February means hearts and flowers!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow!! Charlotte, I had no idea that Yall were getting that much snow. I had never heard about the cat litter. You just sprinkle it on the sidewalk? Do you do it before or after the ice is formed.

Today is my DGD, Breanna's, 18th birthday. Boy has those 18 years flown by and in April, Ashley will turn 18. Amazing!!!

Give Eli a big hug from Auntie Jeri. I know he will enjoy your visit.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You put the kitty litter on after the snow/ice has accumulated. You can also use it to help get a car unstuck. If you put it under the stuck wheels it gives traction.

It is amazing how these kids grow up!! My boys are all having birthdays next month. Jake will be 22 and Justin and Clint 19. Jake will graduate from college next Dec. I think he is probably going to end up going back to Europe and teach for a year or two in a paid position. He can get certified to teach in Europe while he is completing his degree. He is now works for a company that helps place kids in Europe. The same company that placed him in Hungary. It's a volunteer position but he gets a lot of inside information that will help him get a position where he wants to go. I've told him to go for it! This is the time of his life to do it. Same thing a lot of other people have told him. I don't think he wants to teach in the US but go into the technical writing field here. He did some practice teaching at a school where they teach English as a second language. He didn't like the kids!! He said they were unruly.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Good grief! It has snowed about 5inches here since it started (finally) at 2:15 this afternoon. It's now almost 5:30 and shows no sign of letting up. Weather guys said it would start earlier, but we had a pocket of warm dry air that kept it from coming in.

How are the rest of you neighbors doing? I'm sure you folks out in AR and MS got it too.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine you all got more than we did. It started here around 10 and quit over in the afternoon. I'm not sure how many inches we got - probably a couple. The snow today was really wet and stuck to the trees and bushes. It was really pretty. I'm sure the roads are icy tonight but during the day they were not bad. The snow didn't stick to the roads. I've been in all day except for running to the drug store to pick up some prescriptions around 10 this morning.

I'm so mad at myself. I'm secretary of our poa and I can't find the notes for the minutes! I saw the notebook they are in just recently and put it up for safe keeping!! I can't for the life of me figure out where that safe keeping place is!!! I know it's here.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

We are right at the break for the winter weather here, all we got was rain. Someone decided with all the rain that my yard was dry enough to do donuts. Look at the mess we're left with.

I hope Yall stay warm and safe, my friends!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It has been snowing here literally all day and is still coming down! Our church service is cancelled for tomorrow as are other churches in the area. The snow that we got about 2 weeks ago had finally all just about melted off and now here it comes again! Tonight we are supposed to get a wintry mix, including a thin layer of ice which is even worse. I'm so ready for spring but I suppose I shouldn't complain. The folks in the northeast are really suffering with literally more than 8 feet of snow that has fallen in the last few weeks.
Did ya'll hear about the guy in Boston who was selling snow? He will send you a bottle of it for 19.95 or you can get a cooler of it for 89.95. He has actually sold more than 150 0rders! LOL

Marilyn, sorry you are still getting the white stuff. The weather guys are saying we may get more on Wednesday. Not as much as last week, thankfully, but you never know what it will do to the roads. I can't believe people would pay for snow!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yall are really tired of all that white stuff but I know some people that pay for snow parties for their kids. Our church use to do it for Christmas Eve services. It's an oddity down here. LOL!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The white stuff has all gone here but it has rained all day and looks like we have rain in the forecast for most of next week. One day it could possibly be snow. But we don't have many more days of this to put up with! Spring is on the way!

Jeff and Kristi have really taken on a challenge. They are providing short term (one month) foster care for twin 3 year olds. Kristi is adopted so she is especially conscious of this kind of need and something she has wanted to do for a long time. Jeff is doing his part too. They are doing it through a program at their church. They will be good at it. Kristi works (has her own business) but works from home and her hours and the time of day she works is very flexible. Jeff has always shared child raising and is very good with kids and he also has very flexible hours and can work from home if he needs to.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Charlotte how exciting and exhausting at the same time!!! This will be truly rewarding!!! Are the twins, girls or boys?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Fraternal twins - a girl and boy. Jeff said the boy is really having problems with separation anxiety especially when they put him down to sleep or for a nap. They have been taken away from their mother and the grandmother had been trying to keep them but is having a difficult time. They are keeping them while the agency tries to help the grandmother with some issues. Jeff is not sure she's going to be able to handle it. They also have a 5 year old brother. Someone else has the older child. They are keeping them until the 20th of March. Justin and Clint will be home for spring break and they need to spend time with them. He said they are very slow developmentally. He said they are more at a 2 year old level. They can talk very little. Mainly just words. Can't put a whole sentence together. But he said they have actually really progressed since they have been taken from the mother. The older brother had a visit with them and was very surprised at how much better they were talking. He said he didn't think the mother spent anytime trying to talk to them.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That is so sad!!! Just breaks your heart to think they have been just left to lay there!!! Maybe now there is a chance for them. God bless Jeff & Kristi for opening their home and hearts to these little angels!!!

I certainly admire and send prayers for Jeff and Kristi as they care for these children. My heart goes out to these angels and their grandmother. It's amazing what a little love and attention can do for these kids.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I totally agree with what the rest of you have said re: Jeff and Kristi taking on those twins to foster, if only short term. It is so sad that so many children are in that situation nowadays. We just had a situation here in one of our nearby counties. The mother was in the hospital giving birth and blood tests showed she had meth in her system, which led to an investigation by child services. They discovered the other children (4 or 5 of them from age 8 on down) in the house with feces in their hair, smeared on their faces and bodies, etc. The dad was supposedly taking care of them but he was most likely high on drugs. All of the children were taken out of the home and put in foster homes.
The sheriff said it was the worst case of child neglect (abuse) that he had ever seen! So, so sad! Drugs are ruining our country!

Well, I will get off my soapbox and go start a new thread for March.

Here is the link for the new March thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1387741/

This message was edited Mar 2, 2015 10:37 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.