January 2015 weather. Winter is half over!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

January 2015 weather. Winter is half over!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I feel about half way there myself , weather must be the why ,, I knew there was something causing that ....
30/24 the forecast for the 1st day of the new year ,,
20 degrees with an 8 degree chill now ,,
A clear cold night , for fireworks , and guns ,,, and whatever else ,, Happy new Year !!! All ,,
it's noisy ,,,,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Wearing my heaviest fur lined winter coat now, but no snow boots yet.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

20º but some wind, also.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Look at this. 31F with a little bit of a windchill. (They are calling for a high of 58F.) 62F in the house. I'll turn the furnace on before too much longer.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 AM PST on January 01, 2015
Clear
31 °F
Clear
Windchill: 28 °F
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 20 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the NNW
Pressure: 30.10 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 7.90 out of 12

This is Lake Cachuma, the water source for at least part of Santa Barbara County. The flats in the center of the picture should be under water.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

Happy New Year- we are always last to arrive. I think I heard a firecracker that woke me up at 11.55pm. That was it. Wife's a night nurse and works New year so we treat it as just another day. We only have distant neighbors.

A chilly 58f this morning. Should be a quiet, grey, dry, cool day. Bracing for another day of thunderstorms on Friday pm. We got nothing from the last front that went through. minor flooding up the other end of the chain. These systems come in from Kauai and move down the island chain. By the time they get to us they can lose their punch.

They said our dew point got as low as 40 yesterday.

January is said to be our driest month.

Lava is still sluggish. Did not move yesterday. Plenty of small breakouts up slope draining the supply to the front.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently 32. Another few warm days then we'll be back down to teens and single digits.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy New Years to all my weather friends.

We've had three straight days of gray misting rain, or mizzling as Katrina calls it. Temps barely make it to 69°, even though weatherman keeps predicting higher. Looks like today is going to be about the same. 61° and foggy now.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Overcast & 17º.

Yesterday high of 32º

Chilly again last night but they are calling for a high of 56F. The yard is all frosted over.

Updated: 5:51 AM PST on January 02, 2015
Clear
34 °F
Clear
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 29 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.11 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pollen: 7.50 out of 12

I don't know what the pollen is. Oak maybe, they get started early.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

33 with a 28 chill ,
36 the high expected today
tonight wintery mix weather begins .
29 and rain ,, if it does ,, slush it is ..
I don't like cold weather ,, I really don't ...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

No real changes 48° rain, some heavier rain,

Thumbnail by kittriana

Winter mix coming in tonight also. Gonna be fun driving to work tomorrow.

Today we hit 37 but it didn't last long. Clouds moved in this afternoon and made it feel a lot colder.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

It's really cold here and has been drizzling for 2-3 days. Sunday night the low is supposed to be 22*. Our winter is usually in Jan and Feb. Oh boy.....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

35 degrees and steady rain at 5 am
rain today, tonight, tomorrow .

51 the forecast high ..
When temperatures drop , rain to snow and high winds are forecast . here it comes !

Sun is working its way back, so is the heat. High 82°partly sunny low mid 60's, today and tomorrow. Tourist will be pissed cuz they have to go back home and it is finally sunny again.☺

They're calling for a high of 61F. It will be sunny, of course

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on January 03, 2015
Clear
36 °F
Clear
Windchill: 33 °F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 33 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.23 in (Rising)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
Pollen: 7.80 out of 12

Another picture of Lake Cachuma in bad need of water

Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

The latest weather system hit us hard. Strong winds were the main feature. The cloud and rain with some thunderstorms came down from Kauai, across Oahu and Maui and stopped up against the Big Island mountains, never making over to our side. It stayed bone dry.

But boy did we get wind. Its was a moonlit night with winds gusting to 55 - 60 mph. Very nervous from 10pm to 2am with lots of banging and rattling in our metal roof. Lost a couple of sheets of plastic roof off front porch but otherwise no house damage. Summit of Mauna Kea had gust of 155 mph with possible blizzards

Went out as the sun rose and my potting greenhouse was wiped out by a fallen Ironwood tree. Metal frame all twisted. Out on the street the road was impassable with trees down. Cleared the road by 9am with a good chainsaw session with a neighbor. Power was out for a couple of hours during the night.

Today is warm, sunny, dry and breezy. We need some rain.

Got to go now and chainsaw the tree off the greenhouse and look for the 70 pots of Amaryllis bulbs.

Going to use the down tree trunks to reconstruct the potting greenhouse.

Just finished clearing up after Hurricane Iselle. This one did not even have a name. Getting good with the chainsaw. Keep smiling. (remember all this work is done in shorts and tee shirt and 75f.)

Today was a dreary day. Woke up to drizzle and now the drizzle is back. It will freeze overnight with snow coming in as soon as it gets below freezing.

High of 39 and currently 35. Wed, our low will be below zero and our high only a miserable 7. If I have snow I'm all for it!! LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Front is upon us. 32º at noon, now 12º
Strong NW wind, snow on the way.

