purple prickly pear

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

I was able to get a purple prickly pear cactus start when visiting California last year. When I got it off the main plant it was a lovely rich purple color. It is currently potted in good soil and has developed good roots, looks healthy, but is just plain green. I'm wondering if it lost the color because something is missing in the soil, or if it isn't happy with the lower light its getting in the house (since we still have freezes this time of year), or if maybe the pH of the soil is wrong, or???? Anyone else ever have this happen?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

The purple prickly pear's get 'purpler' when they are cold stressed. Like when they experience temperatures between 32F to 45F or 50F. If yours is not exposed to these temps, that could very well be the reason. Do you have a photo per chance?

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the reply, Xenomorf. I don't have a picture. I had not thought about the temperature having an affect. So if I put it outside in the winter (only when I know it will not freeze) the purple color will come back then? Will it stay purple, do you think?
I have another prickly pear that came from down around San Antonio and it is not bothered by freezes and it doesn't turn purple (unfortunately). But it does grow really fast! It's strange how different they are even though they look alike.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it's a good chance that it will. But once the seasons change it will probably turn less purple. Also, there are different variations of the purple prickly pear, some are more greener and some are more purpler. And you are probably talking about Opuntia gosseliniana which is extremely common and often misidentified as Opuntia santa-rita.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Okay. I will look those up and try to learn the difference (so those sneaky pricklies won't fool me) : ) Thank you again for your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.