What Tomatoes Will You Grow This Year

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

What tomatoes will you being growing this year. I started tomato seeds today. I want large plants to put outside, especially in the hydroponics setup.

My yearly tomatoes are:

Mr. Stripey
Golden Queen
Black Prince
Sweet 100

New to try, please comment your likes or dislikes if you have grown these.

Giant Belgium
Red Flame
Oval large yellow cherry (from China, I do not know the name)
Karol Sibir
San Marzano
Azoychka (yellow beefsteak type)
Large red cherry bush
Black Cherry
Spoon
Czech Bush
Mexican Giant Beefsteak
Negro Azteca
Behemoth King
Hawaiian Pineapple

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

As of Jan. 4th I've started seeds of Indian Stripe ,Homestead, Piriform, Estiva, and Blush. I also have a couple of volunteers of Coyote potted up. This is the first year that I won't be growing Sun Gold, only because of space considerations. It's an excellent variety. I'm trying out Blush instead. I've grown Azoychka and Black Cherry in previous years and I would rate Azoychka as just O.K. Black Cherry lacked the full flavor of most black tomatoes, so I've not grown it since

This message was edited Feb 3, 2015 2:41 PM

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

This years tomatoes:

Blue Beauty
Big Beef

A red cherry tomato that im not sure of the name of, it came from a store, this year they would be coming from seed of some volunteer seedlings from 2014, where mom had thrown a spoiled tomato into my compost bin, and they did so well i kept the seed from them for this year.

Pink Oxheard
and a variety i recieved in a trade called Old Kentucky

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I had to look up Blue Beauty. It looks like Indigo Rose, just much larger. I grew Indigo Rose last year.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

its supposed to be a globe or larger sized tomato.

Got them from Baker Creek seed company

Marietta, GA

Will start tomato seeds on February 20 to give a six week head start for moving outdoors on April 3.

Seeds on hand that I've grown or attempted before:
Brandywine Pink
Brandywine Red
Roma VF

To be grown for the first item:
Brandywine Black (got as a bonus - have never grown)
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Beefsteak

Would still love to have a few Kellogg's Breakfast seeds but don't want to pay for shipping on just one packet. Will gladly send a SASE to anyone who has a few extras or trade for extra seeds I have. Compared to you youngsters, full of energy and vigor to work many tomato plants, our few tomatoes don't seem like much, but they will more than satisfy us, and we will have plenty to share. Many of our tomatoes will be grown on our deck in self-watering containers. I'll try to post a picture of our deck. Looks like I've succeeded. This was early in the season a few years ago. The tomato plants are still small in the image, but they grew very large and produced abundantly with no weeding and minimal trouble after the initial set-up.

For any of you who may remember, several years ago I wrote about four of our homemade boxes, larger that the ones shown (they held two tomato plants each) being stolen by a teenage neighbor and subsequently found abandoned and largely ruined when he and his friends realized that they could not grow "pot" without a water source for the boxes; I am sorry to tell you that he died of a drug overdose last year. That is not the outcome we would have wished for him and his family, regardless the loss of the planters.

Thumbnail by lilygardner
Marietta, GA

Well, I just could not leave well enough alone. Since I last posted I've been back to WalMart and purchased seed for
Beefmaster
Big Boy, and
Better Boy,
hybrids I've grown in the past and love. I also expect to receive from other DGers,
Kellogg's Breakfast,
Cowlick Brandywine,
Mortgage Lifter, and
Sweet Ozark Orange.
I will need add three more containers on the new part of the deck and move some others around to fit all in.

I could not wait until the 20th to start my tomato seeds. Planted some of each that I had on hand on the 13th, and this morning there were two little seedlings peeking out of the starting mix, only four days later.

I'm not sure it's healthy to get this excited about tomatoes.

Lily

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

I am obsessively dreaming of fresh homegrown ripe juicy heirloom tomatoes !

I will probably start them by this weekend, so they can be put out as soon as it is safe.

I want odd shaped, odd colored ones, not too big so that the fruit wont be
too heavy while still on the vine.

I also hope to try some of the dwarf varieties which have been recently ibtroduced.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Sweet Ozark Orange
Sungold F1
Big Brandy F1
Genuwine F1
Rutgers

Indoor seed-sowing day here will be March 15 with tomato and pepper seedlings going in the ground during the first week of May, as weather allows.

Marietta, GA

Well, I started out growing 6 tomatoes this year; a reasonable number: I now have 18 cultivars in the starter. To the varieties I named above, thanks to two DG'ers and WalMart, please add:

Big Boy
Better Boy
Beefmaster
Brandywine Cowlick
Kellogg's Breakfast
Black from Tula
Brandywine Yellow Platfoot Strain
Brandywine Cherry
Nieves Azorean Red
Chocolate Stripes
Sweet Ozark Orange

I am really excited to have all these and look forward to a tasty summer.

Lily

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I tried Super Sweet 100 my second season growing tomatoes and the yield is huge!
Third season I grabbed them off the shelf in the store and only read the label carefully on the first one, the others were Sweet 100 not super and their production was probably 1/4 of the Super Sweet 100. These work well for me and I have plenty to give to friends also.

Had a hard time finding them this year so I did plant some Huskies and I think Better Boy, before finding the SS 100 plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.