Interest in Hostas waning?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, it is all Dave's gardens fault. I bought almost all of them of them as plugs though coops and from Group Buys. Patti

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Mine has grown by bits and pieces - coops (somebody really should do one :-) a couple local nurseries and mail order, and - surprisingly - our local WalMart garden center. Their selection is pretty meager for most things, but they have a local grower that supplies them with an interesting assortment of heuchs and hosts, and it seems to change each year. I make it a point to swing through there once or twice when they've gotten in a fresh shipment and scoop up things I don't already have.

Other people have said their local Lowe's sells an amazing assortment of hosta, but not ours. They carry the same half-dozen varieties every year. Don't they know that at least some of their customers are looking for something new each year?

IMHO, a nursery is a lot more like a department store than a grocery store. In my grocery store, I rely on them to stock the same items year-in and out. But if my department store always carried the same selection of shoes or clothes, I'd be bored out of my skull within a few seasons.

But I digress. Patti, what are your favorites out of your wonderful list? I am trying to create a "tapestry" in a deep shady corner, with a mix of blues, golds, crinkly leaves, different heights, and leaf shapes. I also have more room in two other beds, so I keep dividing along with plugging in new "foundlings" I bring home.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I added one more today, Hosta Humpback Whale for Jessie's bed from Bluestones . I create my favorite Hosta list soon. Too busy trying to clean up from the January storm and all the resent snow, but will do a serious list soon. We have many days of burning to do and will even call in some help to haul some of the huge limbs to the dump which we hate doing. As far as my normal favorites, I tend to like chartreuse Hosta , and those with variegated leaves, as well as crinkled leaves or Hosta with thick leaves and ones with high contrast in the shades and of course scent. I do favor white flowers most, but have one that is a very deep purple that always makes me happy.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It sounds like you really got hit with the storm. Glad you're okay.

My favorites are the chartreuse as well.

Which hostas have the most scent?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

We have these fragrant Hosta, but there are many more, however some seem not available or affordable. We have an old stand of Hosta Royal Standard by our front door and in August it is never not noticed by visitors as it has a wonderful scent. Patti

Aphrodite plantaginea
Cathedral Windows
Dark Shadows
Fragrant Blue
Guacamole
Holy Mole
plantaginea
Royal Standard
Stained Glass
Sugar Snap
Sweet Innocence
Thunderbolt

The most useful of Hosta sites for Hosta lists of every type you could think of (91 different Lists).
http://www.hostalists.org/index.php

good article
http://www.plantdelights.com/Fragrant-Hostas/Article/Buy-Fragrant-Hosta

nice list
http://www.nhhostas.com/fragrant-hostas.htm?pi=4

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Cville-Gardener!

I love Wolverine. That one does so well in my garden that if I ever need something to fill in a space here or there, I did out a small bit of Wolverine and plant it. I scooped up three pots of it for $2 each at our local greenhouse at the end of the season two year ago. Talk about a bargin!!!

It's the first day of Spring and we are still covered in so much snow that I can't see any of my gardens yet. It's so depressing.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

'Wolverine' is so attractive. You certainly did get a bargain!, Jennifer. I hope I can find it here.

Thanks for the list of fragrant hostas, bbrookrd.

It's supposed to be 69° here today!

It's going to be a gorgeous day in the mid-state area. We'll be spending it installing replacement flooring in our old (now a rental) house and hopefully getting it ready to re-rent soon. But the weather means I can at least open the windows and get some fresh air while we work :-)

I love Wolverine - that was another one I picked up at WalMart for a song. It's a good grower (I've divided it multiple times) and doesn't tend to suffer from leaf scorch like the gold-leaved varieties do.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Do the ones from Walmart do well? I saw yesterday that they had several Kathy

I've never had a problem with them. I know there is a risk of introducing the Hosta X virus into your garden, and that makes a lot of growers leery of buying plants from big box stores. Fingers crossed - I haven't had that problem.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Terry. Will pick some up the next time I am there. Kathy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've never had a problem with the hostas from our Walmart either.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

They had several different ones, some singles and some in 3-packs. Will just have to see what they have left when I make it back up there. Need to go to town and finish shopping for Easter dinner.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I always avoid box stores for independent growers and have found this one in Vt that had H.Wolverine so I went though their list and found many more fragrant hosta to order and too many other choice ones too. Now I need to cull. Patti

http://www.greenmountainhosta.com/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I buy from both and don't make it a hard and fast rule to avoid any unless I know they are having problems with plants.

It looks like Green Mountain has a nice selection of fragrant Hostas as well as others.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I Dug a new hosta bed yesterday, but during the night I realized that I want to make it larger already. A Sleepless nights from being sore from the heavy work yesterday is going to cause me more pain tonight. But now I can send off my Green Mt Hosta order and know that I can plant them along with the plugs I am getting from Touch Of Nature.as soon as they arrive. Patti

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I just bought August Moon from Lowes, a very nice looking plant but will leave it in the pot for awhile yet as we still have chances of frost here in Ohio.

Kathy

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL!

I have a rather large azela that did not survive the winter. It's going to get ripped out as soon as the ground thaws and replaced by three or four new little azelas. And of course hosta!

It looks like I lost a couple small spiraeas to the winter, and possibly three knockout rose bushes. (the others are leafed out, but three look really...brown. And crispy.) It was not a kind season for woody plants. I haven't checked to see whether my hydrangeas all pulled through, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a few of them didn't make it :-(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My three Knockouts have new leaves. Not so with the Cl. Cecile Bunner rose - but I wanted to remove it anyway. I was surprised to see a dead Loropetalum. Looks like a few other things might be goners. Lost my hardy banana. Most of the losses were due to a combination of wet and cold.

The hostas are all leafing out.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Seems like we all have casualties from the winter. I am still assessing my losses. Last Spring I had several things that were really late coming back out. So that could be the case this year, too. I will keep a watchful eye on things before I start replacing them. But the cold wet winter did not do us any favors, for sure. My Empress Wu is sprouting, as well as a few other hostas that I will have to check the names of. lol Can't remember at this moment. Have a great day everyone!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I noticed yesterday that a few of my hostas are starting to poke their heads thru the ground. After another morning of storms will have to go out and check on all the flowers. Hopefully this is it at least until the next batch hits next Monday.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

All of mine are up. I'm happy to see them.

Wyoming, MN

Nothing here yet. Just tulips and daffodils

Our tulips and daffy are just about spent...my buttercups were fading a couple weeks ago. But all my hostas are up. Now to get busy weeding!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Got our first order from Green Mt Hosta that we will plant in the new hosta bed tomorrow. They have nice roots, so assume they will do well. Patti

Austin Dickinson $5.00
Bright Lights Hosta - medium $7.00
Dixie Chickadee Hosta - mini $10.00
Emerald Tiara Hosta - small $6.00
Frosted Mouse Ears Hosta - mini $14.00
Jack of Diamonds Hosta - medium $10.00
Lakeside Midnight Miss Hosta - medium $14.00
Sweet Sunshine Hosta - medium $14.00
Unforgettable Hosta - medium $10.00
Warwick Comet Hosta - medium $12.00
Wolverine Hosta - medium $5.00

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very interesting order, bbrook. Warwick Comet is a real beauty. I couldn't find anything special at the garden center this week, but I know they will have more to offer in awhile.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

213 on my list and they've really popped in the last week. I've lost a few, but with one exception, they were all very tiny and struggling last year. The one exception was in a pot in my enclosed porch. I just didn't get it buried and it had been a liner a year ago last April. I guess it wasn't strong enough to survive the porch although a number of other hostas did. But most in pots were buried for the winter and did fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.