Squirrel Pics (& Conversation) Vol. 19

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's the facebook post from Raptor Resource project.

Quoting:
Some good news on the electrical front! ITC holdings, who owns the transmission line in Decorah where Indy was electrocuted this summer, placed swan diverters on the ground wires on that section of the line and a couple of others in the area to make it more visible to birds. They also plan to place covers on the insulators on the poles, so if a bird perches on the pole or the insulator, the bird wing won’t come into contact with an energized line. The guards have to be custom-made and haven't been placed yet, but ITC plans to put guards on 27 structures in the area. We are thrilled to know they are taking steps to safeguard the Decorah eagles and other local birds.
A big thanks to ITC for responding to the problem, to the Iowa DNR for their work in helping identify additional areas that could be an issue, and to friend and Decorah eagles follower Iver Burl for the photos. While Bob worked with ITC on the issue, Iver's photos brought the diverters to our attention. If you look closely at the line, you'll see the diverters attached to it. I've also included a photo of a diverter (thanks, Sherri Elliott) so everyone can get a better look at them.
Ever wonder how they get the swan diverters on? This looks like a ton of fun to me! Seriously, it's very impressive. http://youtu.be/nHVBJwniv8c
Bob is talking to Alliant about the pole that electrocuted Four. That pole is about 130 miles south of the nest. We will post news as we have it. Thanks again, ITC!

Edinburg, TX

Thanks Mrs_Ed! I'll have to show those to the neighbor also! I just found out the woodpeckers are taking the pecans out of the basket I put out for the squirrels! UGH!!!

(Zone 5a)

I had seen that and am grateful. The most current was Alliant Energy's pole. I haven't seen an update on this one yet.

(Zone 5a)

Finally heard an update about Alliant (which is our electric company) The gist was after the Decorah eagle's electrocution, when Alliant was told of this, they said everything was up to code. But Raptor Resource got a 2nd opinion that said, no, they were not safe and gave suggestions. Volunteers surveyed the area and found no living eagles at the time, but learned of another electrocution in the area. Now Alliant says they will fix the fatal poles and others like them. YAY!

Here's the link to the latest blog entry.
http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-four-recap.html

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I was taking a photo of this huge caladium leaf after the rain and didn't notice the squirrel peeking around the tree at me. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
(Zone 5a)

That is really cute, sunkissed. :)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Ha. nice photobomb

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Now those are great! What a ham. :)

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

We need more Squirrel and/or Chipmunk pics. Here's a few.

1) Roughhousing in the grass

2) Munching on a grape

3) Enjoying a Peanut

4) Just looking cute

5) Guarding the peanut stash

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Great shots of the squirrels, I especially like the playing in the grass, they even look as though they are holding hands....great catch.

I dug through some recent shots and here are some shots of my garden squirrels...First three are of Peanut.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks sunkissed!

Very cute pictures! Peanut looks like she's posing for the camera. Isn't it funny how squirrels will peak through the branches of a tree? Sometimes it's like they think you can't see them there.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

I think Peanut if pregnant again, she seems to be getting fatter, really putting away those peanuts. I think the chipmunks are so adorable.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Congrats! Have you ever seen any of her kids from her last litter?

The Chipmunks have to be adorable in order to make up for the havoc they create with all their digging.

They are so gosh darn cute.

We never did see any baby squirrels, although we do have two much smaller now hanging around and they are sure getting quite used to us...could be offspring. They seem to live in one of the oaks here.

How about these two visitors the other day (it is mating season again) His and hers, and yes I was holding a nut up in the air while taking the picture. ☺

(Zone 5a)

Here's squinney cleaning his paws. I haven't seen one in a handful of days. They've been hanging around the bird feeding area.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

What a cute name, might have to steal that name...LOL.

(Zone 5a)

You can use it if you wish. :) I didn't make it up. It is used for the thirteen-lined ground squirrels in the area. Wikipedia used to say "squinney" was only used in Iowa, but have since changed that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen-lined_ground_squirrel

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ha Ha - sunkissed - getting them to pose for the pics! I hope you gave them each a peanut afterward.

Cute Squinney.

Very interesting, no squinnies that I know of in FL, I do call mine squirrely though. ☺
Yes, each squirrel got a nut for holding their pose.

Some shots of Peanut on my front porch, she is the only one that will come sit with me on the porch.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

She's a cutie!

Here's a couple of "mouth-full-of-peanut" shots:

Love it.

We were over on the west coast and I got to see a mother squirrel relocating her babies one by one to a new tall tree at the picnic area we were at. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, but it was so cute to see them in mama's mouth with their little tails wrapped around her neck, Hardly ever see baby squirrels.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

She looks very serious about the business at hand.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

... not such great photos (sorry) but I do enjoy their antics.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Hi Cville, your squirrels look just like mine.

The acorns are starting to fall from the trees now, a sign Fall is coming soon. Saves me money on Peanuts. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Some shots of Peanut, she is a morning regular around here...

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi squirrel fans, I am coming back from a 2-year hiatus. In that time I lost my husband and made a major lifetime move back to where I grew up in Michigan. I am sure my zone is wrong as I haven't updated it. This black squirrel showed up on my deck this week. I have mainly gray squirrels with some red squirrels. This is a rare visitor to get birdseed. I understand that W.K. Kellogg imported them from Europe for his Kellogg bird sanctuary and they have slowly made their way to Allegan County over the years. It is good to be back!

Thumbnail by ottahand7 Thumbnail by ottahand7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi ottahand7,
So sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you're doing better now.
It's good you still have wildlife around, as nature has a wonderful healing effect.

I've been in and out of DG so I haven't kept up much lately. I tend to go through stretches where I get involved in too many other things. Our yard is still very much full of wildlife year around.

Your pics are adorable. Every once in a while we'll see a black squirrel, but it's rare and they usually don't stick around very long. Interestingly, the most black squirrels we ever saw at once was in Mackinaw City, MI. We had just crossed the Mackinac Bridge after spending time in the UP. There were black squirrels everywhere. In fact, they were the only squirrels we saw.

Since I only pop in on occasion I haven't posted for a while. Maybe as the weather warms up there will be some more squirrel-lovers around.

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi nutsaboutnature, I am heading to my cabin in the UP for the summer so hopefully I can add more photos of my chipmunk pals. Have a nice summer!

Thumbnail by ottahand7

Hello ottahand7, I too am sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. A move back to your roots should be fulfilling. The black squirrel is very unique, I've never seen one in real life. Hope you can post more.
Nice to see you too Nuts, been awhile. I always love your pictures, hope to see some soon.
Peanut hasn't been around for about a year now, seeing those pictures of her above pulled at my heart strings. A new squirrel has sort has been coming up for peanuts and will take them from my hand gently, but isn't as friendly as Peanut.
I took this picture last month of the new squirrel, pretty sure she's a gal too.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.