Snow and wind. Forgot to mention strong winds on the way. lol

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Have heard many of the states are getting the Santa Ana winds with these fronts, Grandson in California was even impressed enuff to comment on them. Saw sunshine by days end, our 3days of rain fell slow and even and soaked in deep without much runoff.
52° a hi today. Lo expected 39° tonite

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt good that dry places are getting rain ,, not enough to too much , Can't have everything ,, I guess ,,

40 degrees this morning , temperature will fall steadily to 10 degrees during the next 18 to 20 hrs ,, 38 now and falling steadily .
Wind mostly in the 20's
light rain falling ,
When this past 2 to 3 days of rain freezes tonight , roads will be miserable
it's January ,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

39° this morning, expecting mostly sun, wind and a hi of 49°…I think Lilypons is watching us. Was verifying the weather I am looking at joining soon. The headlites on my truck should be so bright! Mn, The Dakotas, Neb, Ks, O My! Mayhaps since this is Jan, we will only have 6 more weeks of severe winter.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Not concerned about the weather because Downton Abbey premiers tonight!

Bummer about the damage, microb

They are calling for a high of 66 today but it will probably be more like 70F here. Sunday is a day that the neighbor blast the music so we'll be spending a lot of time indoors. Football playoffs are on and DH likes the Dallas Cowboys. My Steelers lost yesterday.

We could use some rain but as usual there is none in the forecast.

Updated: 5:51 AM PST on January 04, 2015
Clear
39 °F
Clear
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 36 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.28 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Pollen: 7.80 out of 12

royal terns at the beach yesterday

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have -3º this morning after all night howling wind & blizzard conditions.
Hardly any snow, so no drifts. Wind was so high that it made white-out over night.

Got a thick dusting on top of ice here. Currently 15 degrees out.

Truck doors froze shut this morning. Had to wait on the sun to thaw out driver's side. Passenger's side never saw sun so still won't open. Tomorrow I'm turning truck around so it thaws. lol

Mountain View, HI

Beautiful sunny morning, cloudy afternoon, no wind, no rain, never got above 70f. Just right for yard work.
Chainsaw died yesterday afternoon so has to go for service. Will have to hand saw tree off greenhouse if I want to make progress. or maybe I'll take a break for a couple of days.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Or rent a chainsaw if rental places have any left. Pepper- half vinegar, half water - cold Not hot to thaw ice. Potato juice on ground helps prevent ice from freezing since its zero point is WAY below 32°- but usually it takes being worked into existing ice with tires and traffic and then it just stays slush, i need to pick up more antigel for this diesel if I go north. Texas biodiesel isnt as rich as northern fuels and it will need treated. Full moon under cloudy skies overhead, 29° predicted tonite, light breeze in the pines.

I'll try that if I can't get into my truck again. If I can get in then I'm moving it so the passenger's side thaws.

I really need to finish my thoughts sometimes. lol.

My driver's side gets plenty of sun when I back into my spot but the passenger side doesn't get any so reorientation is sometimes required. lol

This message was edited Jan 4, 2015 9:26 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

4 degrees this morning 15 below the wind chill
18 the forecast high expected .

Winter Weather Advisory
Anticipating 4 to 6 inches of snow ..

They're calling for a high of 73F. I sure hope the neighbor doesn't blast the music today. I'm getting so tired of that. Yes, I have talked to him. No, it did no good. No, I have not called the police. DH doesn't want me to.

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on January 05, 2015
Clear
61 °F
Clear
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 20 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.24 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pollen: 9.00 out of 12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kelli ,, CCR I see the Bad Moon Rising , I see a bad time today ,,,

I know that seems or sounds wrong , but it is only your neighbor expressing spiritual or non-spiriitual aggravation ,, It is like the kids aggravating there parents ,, Remember , " Turn that down"
Difficult I know ,, to try meditating while doing ,, May help ,,, but were all use to speakers in our ears ,,, people things really drag on sometimes ,,
Sun is shining before the storm moving in here, a few hours away yet ,, 12 degrees brrrr ...

Reached 23 and mostly cloudy today.

Now I gotta hit Wally World. My oil light came on so I gotta get some so I can drive to work tomorrow. Otherwise my dad will have to let me drive his til mine gets oil in it. He didn't like that idea. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Winter storm happening here , below zero wind chills ,
Started out 3 inches of snow , then 5 inches ,,, then 7 inches , now forecasts are saying 8 or 9 inches of snow expected ,,
I suppose it does not really matter ,, Have to shovel it off anyway ! oh , winter fun !!!

Someplace between 8 and 13 degrees outside ,, about a 3 below wind chill ,,,
as usual ,, it's too cold ...

Mountain View, HI

Cool, cloudy, dry day with little or no wind. 55f this morning. Got up to about 70f max.
Need rain for the plants but like it dry for clean up.
Chainsaw in for service along with six chains for sharpening. Should be back in business by the end of the week.

Lava has stopped forward movement. Still breakouts up slope but no threat.
Someone has a theory that 13 miles is as far as it can go from its source as both recent flows stopped at about the same distance. I don't think I would stand in its path and trust that idea.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Weather liars forecast 6 to 9 inches here. We maybe got 2".
Glad they are wrong again.
-1º

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

10 degrees
chills are at zero .

8 inches of snow , still falling

wasn't this suppose to be in a garage ?

Thumbnail by juhur7

High 76°, low tonight 48° Sunny.

Gee Mike, sorry about the greenhouse.

Juhur ☺☺☺