Morning Glories 2014 #16

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1378246

Lite Blue Tie Dye from last yr

Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Jackie! Love those blue blooms!

Thanks Linda.

Gautier, MS

Pretty purple GS from previous thread Jackie. I love that lite blue too!

My indica from yesterday late afternoon and a bloom from today. My indica in ground in the backyard has set lots more buds, so it'll be blooming till we get hit by frost.

I am growing a lot more salvias seedlings for next spring, a tray of hamelia patens needs to be transplanted into their own little pots.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Helena.
Love your indica. Are you planning on leaving it in the ground or digging it up?
Your Hamelia patens babies look good. Mine still waiting on bigger pots too.

From last yr

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Those are beautiful Jackie!

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. The third picture on my above post are from different salvia seedlings I started. I did get my hamelia patens into their little pots today, also had some nicotiana seedlings that were transplanted.

I love all those blooms you grew last year. That 2nd bloom is my favorite.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Helena as always your blooms are special, love the way the cold is turning the colors on the plant. Jackie that third one is beautiful, and that is a great picture of your i carnea.
I can't believe the new blooms popping out that were not there before on the arch. They are small, but colorful. moonflower is still budded and setosa going strong, but it is dipping down to 29 friday night. I am thinking of covering up the still growing vines with sheets. I want the seeds! LOL
from Joe's camera
flying saucer with pearly gates
and at the bottom of the arch..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

moonvine bud, on the arch purple bottom of arch white purp, closeup of one the door curtains,
Joe took the purp curtain down, they were all blue, just kept a few and bagged them. there are some seed pods on this right side curtain, I am going to ask Joe to untangle it and bring it down, he untangles my necklaces, I figure this will be easy for him, and then I can cover it up with a sheet and leaves. Joe will be digging up the big banana out front, and he will lug it downstairs and sink it into the sum-pump that we gutted out. It stayed there all last winter. We are leaving a baby in the front flower bed up against the house , I am experimenting with thie supposedly cold hardy banana. There is a house in Wichita I look at on the way to work, their banana comes back every year, and now there are three of them.That house is exactly 21 miles north of my house. . Since I have three more bananas, and not sure of the hardiness of them, I feel I can lose this young one if it doesn't make it. It is exactly in the same location and faces the sun in East like theirs does, .. we will see, we pile our leaves about two feet every fall all around the beds and the house . I like being a zone pusher. I better go to bed and try to sleep, waiting on the results of the MRI. I am miserable and mad at myself for having this happen.. a gardening accident. ugh.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks ladies.
Your Flying Saucer is really beautiful Debra, one of my favorites
We're going to have freezing or near freezing temps Friday and Sat nite too.
May have to cut some of my stems with sd pods to bring inside.

Debra Hopefully your baby banana will be fine. A few are very cold hardy.
Hope you get good news re your MRI. Let us know as soon as you find out.

Morning everyone l Love all the blooms your posting, and good luck with your banana plants Debra. Let us know when you here something on your back.

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies.

I love your blooms Debra, that FS and Blue star are gorgeous and your other blooms too. Hope your banana plant makes it too. We have people that grow them outside here too, I've tried but have not succeeded. I do have 2 in small pots. I hope your MRI turns out good.

A close up bloom of my late blooming pumpkin mg and indica.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Love your pumpkin bloom Helena. Wish now I had started one after seeing your pretty bloom.
I should have realized your pic was Salvia seedlings, not Hamelias.
Heres my little Hamelias, waiting for their own pots.
Dark bloom on HBlue

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. Your Hamelias look great. They will grow fast once in their own pot with good soil. I will plant a few of mine in sunny spots in the ground. My problem is that when I get plants in ground with good soil the roots from the trees and certain grass find it and suffecate and rob them of nutrients.

I have a few hamelias that took too long to grow and bloom. Sad too my hummers already left.
Maybe I'll be lucky to have a winter visitor.

