September Thru Fall Blooms

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Me either, I got bulbs coming too!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

You ladies are something else!!!!
Karen LHM was measured today @ 40".
Susan the vine and both daylilies are gorgeous.
I got the only thing I have coming this fall. Louise Rowe Clematis, a couple days ago. It died last winter. 2013 pic

This message was edited Sep 20, 2014 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I must add as far as purchases are concern.
I have a couple pending trades coming up. Ha Ha!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The "Autumn King" is still going.
Mama's Cherry Pie - LFO
Stella's Ruffled Fingers
Kanai Sensei
This Iris give Immortality a run for consistent rebloomer around here. I have the name around here, somewhere. LOL! Got it, Iris is "Earl Of Essex".

This message was edited Sep 21, 2014 7:45 AM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Bitsy
Black Eyed Stella
Coconut - very impressed with the long bloom time.
Rose Of Sharon
Nicotina

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Louise Rowe Clematis is beautiful! Glad you got you another one, you enabler!! I just got LHM last spring along with some other yellows to plant in front of my false cypres. I moved Bottle Rocket last spring to have some orange echoing off the Poker Lily. That daylily is also 40" and very vigorous, when I divided the df I had planted the year before it had grown to 7 fans, so I just divided them and replanted. Here is pic from last year and it towered over everything even the birdbath. LOL.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, Bottle Rocket is a nice one.
Dragon Knife
Daylily Journal - received yesterday.
Art Gallery Gardens of the Lambertson's have a few 2015 dips that I love. They have a insert in the "Journal".
Green Imperial Pigeon
Violet Cuckoo
Mighty Moth

Tet
Pulling Teeth

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I saw those dips too. They are very nice looking!!!! Wish I could make some that looked that good.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Mike! I got my Journal too but have not looked at it.

Cindy, I will check out those dips.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I haven't got my journal, yet. When did you guys get yours? I'll be watching for that mail lady today!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Got mine a week ago.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I got mine on the 23rd.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Black Eyed Stella, still going.
Stella's Ruffled Fingers
Blast From The Past
Pretty Dahlia bloom!
Nicotina, Anemone and David - Left to right.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Stella, Happy Returns, Rosy Returns and Galaxy Explosion are still blooming here.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

My Daylily journal came today. It was waiting for a day, I really needed it.
I really like Lambertson's "Wacky". I'll wait for the price to come down a bit. I'm not going to pay $150.00 for a SF of anything. Lol
I think most of his introductions look like daylilies already out there. Another thing, people need to stop calling purple daylilies, Blue something. They are purple, people! Lol It's getting on my nerves.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike, Love that Phlox David, must try that one again. I killed the first one, it got buried at back of pot ghetto. LOL.

TD, Most of them are really Lavender. I have a couple that are surprisingly a real blue, but not many. LOL.

My best blue is ''Mississippi Blues''. :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I like MB. Probably has nothing to do with my initials! LOL! The cold has slowed the daylilies down. Nevertheless Nature boy is reblooming.
Stella's Ruffled Fingers one of last two flowers.
Blast from The Past
Genesta
Rosy Returns

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

There's nothing "Bitsy" about this little cutie!
Happy Returns
Aster
Earl Of Essex Iris
Black Eyed Stella

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike, MB is a nice flower similar to Azure Butterfly but bluer. I love that you still have blooms! Mine are mostly gone because of rust I whacked most down except for the large bed out front and I let DH mow those down. LOL.

I have one I just got from Maryott's that is blooming and two or three with buds but after this flower I am cutting off the stalks to make them focus on roots to prepare for winter. This is Calamity Jane, a bonus from Maryott's. Sorry not good picture but you can see how big and bright the flower is.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

CJ is definitely a nice flower. I have always like that one.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Me too!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Mike, I was outside today mulching some of my newer daylilies that are evergreens and I noticed 2 scapes coming on Genesta. I knew it was too late in the season for them so I removed them. It sure surprised me though.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, that's good news. You did the right thing this late in the season. Next season will be great.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The cold weather has slowed just about everything down around here.
Apricot Sparkles - will be divided this fall. Too BIG and failing to rebloom like it did in the past.
Genesta
Gudrid Scapes - 22-33-34-42-45-- Reminder, get your 2014 "bud count" ready!!!
Endless Heart - reblooming. Counted 19 buds. This one started the season back in late May, it will be closing it out with Rosy Returns, On And On, Black Eyed Stella, Caesar's Head= not opening well due to the cold, Dragon Knife, Stella's Sparky, Apricot Sparkles, Bitsy and Kanai Sensei.
Perennial Mums "Nor 'easter" are taking off.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2014 6:39 AM

I must be gardening in the wrong zone. My last DL bloom was in mid-September. No re-bloomers will rebloom here, not even Stella. I finally picked my last pod today.

