Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Chillybean

In reply to: Squirrel Pics (& Conversation) Vol. 19

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Squirrel Pics (& Conversation) Vol. 19
Chillybean wrote:
That is so cute, sunkissed.

We do not see many squirrels out here on my wannabe prairie; they like trees. My husband planted a tree line some years ago and we may have squirrels regularly when the trees are larger. We had one that came here briefly this summer during the height of the 17-year cicadas. We later learned they eat the ones that drop. Some of our nesting birds just did not care for the squirrel, chasing it all over the south yard. It finally put its tail up as a shield and proceeded to eat.

The next one is a "fellow" we saw at a bird blind in town recently. They have all sorts of baffles, but the critters can eat what falls to the ground. These bird blinds are also the only place we can see Chipmunks. We do have squinneys here, but I think they are hibernating now.

The last one is an old photo of a squinney reaping the harvest. We used to think it strange all these sunflowers coming up in odd places (now knowing it was the squinneys burying seeds). Many just got mowed over, but we left this one in our front patch. It was funny when we saw the critter eating from it. Squinneys like to bury safflower too, but we have to have just the right conditions for that to grow, early rains then basically drought for the rest of the summer. I tried gathering the seeds, but the plants are like thistle. Ouch!