Helena, I wonder if your Hamelias would do better in a large pot on the patio instead of
planting them in the ground for the tree roots to do in?? You could over winter them in
your garage til time to bring them out again in the Spring. Might be worth a try.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I grew one hamelia in a pot before and it didn't do good either. Sometimes just picking the right spot turns out to be a good thing. The one that I have by the front porch grows to over 10 ft. That's why I wanted to start more plants from seed. This year I noticed that the hummers were using that one over and over more than other plants. The bottle brush is another plant that I'm going to look for come spring.

I stayed inside most of the day today and didn't check for any blooms outside.

Helena, The Hamelia I lost yrs ago was huge. It was in a pot and I lost it when I didn't get it
potted up one yr.. I love the idea of
having one growing huge in the ground for the hummers to enjoy,

I love that pumpkin bloom, it is so pretty!

Good luck with the hamelia plants. I have never grown them.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, you could try growing a hamelia patens in the ground but it would have to have lots of sun. I try to plant close to the house, the bricks give extra heat in the winter. Also covering it with leaves helps a lot too, they die back after the frost gets them and I trim mine when new growth starts coming up in spring as it warms up. It's a great hummingbird plant for me.

Thanks Linda, my pumpkin will always be a favorite. You should try hamelia patens Linda, I bet it will grow good for you.

I dragged most of my plants into my gh, still a few are out. Indica still opening blooms, look at the color b/c of the cold. Also my passy is making blooms outside. I might cut it back and bring it in to the gh so I don't loose it.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena,I;m sure you;re at least one or two zones warmer than me, but I would love to try a Hamelia in the ground. Maybe if its large enough and I plant it on the south side of my house for
protection it might come back. I could always mulch it .
Beautiful changed color on your indica. Hope you take your passie in, too pretty to lose.
I got my Hamelias , 5 or more of them, planted in an empty large pot in the g house .
Hoping they will get larger now. I;m sure I;ve stunted them. :-(

I will have to find one next spring.

Linda, the blooms are not showy, they never fully open. The hummers love them anyway.
If mine bloom and make sds, I will save you some sds. You might want to google
Hamelia patens blooms so you can see what they look like,

Oh I have, and they are so pretty. I will check our nurseries next spring.

Gautier, MS

I'm sure being in TXs the nurseries should have them. I used seeds I got last year from my berries (the seeds are inside pulp sack after the berries ripen, turned dark purple.I usually smash the berries into paper towel, the seeds are tiny. I haven't seen any berries yet on mine for this year.

My indica this morning, the leaves look awful but I'll take the blooms... Tropical plant, a late bloomer. It warmed up a bit but they say colder weather is coming!

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Love the colors on your indica, and that turks cap is so pretty!

Beautiful blooms on your indica Helena. So happy you've still got a few things blooming.
Lovely Turks Cap, I have one up from seed. I put it in the same pot as the hummer shrub, Hamelia. Waiting to see what it does.

Only bloom I've had for a few days, lost my tag. Its a carryover from last yr,
Helena, we have colder
temps headed our way too. :-(

Thumbnail by patootie

Hi you guys, I see some really pretty blooms there, Helena. Love them. Jackie I tried the Hamelia
Patens, but never could get sprouts, and wouldn't know one from a weed at this point.
I still have red salvia blooming, outside, and marigolds, and mums, but everything else is done.
The basement gardens are loaded with colors, and I saw three mg blooms, but didn't have my camera and was on way to work anyway, if I have some blooming this weekend, My daughter
will help me get things a little more organized with strings, trellis and nets, been getting 5 green beans a week so far off one plant, just enough to feed to the goldfish, large moon snails and the turtles.
Can't wait for vacation, until then it is barely light in the am when I leave and very dark when I come home, and am so tired after being down in my back for two weeks of pain, finally painfree and trying NOT to do anything normal, like moving pots that weigh 100 lbs or something .
I feel like an invalid the way everyone watches me like a hawk now.
I have seeds of these things if anyone wants any.. GiANT Hyssop, two toned fuchia 4 o clock,
north fence mix number 1, red star hibiscus, and these I have never seen bloom, are tubers, and willing to send away so someone can tell me what they are.

