growing lucky bamboo in water

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I do well growing lucky bamboo in water but despite changing the water every now and then, at some point the plant rots. would it make any sense to add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide or Clorox or something else, to avoid or delay rotting? I will appreciate input from those who grow this plant. thanks

got lucky today and found these at Lowes for $1 ea.

Thumbnail by vossner
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I grow this plant. My original plant came from either Walmart or Lowes. I very rarely change the water, just add to it. Mine is anchored by small rocks as well. It has never rotted in the five years I've had it. It does get bright light from the south facing bathroom window. I've pruned it a few times.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

nice bathroom and nice plant. five years is a long time, do you apply any fertilizer?, it is the fullest looking lucky bamboo I've ever seen. good job!

I sent ahead and did a total cleanup. changed water, cleaned vase and stuck them in. I have a note in my journal so I can track dates. I guess mine are 2-3 years old at the most.

I learned by googling that you can grow other dracaena in water, like you do lucky bamboo. there are a couple of common ones out there, so I may try next time I find a bargain, as an experiment.

thanks for your input

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, vossner. I occasionally (very occasionally) add just a little organic fish fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.