Flowering Orbea

Pomona, CA

Flowering Orbea

Thumbnail by DennisO Thumbnail by DennisO
Pomona, CA

This is my first posting on the C & S forum. I have been a member for almost 10 years but was never involved in posting. My name is Dennis and I live in So. Cal., recently retired, I think it is time to get more involved. I also have a weekend home in Baja but haven’t been going there as much as I’d have liked in the last five years. Dealing with two elderly parents that wanted to stay in their homes until they got their membership for the beautiful garden in the sky takes a lot love, time and energy. I thought I’d post a picture of a nice looking Huernia that bloomed right after our last rain. It is Huernia halipedicola and has a very interesting giraffe type of pattern with very bright colors. I didn’t notice a smell but might have missed the worst of it before I noticed it had opened. Enjoy
Forgot to include the message!

Menasha, WI

It's always exciting when our plants bloom. Thanks for sharing. cll

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Gorgeous flower DennisO! Keep posting! Now that you are retired, maybe you will have a little more time (even with your parents!). P.S. You are a kind son!
I love Stapeliads but have such a hard time getting them to flower!

Perth, West Oz., Australia(Zone 10a)

Here is a pix of my lovely little Huernia, which flowered last season. Looking forward to more from my "Carrion" flowers in coming months.

Thumbnail by Drawling Thumbnail by Drawling
Pomona, CA

Nancy thanks for the warm welcome. Blooming might be a heat issue, where I am we average high 80's or low 90's in summer. A number have bloomed twice for me this year.

Drawling, beautiful flower, is that H. concinna?

Hi DennisO,
heads up buddy, I had this little fella wrongly ID'd as H. clavigera; you're right, it is concinna.
Clavigera has a rather hairy throat in the flower which I overlooked in the file pix I referred to.
Appreciated.
Here is my Orbea variegata.

Thumbnail by Drawling
Pomona, CA

Hi Drawling
My pleasure on the ID. It seems to me about 25% of what I have labeled in probably not correct. My first Orbea was the variegata, always reliable, flowers twice a year and has a nice large flower.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, DennisO, heat is a problem here for lots of plants. Day summer temps in the 100's plus and nights only go down to 90's! Ugh!

Desert Hot Springs, CA(Zone 3a)

Thought I would share a couple photos of my starfish blooming. Just taken today. Notice the seed pods. I understand this is rare for them to do that in a container. Must be 2 dozen blooms and buds.

Thumbnail by wivrrat Thumbnail by wivrrat
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, what a beautifully grown plant wivrrat! What is the sun exposure? Do you feed it? I see it is in a moss pot. Do you have to water often. I don't use them in Phoenix because, in summer, I'd have to water 3 times a day!!!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Yes, that is a nice looking plant. Especially with all the flowers.

A few days ago I noticed this Fockea (a not too distant relative) made a fruit. They have been flowering on and off since the summer but this is the first time anything has come of it. I'm excited to grow a few of these from seed.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Oops, the pictures.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I have orbea schweinfurthii which hugs the pot a little more

Decatur, GA

Baja, your seed pod just looks like more fun to me. I have my fingers crossed that it matures and produces seeds. I get lots of flowers on my Fockea sp. but no fruit/seed pods.

I was sorting out my pots yesterday, and as I lifted my Orbea and turned it I thought,
"You little devil"................................

Thumbnail by Drawling
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, amazing seed pods! It must be a happy plant.

Desert Hot Springs, CA(Zone 3a)

Just posted pictures of my seed pods opening. I have 100's of seeds. Now I don't know where they got posted. I'll repost here. Had 12 pods and have another small plant with 4 pods. Listed some on ebay, but no takers yet. Anyone that wants seeds, send me a stamped envelope and I'll send you some. Or we can trade.

Thumbnail by wivrrat Thumbnail by wivrrat Thumbnail by wivrrat Thumbnail by wivrrat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.