which Echinopsis?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Got these unnamed… thought they were E terscheckiis… but now wondering if they could be pacasanas.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

There's more than one kind in your photo. Are you asking about the two tall ones in front? I believe they are not the same species. If I had to guess, I would say the spinier one is a Trichocereus.

Beautiful cactus garden, from what I can see.

Daisy

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Trichocereus is Echinopsis now. I was told they were the same in the past, though their spination is a bit more intense in one than the other. I have no clue what the one in the back is... no one has been able to key that one out.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Show us more of the plant in the back - now I'm curious. I will continue to think about the other two. Still going with different species though.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think the one on the left is E. terscheckii looks just like mine looks from approximately the same distance. Any chance of a close-up of the spines?

How about E. chiloensis for the one on the right? I only have small ones of that one, but the spinage sort of matches again from a distance.

I have been trying to get my hands on a pacasana for ages, not been successful. I have one plant that came unlabeled, that I am keeping my fingers crossed could be a candidate, also looks like the plant on the right, but it has slightly different spinage compared to the chiloensis, which you need a closeup for to distinguish.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here are some close ups

Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi palmbob,

I think based on the close-ups that the 1st plant is E. terscheckii, see the attached picture, which was a positively ID'd E. terscheckii when I got it.

I can see why people would say those Cacti are the same - spinage looks close in some ways to the other plant, but to me they look different. 2nd plant has too many ribs for its size, and I think the spines are different enough.
I do not have a positive ID for the 2nd plant. From the close-ups it looks even more similar to my unknown E. specimen that I was hoping might be E. pasacana, but I simply do not know for sure and my plant is a lot smaller - and sorry I have no good picture to post at the moment. Will try to change that at some point.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.