The only plants blooming are Mums and Prairie Sunflower.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I did not count any buds in 2014. LOL. Except for Cherry Ice Cream Smile, there were two. A far cry from 5 branches with 30 buds. I do think I need to keep better tabs on these daylilies, I do not think they bloom as well as the hybridnizer claim. I think they exaggerate.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I thought I posted Olallie Mack before, it's been blooming for weeks, but I don't see it. So here it is again. It was still going today when I left, but I didn't get a new pic. The foliage on Round Midnight is huge- the leaves were so long I thought it was a Siberian Iris, until I looked at the marker. You can just see it between the Liatris clumps.

Fall has hit for real here- and it's gorgeous! I think today was the peak.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma, love the Mums and the Helianthus blooms.
Pam nice fall scenery in your garden.
Mary do you know this funny guy from Alaska? His name in John Evans. http://youtu.be/n8QHLkkrQsA?list=PLyJNE_UhNJoothjI_M0K5TxKozl0Q3hwg
I miss "Gardening By The Yard" on HGTV with Paul James.
A lot of his shows and clips are on Youtube and HGTV.
One of these days when I have more time I am going to try brewing some compost tea.

Thanks Mike. And your Daylilies are gorgeous

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Only Happy Returns is still blooming here. Linda Beck has a rebloom scape with about 5 buds but unless the weather warms up it probably will freeze.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The "Great Lakes Daylily Newsletter" arrived yesterday. Bob Faulkner article on pages eighteen and nineteen, titled "Musings And Mischief" was very funny to me. There were also some interesting pics of Carol DeVries display garden in Michigan. I haven't gone thru the whole newsletter yet but, I am looking forward to doing so this weekend.
Autumn King - LFO
Black Eyed Stella
Waiting for this reblooming Iris to open despite the cold temps.
Gallardia, none stop blooms.
Aster

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all! Mike, I can't believe you still have DLs blooming! What an amazing year! AND AN IRIS??? It must be confused! ^_^

Blomma that prairie sunflower is so cheerful!

pfg, love your fall colors - very pretty. Fall is beginning to arrive here and a few things are starting to turn - the dogwoods and gum trees, oaks and other hardwoods will be following soon.

I had hoped to do some DL trading this fall............ not sure if I am going to accomplish that or not!

Hi Gen, This year it wasn't so cheerful since it didn't bloom as good as usual.

What is really surprising is that my Floribunda and mini roses are still blooming and putting out additional buds. May be due to me trimming back the spent blooms so no seed hips formed. All my roses are the Floribunda type that blooms all summer.

1] Hardy Mini rose from my son-in-law.
2] Small bush rose
3] Heart and Soul Floribunda with one flower.
4] Datura metel 'Ballerina' still blooming. Hoping the seeds will mature before hard frost because I am out of seeds for this color. If the seeds don;t mature, will pot it up and put it in my daughter sunny enclosed porch over winter.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike,

Hard to believe you are in zone 5. My stuff stopped blooming a long time ago. I do have a little rebloom on my Major Wheeler. The beauty berry is in full berry. LOL. Oh, the ever blooming Knockout Roses are having a ball.

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

With a little warmer temp coming over the weekend I hope a couple of my daylilies that stalled due to the cold will bloom.
Genna, that's one of the reblooming Iris variety that I have.

Blomma love the roses and that Datura. I have seeds falling everywhere from the white Datura that I have. I don't save the seeds they just start growing the following spring.
Susan love your rose and Honey Suckle too. My HS still have blooms on them. The humming birds are long gone. They inspired me to plant plants that they love.
Kanai Sensei
Stella's Sparky
Endless Heart
Fourth Of July - won this in the ATP raffle this past spring
More buds. Can't wait to see what it does next year.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Linda Beck has a rebloom scape but I don't know if it will bloom. We are going to be having Indian Summer type weather for the next several days so who knows, it just may get warm enough for it to bloom.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I was very happy with Major Wheeler because it blooms very early and starts off red here anyway, so I have a better chance of attracting hummers because they pass through here in March so I was desperate for something that blooms in march.

I think you are not supposed to let daylilies bloom this late in the season, blooming uses up a lot of energy and they need to put that energy into their root system to prepare for winter. I know, Love them blooms!

I already chopped off my scapes and also chopped off all my coneflowers. One coneflower did rebloom after I cut it back and that was Cheyenne Spirit, to my horror they were all purple except one which was orangish pink color. LOL.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Nice to see you all still have things blooming, most of mine have quit because of the rain and cool weather.

Mike, the white moonflower (Datura) tends to be seed weedy. They do the same for my daughter. The last time I grew the white ones was in the front yard in 2002. I have had seeds sprout since then amongst my irises. This year found only 1. Likewise with Morning Glories. Found one this summer twined around an iris fan. I haven't grown them since 2002 either. Goes to show how tough seeds really are.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma you are so right. I started removing them with my fall clean up. If you have the time you could always cut the bud off after the flower die. It is so much easier than waiting for them to become a BIG spike ball. LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.