I was wondering how you're back was doing Debra. Glad its better.
Beautiful blooms. Love the mixed mg's and red Hibiscus,.

Glad to hear your dong better Debra. Now please listen to everyone, and don't pick up anything!!!

Love your blooms!

Debra, If you ever switch to a potting mix instead of a potting soil, your big plants will weigh
almost nothing, especially when they're dry. You wouldn;t ever go back to a heavy potting soil,
I use Fertilome.,13.95 for 1 cubic feet of mix. Pro-Mix is great too but is so dry, you need to pre-moisten it b4 you can use it, If you try to plant in it b4 pre-wetting, the water just sits on
top of the mix, not draining

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra, I believe your tubers are alstroemeria. I have the white version, Casa Blanca. They bloom while I am in NY but I've heard they are very nice from my neighbors.

Gautier, MS

Pretty bloom Jackie, I think your bloom is cordatotriloba. I had similar blooms, some are dark center others are lighter.

Debra, glad you're painfree now. You'll have to take it easy for awhile not to hurt yourself again, hope your vacation is soon. Your blooms are pretty as usual. I agree with mittsy, your 4th bloom is alstroemeria. I've grown them before too and saw that they don't always are consistent in blooming.

Don't have any nice blooms right now. But my green house is filled with salvia plants and seedlings and other tropicals. It's been nice here, just right.

Helena, I think you're right about the id being cardatotriloba.
Today was our last nice day. Tomorrow the temps will start falling, down in the 40's
and will stay there for a week or more. Then it might turn colder. I dread winter already,

Jackie I agree with Helena, I have that growing too, well now it is frozen LOL
but this afternoon, Joe got these pics for me, and then this am I got some pics downstairs on way to work.. we went from 77 to 33 so far, the wind is blowing gusts up tp 50mph, the trees will all be naked and in our gutters by the end of this week, which just gets colder.. our furnace has not kicked on yet, I think it might once it gets to 22 outside, ( tonight) so glad Joe saw these Flying saucer or what ever they are blooming for me, and some from downstairs. I have had that pot of
alstroemeria in and out now for a year and a half, maybe it will do something .. if not, I am getting rid of it. Maybe my climate in or out is not what it wants.
Woke up with bad pain, took meds, then was sick all night, went to work sick and hurting, but got better after I came home and got a patch on. those lidocaine patches are expensive, but worth it.
I didn't go downstairs tonight, but I did see some buds forming this am ..
first 2 pics are from outside at 2:30 pm, and 77 degrees, other three pics from inside.

Really nice blooms Debra. Great Flying Saucers. and beautiful colors on the rest
of your blooms.
Glad the patch eased your pain.

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Debra, love your FS! Glad the patch worked on the pain for you.

Well, I guess we won't be able to stop the cold weather from coming our way no matter what!!!

I feel like I have a nursery going in my green house. Transplanted several salvia seedlings into bigger pots yesterday then left them outside overnight. It's not too cold here yet.

Helena, Working on my seed gathering here. I would love to finish up and do my mail outs b4
Thanksgiving. Just 2 weeks away. Can't believe the holidays are almost here.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I'm still getting a few seeds here and there. It's really hard to work on the cleaning and sorting the seeds for me if I'm not in the mood to do it, like right now. I already did a lot from summer and early fall but the last grow out has not made much seeds, and I really liked some of the light blue blooms and pink silk.

A small bloom today, my hamelia paten babies and salvia seedlings, crotolaria and nicotianas blooms outside.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, your baby seedlings all look good. Love the pretty color on your mg.
The Crotolaria is beautiful, Please save me a sd or 2 if it makes any !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.