Do houseplants put humidity in the air??

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

My house has an average humidity of 50% and I was told my houseplants are causing it. There are
53 plants in 4 different rooms. Two hibiscus are in 14" pots, some are in 1 gallon nursery pots, and the rest of the plants are in smaller pots. None of the plants are growing in water. So its not a jungle in here.

Any ideas on why the humidity is on the high end?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I doubt your plants are the main contributor to the humidity. Your daily activities and they way your house is sealed, insulated is probably the cause. 50% sounds good to me. I like a higher humidity indoors in the winter. Better for me and the plants and furniture, etc. Unless your windows are sweating a lot, I see no need for concern. I do have a "jungle." About 1700 plants on my small house right now and the humidity is usually between 35-45%. Yes, I do have at least one humidifier running at all times. 125 gallon aquarium as well. Gene

This message was edited Dec 8, 2014 11:22 AM

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Gene. 50% feels good to me, but it becomes an excuse for the company that installed my windows. So I'm looking for some links to studies that have been done about how much plants transpire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.