Tomatoes & Peppers: What Tomatoes Will You Grow This Year, 1 by lilygardner

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lilygardner

In reply to: What Tomatoes Will You Grow This Year

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What Tomatoes Will You Grow This Year
lilygardner wrote:
Will start tomato seeds on February 20 to give a six week head start for moving outdoors on April 3.

Seeds on hand that I've grown or attempted before:
Brandywine Pink
Brandywine Red
Roma VF

To be grown for the first item:
Brandywine Black (got as a bonus - have never grown)
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Beefsteak

Would still love to have a few Kellogg's Breakfast seeds but don't want to pay for shipping on just one packet. Will gladly send a SASE to anyone who has a few extras or trade for extra seeds I have. Compared to you youngsters, full of energy and vigor to work many tomato plants, our few tomatoes don't seem like much, but they will more than satisfy us, and we will have plenty to share. Many of our tomatoes will be grown on our deck in self-watering containers. I'll try to post a picture of our deck. Looks like I've succeeded. This was early in the season a few years ago. The tomato plants are still small in the image, but they grew very large and produced abundantly with no weeding and minimal trouble after the initial set-up.

For any of you who may remember, several years ago I wrote about four of our homemade boxes, larger that the ones shown (they held two tomato plants each) being stolen by a teenage neighbor and subsequently found abandoned and largely ruined when he and his friends realized that they could not grow "pot" without a water source for the boxes; I am sorry to tell you that he died of a drug overdose last year. That is not the outcome we would have wished for him and his family, regardless the loss of the planters.