Squirrel Pics (& Conversation) Vol. 19

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey all you Squirrel Lovers...our thread was getting waaaay too long, so I decided to start volume 19. I'm looking forward to more of everyone's adorable pictures and I'm sure all of you are too.

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1319232/#new

But don't forget to go back and take a peek now and then. Volume 18 was really great...of course, so was volume 17 and 16 and 15 and 14 and...well you get the idea.

Here's some pics to start us off.

1) "Don't even think about it!" - (This guy was guarding the few remaining peanuts in the feeder daring anyone to even consider stealing one.)

2) "...7-8-9-10. Ready or not, here I come!"

3) "I wonder where I can hide this sunflower seed?"

4) "I'm exhausted. Climbing trees is hard work."

5) "I can't remember where I buried my peanut."

This message was edited Sep 23, 2014 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are funny. Love the captions.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL...those are great! I like the hiding seek photo, too cute.

This squirrel isn't our beloved Peanut, but it is Mr. Peanut, her boyfriend. You see Peanut now has a litter and we don't see her as often. But she still comes for a quick visit most days and it is apparent by her nipples and her appetite she is nursing. Sometimes Mr. Peanut is with her, but usually they come at different times. I read where they both take care of the nest.

I hope one day I'll see baby Peanuts, but that won't be for awhile yet.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow...there's something all messed up with DG threads all of a sudden! Everything is scrunched together with "br, br, br" and some other Hieroglyphics all over the place!

Edited 9/25/14 @ 12:09 PM to add: Looks like they may have just fixed it...I think.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2014 12:09 PM

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, now that DG seems to be working again...Thanks Cville & sunkissed for your comments!

Sunkissed - Peanut has great taste in men! Mr. Peanut is a handsome guy! Gee, hard to believe your little Peanut is a Mommy. That's so cool.

Speaking of peanuts, the little squirrel in this next pic sure seemed happy while eating a peanut.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Looks like things are fixed again. I sure would not like to be a web programmer, my son is and he has two jobs besides his full time job. Not to mention his family always calls him for help with their computers.

What a nice close up Nuts, they do like their peanuts. We go through a pound of raw peanuts a week here. Of course the dog eats them too.

Melbourne, FL

My squirrels always come prepared to haul.

Thumbnail by gardenpom Thumbnail by gardenpom
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Such a stylish duo! :)

That is so funny, my squirrels could use a suitcase to carry all the nuts back to their babies.

I'm not sure why Peanut was lying like this on her mouth and keeping her belly up, can only think may be sore from feeding babies???

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Gardenpom ~ I think your squirrels might be on to something!

Sunkissed ~ As funny as it looks to us, Peanut seems to be comfortable. I've seen my squirrels in all sorts of odd poses.

Well, I guess my squirrels are hooked on hauling their food in their mouths. But it saves me having to find them the right size suitcase or briefcase.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

That squirrel looks a little chubby. ☺I like watching how many times my squirrels maneuver the nuts around in their mouth to get it just right so they don't drop it before they take off to their hiding places.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

My leaves are almost all cleaned up so I can start looking at the squirrels and birds again instead of scaring them away. Here are a couple yesterday not doing anything cute.

Thumbnail by ottahand7

Cute couple.

Leaves are just starting to fall around here and will continue through March, but the acorns are killer, they are all over the place, they hurt when they hit your head. Squirrels are happy with all the acorns but they still love their peanuts.

We named Peanut's boyfriend, Stumpy, since he is missing the last inch of his tail. They both will eat from our hands, but only Peanut lets you scratch her head.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love how tame your squirrels have become.

Glen Burnie, MD

Just found this thread. How cool! I live in the 'burbs, with about a 1/2 acre. My neighbors are always kidding me about all the critters I feed. I get a lot of squirrels & a few will eat out of my hand. I keep some peanuts in my pocket & yesterday I almost caught a squirrel in the car door cuz I didn't,t notice it had followed me to the car & stood up with its front feet on the driver's door entrance! It was looking @ me like, "Did you forget something?"! And I don't if any of you have seen this but I ordered a tee shirt from the Collections catalog that shows a squirrel saying, " Uh excuse me, but the bird feeder's empty."! It's a hoot & I've gotten a lot of comments on it.

Glad I found this thread; here I won't feel like a "nut"!

This message was edited Dec 20, 2014 10:49 AM

Welcome Carol, hope you can snap some shots of your friendly squirrels. Cute story, I do make sure the driveway is clear before I back out, the squirrels have come up into our garage looking for some peanuts from us.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Carol. From one nut to another, you will right at home here. I know I am. :)

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Carol & Welcome!
Here we are all a little "nuts" (note my "user name"). The nuttier the better.

Many of us don't visit as frequently at various times of the year, but we all show up eventually.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is a cute youngster that for some reason loves to climb over the top of our Japanese Hollies and seems to eat something. Sometimes he comes up the wrong way and gets caught underneath the netting to keep the deer from eating them but he figures out how to get out.

nuts - I love the little chipmunk photo!

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Awful cute youngun' there ottahand.

I'm a little lean with the feed these days out there but whenever a squirllie man shows up I throw something out to him/her. We've had a fairly mild winter and it was not uncommon to have 9 squirrels at a time in my yard which is a lot in such a small city neighborhood as we are bounded by three major roadways.

I leave the stalks up from my garden over winter to allow protective cover from the hawks that visit. I've also had some cats stalking around at night so I haven't seen much of the chippies lately. I guess up north with the snow some critters might even be hibernating.

