture, but alas will have to wait until I'm home from work to show it off. I hope it comes out, because it's definitely the most unusual corydalis I've grown.

My 'Pagoda' disappeared as well as 'Pink Perfection' and 'Rose Queen', all from Heronswood. I think they came up for two years and then nothing. I don't think they were happy here. If I remember correctly, they need certain microbes/mycorrhizae in the soil. (?)
weerobin - I'm interested in which Corydalis you grow down there. I gave up on the blue ones (my favorites) or I should say they gave up on me.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I also gave up on the blue ones many years ago. Corydalis solida cultivars do fine here(George Baker, Beth Evans, Dieter Schacht are 3 solida cultivars, but frankly they're quite similar to each other). Also corydalis ochroleuca and c malkensis reliably return. More recently I've been experimenting with more unusual ones - so far, c bulbosa and c solida transylvanica have reliably returned for several years in a row now. Last year, I planted some even more exotic corydalis from Odyssey Bulbs - I'd never heard of most of them. Several have come up this spring, but I don't yet know if they'll thrive/prosper. Time will tell.

I have C. lutea and ochroleuca that I let self-sow - more of the former than the latter. Have 'Berry Exciting' that I got a couple of years ago from Munchkin and it's somehow moved up against the dry foundation of my house. I must have accidentally dug up the roots at some point, maybe when it was dormant. It's already pushing up new leaves so I might have to move it where it can get some rain. 'Blue Panda' and 'China Blue' (from Forest Farm and Digging Dog) are the blues that I lost.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have always meant to try Berry Exciting - the foliage/flower combo sounds interesting. Is it a nice plant? I've avoided c lutea, thought might be too weedy.
Here are my weird corydalises - I'm home from work, so I can post pix.
#1 is corydalis bulbosa. 3-yr old plant - seems to be thriving.
The rest of these are all new from last fall - handled winter fine. We'll see about humid St Louis summer.
#2 is c. ruksansii
#3 is c. nudicaulis
#4 is c. wendelboi ssp congesta
#5 is the one that sent me out in the dark last night & early dawn this morning to get a proper photo, c. shanginii ssp ainae.
That last one is a hoot! Hope it's tough & durable. We'll see.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And of course you can't forget the very beautiful jeffersonia dubia.
Looking splendid today.
For some reason, our native jeffersonias are still in bud - not quite open yet.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Love those Jeffersonia. I bought a couple white ones from Lazy SS last year and they came in with some chlorosis. I planted them but I'm wondering if they will come up or not. I hope they do. Do they bloom with Hepatica or after?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Same time as hepatica for me.

Weerobin - love #1 and #5 (which is crazy!). Came home to a couple of Hepatica flowers and Jeffersonia buds. They weren't there when I left for the weekend on Friday. Warmer than forecasted temps while I was gone and no rain. Getting a little dry here. Almost feels like some blooming things have been forced with the warmer weather. Makes for a beautiful day though.

Woo-hoo. Hepatica, bloodroot, Jeffersonia, forsythia, anemone, daffodils, mukdenia, hyacinth, scilla and other assorted small bulbs - all in flower. The scilla and squill have formed some wide patches, spilling into the lawn and looking gorgeous.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Congratulations, Cindy. At long last...

Alas, I was out of town last weekend.
While I was gone, some varmint devoured my weird yellow-flowered corydalis.
I hope it recovers, but presently there's no sign of where it was whatsoever...

Here's a sampling of some others blooming this weekend:
#1 Bluets (houstonia caerulea)
#2 A hybrid erythronium from Collector's nursery.
#3 Corydalis angustifolia Talish Dawn.
#4 is a strange variety of scilla, Scilla hohenackeri. A little taller w/ pendant flowers.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

#1 Chaerophyllum hirsutum Roseum is just starting to bloom.
#2 A diminutive trillium, T pusillum.
#3 A double white Anemonella thalictroides.
#4 A red hybrid tulip, Lady Guna.

One of my prized early spring bloomers (my double bloodroot) hasn't made it's appearance yet. I'm alarmed something happened to it. It was 10 yrs old and had enlarged to a clump at least 15inches across. I can't imagine what happened to it. Anyway, it's way late for it to come up and I suspect it's a goner... very sad!

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

lovely.
Sorry about the losses. My regular Bloodroot has been up for a while, and we seem to be on similar schedules for emergence.

Oh no - double bloodroot gone? Maybe it will pop up somewhere else? or will it lose the double gene? My species bloodroot pops up all over the place. Same with Canadian ginger. Not quite sure how that happens since I do very little cultivation in that area. Must be the ants. I always had Houstonia on my want list and your blue scilla is quite charming!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.