Any news?

What a cutie, Ottahand. I'm surprised I don't see many youngsters around here with all the squirrels we have around here.

Peanut trying to get into her nuts container...

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Aww - thanks - she's such a sweetie. :)

I was out reading my book this weekend and Peanut came down and sat with me. I always have some peanuts in my pockets. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are just too cute for words!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

LOVE, love. :)

(Zone 5a)

That is so cute, sunkissed.

We do not see many squirrels out here on my wannabe prairie; they like trees. My husband planted a tree line some years ago and we may have squirrels regularly when the trees are larger. We had one that came here briefly this summer during the height of the 17-year cicadas. We later learned they eat the ones that drop. Some of our nesting birds just did not care for the squirrel, chasing it all over the south yard. It finally put its tail up as a shield and proceeded to eat.

The next one is a "fellow" we saw at a bird blind in town recently. They have all sorts of baffles, but the critters can eat what falls to the ground. These bird blinds are also the only place we can see Chipmunks. We do have squinneys here, but I think they are hibernating now.

The last one is an old photo of a squinney reaping the harvest. We used to think it strange all these sunflowers coming up in odd places (now knowing it was the squinneys burying seeds). Many just got mowed over, but we left this one in our front patch. It was funny when we saw the critter eating from it. Squinneys like to bury safflower too, but we have to have just the right conditions for that to grow, early rains then basically drought for the rest of the summer. I tried gathering the seeds, but the plants are like thistle. Ouch!

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean, I've never heard of a squinney, how interesting. I had to look it up, a cute critter.

I have a peanut plant growing in my garden, thanks to the squirrels. I wouldn't mind a sunflower coming up somewhere, maybe I should fee them some sunflower seeds.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

A squinney is a Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel. Very cute, Chillyb.

Edinburg, TX

Howdy y'all! Am excited to have squirrels visit my yard! I've been putting out pecans, peanuts and birdseed but need to know how can I keep the birds from taking the food? I get gobs of sparrows that can eat a 50 lb bag of birdseed in a week! I also get grackles, woodpeckers and great kiskadees that take the peanuts. I don't mind feeding the birds and I do make my own suet cakes mixed with peanut butter, seeds, nuts and berries just for them but they are bottomless!

Soooo. What feeder can I make or buy that the birds won't get into? I tried a long glass tube with food and set it out at an angle but the fat white wing doves get into it send can't get back out!

Here's mama squirrel eating flower seeds and another squirrel higher up the oak looking on.

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Is this the feeder you tried? http://www.instructables.com/id/Bird-proof-Squirrel-Feeder/

(Zone 5a)

TexasPuddyPrint, I have to admit, I have never heard of anyone feeding the squirrels complain about the birds. :) It is usually the other way around and there is a vast industry around keeping the squirrels away from the bird feed.

In Omaha, we never paid attention to birds, but did have squirrels, so we bought a feeder that had a lid and the squirrels could get in and take the food. We had one that would cram his whole body into it when the seed and nuts were low. I have a picture, but cannot find it now. Cville_Gardener's idea looks like a good one.

Edinburg, TX

Oh wow!!! That is perfect!!! The squirrel has to open the lid!!! Am sure they are crafty enough to figure that out quickly. That is awesome!!!! Now the birds won't be able to eat the seeds or fly off with the nuts. Am so excited!!!

Gonna sweet talk my neighbor into making a couple for me!!! He's divorced and disabled and is always out in his garage with the door up working on projects and keeping an eye on our neighborhood.

Thanks again! That is exactly what I need!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the squirrel feeder. :)

I do have to admit the feeder could be fun to watch, I actually saw something like that at the craft festival last fall.

We just feed them by hand, seems Peanut has been bringing a smaller squirrel around with her, so we figure it is her baby. So we have the three of them always come around, Peanut, Stumpy (the boyfriend) and now Baby.

Stumpy on the red chair, we call him that because he lost the end of his tail, which is now growing back, so easy to tell him apart from other squirrels. The squirrel in the tree is the baby. Peanut on the fence.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are great photos, sunkissed. What a sweet family. :) I'm watching one of the squirrels here drink from the birdbath and just jumped back into the big Norway Spruce. They are such fun to watch unless they try to hide something in the electrical transformer in back of the lot. Several have met their demise that way, not to mention the resulting power outage.

(Zone 5a)

Quote from Cville_Gardener :
Several have met their demise that way, not to mention the resulting power outage.

It would make sense if the power companies would actually do something to protect the squirrels and their equipment at the same time. But with the last wild Decorah eagle electrocution, Alliant doesn't think their design is a problem at that location. Bah! If they won't protect the Eagles, it is unlikely they'd protect the squirrels.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's the truth.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I think they were putting protectors up in Decorah. Can't remember what they are called. something about swans I think. So. Squeaky Wheel.

Also Cat, if you don't feel like getting one made, here are some others that need the squirrel to open. I like the green metal house.

http://www.duncraft.com/index/page/category/category_id/95/name/Squirrel+Feeders+%26+Houses#.

(Zone 5a)

This latest electrocution was some ways from the nest and a different company. I'll try to find the link....

Here it is.
http://thegazette.com/subject/news/another-decorah-eagle-electrocuted-by-a-utility-pole-20150309

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No covers here. Primarily, I think, because the electrical lines are on the phone poles and they consider it the phone companies responsibility but the phone company considers it the electric company's thing. It's a circular argument to which no one will respond due to $$.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.